How practical is Taycan as a daily driver for people in their 60s?

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
Hi fellow Taycan owners and the Porsche family,

Greetings from Taiwan.
My parents in their 60s would like to join the Taycan family.

Before going to the local dealership they'd like to get some rough ideas from other Taycan owners whether Taycan is the right fit for their lifestyle.

Could you share your experience with the following three questions:

1. Is the rear trunk/boot big enough for two large suitcases (28-32"/78-81cm)?

I have read this thread but the luggage appears to be one large and one medium only.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...arge-check-in-luggage-bags-in-the-trunk.4864/

2. Is it difficult for my parents to get in and out of the cars? Coming from a Mercedes sedan driving position, they are worried that Taycan's seat might be too low for their liking. I understand that there is the 14 way seat option that they could potentially opt in.

3. Are Taycans really too wide for standard supermarket parking bays and narrow city alleys?

Here's an image I found on the internet.
Porsche Taycan How practical is Taycan as a daily driver for people in their 60s? Screenshot_20211017-104811~2

We would be really grateful if you could shed some light on these questions. Hopefully this post could benefit other prospective Taycan owners in the future. :)

Thank you.
Sponsored

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Hi fellow Taycan owners and the Porsche family,

Greetings from Taiwan.
My parents in their 60s would like to join the Taycan family.

Before going to the local dealership they'd like to get some rough ideas from other Taycan owners whether Taycan is the right fit for their lifestyle.

Could you share your experience with the following three questions:

1. Is the rear trunk/boot big enough for two large suitcases (28-32"/78-81cm)?

I have read this thread but the luggage appears to be one large and one medium only.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...arge-check-in-luggage-bags-in-the-trunk.4864/

2. Is it difficult for my parents to get in and out of the cars? Coming from a Mercedes sedan driving position, they are worried that Taycan's seat might be too low for their liking. I understand that there is the 14 way seat option that they could potentially opt in.

3. Are Taycans really too wide for standard supermarket parking bays and narrow city alleys?

Here's an image I found on the internet.
Screenshot_20211017-104811~2.png

We would be really grateful if you could shed some light on these questions. Hopefully this post could benefit other prospective Taycan owners in the future. :)

Thank you.
1. The trunk and frunk are more than enough for a long trips worth of luggage. I have taken myself, wife kid and kid bed etc all in a Taycan no problem. And if hey reallllly need more space you can pop down the rear seat and you have tons of space. No worries there, the image you are referring to with one large and one medium is what fits in the frunk alone! I have fit 8 medium size bags in the car easily without seats down.

2. In my experience with my parents riding along, the Taycan is a hard car for 60+ to get in and out of. I am in my early 30s and it’s even a bit hard for me since I’m 6ft. It’s is neither the most comfortable more ergonomic inside either. It’s very much a 911 seating position. It is very low, and compounded by a forward b pillar you have to climb around then drop into the front seats.

3. It’s a wide car and it’s harder to park than my freakin X7 but I live In SF and have never had any issues. Just make sure to get surround view for sure. It’s a must must have.

It’s rides smoother than an s class but that’s where the retiree gt similarities end. And why most in the 70+ demo end up with the E Class coupe or similar, a car I also love btw.

if they are ok with the significant ergo issues it will be a great daily driver, assuming of course they drive less than 200 miles daily.

ALL THAT SAID: from photos and meetups in this forum it looks like the vast majority of owners here are retirees in their 60s+ so there is that.

Last edited:

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
One large and one medium suitcase seems to be correct. I haven’t tried putting suitcases into the boot yet though.

My father is in his 70s and can get in and out of my Taycan without problems. I have the standard 8-way seats, which can be lifted up to get a higher position. Get the driver memory package If you have multiple drivers.

Taycan can squeeze into a regular parking bay, but I look for wider bays or park far away so nobody dings my car.

Get a test drive and try it out. Hopefully your parents will love the Taycan.

OP
OP

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
1. The trunk and frunk are more than enough for a long trips worth of luggage. I have taken myself, wife kid and kid bed etc all in a Taycan no problem. And if hey reallllly need more space you can pop down the rear seat and you have tons of space. No worries there, the image you are referring to with one large and one medium is what fits in the frunk alone!

2. In my experience with my parents riding along, the Taycan is a hard car for 60+ to get in and out of. I am in my early 30s and it’s even a bit hard for me since I’m 6ft. It’s is neither the most comfortable more ergonomic inside either. It’s very much a 911 seating position. It is very low, and compounded by a forward b pillar you have to climb around then drop into the front seats.

3. It’s a wide car and it’s harder to park than my freakin X7 but I live In SF and have never had any issues. Just make sure to get surround view for sure. It’s a must must have.

It’s rides smoother than an s class but that’s where the retiree gt similarities end. And why most in the 70+ demo end up with the E Class coupe or similar, a car I also love btw.

if they are ok with the significant ergo issues it will be a great daily driver, assuming of course they drive less than 200 miles daily.

ALL THAT SAID: from photos and meetups in this forum it looks like the vast majority of owners here are retirees in their 60s+ so there is that.
Many thanks for the prompt reply Chris8536,

Very insightful. Much appreciated.

1. Ideally they would like to carry two adult passengers and two large suitcases at the same time.

2. Yes this would then be a huge problem for them imo. ?? On their list there are also EQE and EQS but they need a new car very soon.

3. This is going to be another problem considering how narrow parking bays are in Taiwan.

They would usually drive 70 miles a day.

It's interesting to see that you mentioned the majority of owners here are retirees. I wonder how they are coping with Taycan as a daily driver. Or maybe Taycan isn't a daily driver for them? Do they regret getting a Taycan or are happy with it? ???

OP
OP

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
One large and one medium suitcase seems to be correct. I haven’t tried putting suitcases into the boot yet though.

My father is in his 70s and can get in and out of my Taycan without problems. I have the standard 8-way seats, which can be lifted up to get a higher position. Get the driver memory package If you have multiple drivers.

Taycan can squeeze into a regular parking bay, but I look for wider bays or park far away so nobody dings my car.

Many thanks for your insightfil comments Mandoyoda,

They would like to pick up friends or family members from/to the airport. So it's an important decision factor whether the boot can fit in two large suitcases. Preferably with some room left to squeeze in another medium or carry-on suitcases.

Great info, I didn't know you can get higher sitting position with just the default 8-way seats. The drivers would just be my parents. Maybe me occasionally if they allow me to drive it...

it may be a challenge to find wide parking bays in Taiwan. I just think that premium cars should also have something similar to Tesla's Sentry Mode imho. It's a great feature.

OP
OP

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag

Does your father like your Taycan if it's a daily driver car for him?

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I daily drive my Taycan. My father is very frail but can easily get in and out from both the driver and passenger doors. He has no issues driving the car, even though it’s wide. He loves the smooth ride and handling.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
In my experience with my parents riding along, the Taycan is a hard car for 60+ to get in and out of. I am in my early 30s and it’s even a bit hard for me since I’m 6ft. It’s is neither the most comfortable more ergonomic inside either. It’s very much a 911 seating position. It is very low, and compounded by a forward b pillar you have to climb around then drop into the front seats.
Instead of facing forward when getting in and out of the car, face away from the car. This way you are basically sitting straight down or standing straight up. You only have to bend at your hips, so especially if you have a bad back, this is the best way to get in and out of a car -- any car, not just the Taycan.

It may still be a challenge for older folks with stiff joints, poor strength, and poor balance. But my 74-year old mother -- who has all three of those problems -- has an easier time getting in and out of my Taycan than she ever did my old 550i.

Yes, surround view makes parking so easy it's basically cheating.

But -- The method I described above honestly only works if the door is open all the way, or nearly all the way. If you can only open it enough to fit your body through, OP's parents are going to have a bad time getting in and out. That is where the Taycan's girth becomes a real problem.

OP
OP

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
Instead of facing forward when getting in and out of the car, face away from the car. This way you are basically sitting straight down or standing straight up. You only have to bend at your hips, so especially if you have a bad back, this is the best way to get in and out of a car -- any car, not just the Taycan.

It may still be a challenge for older folks with stiff joints, poor strength, and poor balance. But my 74-year old mother -- who has all three of those problems -- has an easier time getting in and out of my Taycan than she ever did my old 550i.

Yes, surround view makes parking so easy it's basically cheating.

But -- The method I described above honestly only works if the door is open all the way, or nearly all the way. If you can only open it enough to fit your body through, OP's parents are going to have a bad time getting in and out. That is where the Taycan's girth becomes a real problem.
Many thanks for the reply schad. A very good tip indeed.
I think again the challenge would be getting in and out in a parking spot where you can't really open the door wide enough.

Ebabins

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’m in my mid 60’s and it my daily driver. I love to drive this car. I have no problem parking it nor getting in or out. Having said that I also exercise regularly and have no major joint issues. There is tons of room in trunk, especially with the rear seats down and room for mid sized suitcase in the frunk. Your pare will love this car.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’m 60, daily driver (almost retired)….6’5” tall and yes, it’s a challenge to exit (because of B pillar, not because of low seat), especially if it’s not possible to open door wide.
my mother, 86 has no problems, neither my wife…my conclusion is, that if one doesn’t have more than, let;s say 5’6”, entry/exit should not be a deal breaker.

but if your parents needs more space in rear seats, maybe they should go with CT.
it provides more room for rear passengers’ heads and (if i remember correctly) more space in trunk.

Next, as someone already mentioned: don’t forget to take 360view…and i’d add: rear axle steering.

finally, i’m 100% sure that your parents will love it…it’s a joy to ride…never seen such smiles on faces (me included) in any car before :angel: .

mercedes EQx? Nah…boring :giggle:

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
Why not consider the cross tusimo? You sit A bit higher, more room in the back for passengers, and more luggage space. It is also a bit more of a smooth ride.

OP
OP

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
I’m in my mid 60’s and it my daily driver. I love to drive this car. I have no problem parking it nor getting in or out. Having said that I also exercise regularly and have no major joint issues. There is tons of room in trunk, especially with the rear seats down and room for mid sized suitcase in the frunk. Your pare will love this car.
Many thanks for the reply Ebabins, I'm very happy to hear that the frunk can fit a mid sized suitcase. That's extra space freed up for the trunk. :) My parents should visit the local dealership soon!

OP
OP

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
I’m 60, daily driver (almost retired)….6’5” tall and yes, it’s a challenge to exit (because of B pillar, not because of low seat), especially if it’s not possible to open door wide.
my mother, 86 has no problems, neither my wife…my conclusion is, that if one doesn’t have more than, let;s say 5’6”, entry/exit should not be a deal breaker.

but if your parents needs more space in rear seats, maybe they should go with CT.
it provides more room for rear passengers’ heads and (if i remember correctly) more space in trunk.

Next, as someone already mentioned: don’t forget to take 360view…and i’d add: rear axle steering.

finally, i’m 100% sure that your parents will love it…it’s a joy to ride…never seen such smiles on faces (me included) in any car before :angel: .

mercedes EQx? Nah…boring :giggle:
Many thanks for the reply B61. Another insightful feedback. I did recommend them CT but they prefer the sedan look of the standard Taycan. Plus it's cheaper go start with. Noted, I've heard the rear axle steering is pretty useful in real world driving. Would you recommend the air suspension, too? My parents don't have good impression on air suspension in general because in their current Merc the struts broke down in just two years.

I can't wait to see smiles on their faces too. :)

OP
OP

TaycanTaiwan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
Why not consider the cross tusimo? You sit A bit higher, more room in the back for passengers, and more luggage space. It is also a bit more of a smooth ride.
Many thanks for the reply steen. Agree, I would personally also choose CT due to its roomier space and practicality but my parents prefer the sedan look of the standard Taycan. CT also costs a bit more. :)
Sponsored