So, is it acceptable or normal for dealerships to add $20k Premium?

twporscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the market for a Taycan
Country flag
Update 10.19.2021
This is from Porsche NA
Porsche Taycan So, is it acceptable or normal for dealerships to add $20k Premium? porCS

Update 10.14.21 -> 12:40PM
Well quick update.. Guess I'm the idiot for not buying, because the car is either sold or they took off the listing to sell internally. :CWL::CWL:

Contacted a dealer yesterday regarding a car posted on their site for MSRP. The rep replied saying it's available, but "oh wait, please add $20k premium". Makes this buying experience terrible since it feels like they are fishing for customer info or making people go into the dealership to sell their other cars.

https://www.porscheredwoodcity.com/...pUQb0aVMeNdZraj0uG_XTcRYqJIr7CeRtZxjW1XNSaCxo

Porsche Taycan So, is it acceptable or normal for dealerships to add $20k Premium? 245490517_10159011264776973_4040015600054540659_n

Last edited:

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
They can ask whatever they want, but it will only sell with a $20k markup if someone agrees to pay that. In this market, there are probably some people who will pay it.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
They can ask whatever they want, but it will only sell with a $20k markup if someone agrees to pay that. In this market, there are probably some people who will pay it.
"It's only worth what someone will pay for it"

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Welcome to the 2021 Auto market. My local Porsche dealer has three new vehicles on the ground to sell. Not 3 Taycans. Three vehicles TOTAL. And this is the highest volume Porsche dealer in Houston.

THREE.

Price gouging, markups, etc. are completely common now. Wait if you can.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I'd sell my mint 2500 mile full PPF-wrapped '21 RWD today for 20K over what I paid.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I saw this posted in the Facebook group. They can technically do whatever they want, but the question remains if someone is willing to pay 20k over sticker for a car they didn't get to build, and won't even be here until the new year.

Who knows, someone out there might, but my guess is if you have that much coin to blow, you likely also would prefer to build exactly what you want.

The market though is nuts right now. My local dealership has 2 new models on the lot and about 15 "incoming vehicles" on their website, which has been this way since July. Most the incoming are 2021 Macan's.

OP
OP
twporscheguy

twporscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the market for a Taycan
Country flag
I saw this posted in the Facebook group. They can technically do whatever they want, but the question remains if someone is willing to pay 20k over sticker for a car they didn't get to build, and won't even be here until the new year.

Who knows, someone out there might, but my guess is if you have that much coin to blow, you likely also would prefer to build exactly what you want.

The market though is nuts right now. My local dealership has 2 new models on the lot and about 15 "incoming vehicles" on their website, which has been this way since July. Most the incoming are 2021 Macan's.
That was me that posted.
I guess there's too many people loaded with money through the stock market, bitcoin, and nfts. They got the coins to drop on a car, which allows the dealers to do whatever they want.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
That was me that posted.
I guess there's too many people loaded with money through the stock market, bitcoin, and nfts. They got the coins to drop on a car, which allows the dealers to do whatever they want.
Supply and demand. Lots of buying interest with very little supply. Look at the new corvette or bronco. Not unique to Porsche.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd sell my mint 2500 mile full PPF-wrapped '21 RWD today for 20K over what I paid.
I'd sell my mint 6800 mile '20 4S today for 20K UNDER what I paid (waiting for '21 CT 4S)!!!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
If you currently have another mode of transportation, wait it out. From a purely economic perspective there may be a rational supply-&-demand explanation for such an extortion premium, but I could not stomach it to reward such price gouging with my business. You may want to ask whether you also get a $20K premium on your trade-in vehicle, given the equally short supply of used cars.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
It sucks, but they have the right to tack on any ADM onto any inventory car not pre-purchased by a customer in advance at an agreed upon price.

and yeah don't trust ANY online ad that claims they will sell at MSRP until you check the final sticker. That's how they draw in potential customers.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
It sucks, but they have the right to tack on any ADM onto any inventory car not pre-purchased by a customer in advance at an agreed upon price.

and yeah don't trust ANY online ad that claims they will sell at MSRP until you check the final sticker. That's how they draw in potential customers.
Yup, they have the right for sure. MSRP is Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. It's only a suggestion.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
My dealer said their leadership is instituting this - they have low supply and high demand. If they move less cars their costs go up per car - so part is keeping their business going and part is they can. We got lucky for ordering BEFORE all of this!
Sponsored