louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
@louv .... a few posts ago someone asked for Innodrive experiences .... just a reminder ;-)
Right... I did a little testing... it requires a more extensive explanation which I’ll do later... here’s my short take on Active Lane Keeping:

“It’s like letting a slightly drunk, partially blind, novice driver have control of your steering.”

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Sadly, no the car isn’t alerting me to any problem (like it did a couple weeks ago). It just either fails to get through the initial DC Charger handshake, or charges at a rediculously low rate (3kW) or the (least sophisticated) Level 3 charger reports an “internal fault”. But not where the fault lies... car or charger.

Yes, I thank whatever entity is watching over me that I’m here in a big city, with multiple DC chargers (at which to test and fail!) and a large Porsche dealership that is stepping up to give me assistance.

And an available hotel room overlooking the Porsche dealership... just as a bonus... all those pretty cars.

oh, By the way... my name is actually Don. Don Louv. It’s a common thing when I use the handle ‘Louv’ that folks assume my name is Lou V(something).

:cool:
And you don are a true adventurer because the pitfalls are what make the journey memorable and the fun is learning to roll with the waves not against them. Safe travels and soak in the journey.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Just a note that from what I've seen from the discussions in Finland these CCS handshake issues are fairly common. Some cars have a lot of issues with certain charging stations until they "update" the charger somehow. I don't know in more technical detail what is going on with this but I see it every day.

Like someone with car X says this charger works fine, then another with car Y says it never works. Very common issue. But these issues seem to be reduced as the station is somehow updated to work better with car Y.

Not sure if this is what is going on here, or if the car actually has a fault, but this is a possibility. Of course if nothing anywhere works it's more likely the car itself has a fault.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
“The network of Petro-Canada DC Fast charging stations are so new...”

“How new ARE they?”

“...that no one has removed the protective films off the card readers.”

So I’ve been unwrapping presents across Canada. Thank you Canada!

AB5A876C-9CD6-407E-AAC8-DB91D25AF208.jpeg
New car, new chargers, new adventure, you really cannot complain! :like:

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi Don (AKA LOU),
One question for you and one for the general audience:
1. Did the blind spot detection work if you DIDN'T have the nanny control (LKA) on so you would have protection from blind spot but no interference while driving and;
2. Have you or anyone else used an adapter (ie, Teslatap) on a Tesla charging station and if so how did it go.
Thanks and safe travels

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Don (AKA LOU),
One question for you and one for the general audience:
1. Did the blind spot detection work if you DIDN'T have the nanny control (LKA) on so you would have protection from blind spot but no interference while driving and;
yes, blind spot detection works without any other nanny controls being on.

2. Have you or anyone else used an adapter (ie, Teslatap) on a Tesla charging station and if so how did it go.
Thanks and safe travels
I have one. I used it once on a hotel’s Tesla Destination Charger. Worked great.

(just to reiterate: the TeslaTap does NOT work with Tesla Supercharger stations. It ONLY works with AC Destination Charging Stations.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New car, new chargers, new adventure, you really cannot complain! :like:
Unwrapping Charging Stations three or four times a day is like Christmas over and over again! I feel like I should leave out cookies and milk for Santa. But the milk would freeze.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a note that from what I've seen from the discussions in Finland these CCS handshake issues are fairly common. Some cars have a lot of issues with certain charging stations until they "update" the charger somehow. I don't know in more technical detail what is going on with this but I see it every day.

Like someone with car X says this charger works fine, then another with car Y says it never works. Very common issue. But these issues seem to be reduced as the station is somehow updated to work better with car Y.

Not sure if this is what is going on here, or if the car actually has a fault, but this is a possibility. Of course if nothing anywhere works it's more likely the car itself has a fault.
Right. That’s the joy of being an early adopter. I’ve had pretty consistent luck with Petro-Canada’s stations. That’s why I was surprised when this one just wouldn’t work.

Usually if I have an issue, trying a second time works. If four or five tries don’t work then I call to have the station rebooted (it is running windows after all).

But That still didn’t work. And then the next two Level 3 chargers didn’t work. At that point I have to assume it’s the Car.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
yes, blind spot detection works without any other nanny controls being on.

I have one. I used it once on a hotel’s Tesla Destination Charger. Worked great.
Thanks-this just released a lot of anxiety.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Right. That’s the joy of being an early adopter. I’ve had pretty consistent luck with Petro-Canada’s stations. That’s why I was surprised when this one just wouldn’t work.

Usually if I have an issue, trying a second time works. If four or five tries don’t work then I call to have the station rebooted (it is running windows after all).

But That still didn’t work. And then the next two Level 3 chargers didn’t work. At that point I have to assume it’s the Car.
I am curious what porsche says, I see rebooting the pcm with keystrokes or removing a fuse, can fix some problems you are having.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok... here’s a fun twist that I hadn’t considered beforehand. The Canadian introduction of the Taycan isn’t until February 27th. So... the Porsche dealership here in Calgary (and probably the rest of Canada) doesn’t yet have the tools required to work on the car.

And the one Technician who has been trained on these cars gets home from that training... you guessed it: Today. In about 2 hours.

Grab some popcorn, folks... this will be interesting.

Oops, my bad: Driving through a country that can’t fix my (early adopter) car.

Worst case: I get towed south, across the border.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don,
As someone who is keeping his eyes glued to this thread, I just want to say thank you for sharing your journey with us. I hope today works out well for you!
Thank you. As long as I don’t die in a Canadian Snow Storm... it’s all good. Just an Adventure!

Mhoepfin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Unfortunately I expect they’ll find nothing wrong with the car and just suggest you charge level 2 for the rest of your trip. Be prepared for that.....
Sponsored