Problems charging using Mobile Charger Connect in low temperature?

joacimli

First Name
Joacim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sport Turismo M22 (2:nd Taycan), Porsche 968, 1992
Country flag
Hi guys!

Hope you enjoy your Taycan's as much as I do!
Yesterday when the temperature was semi-low, hovering around 0 C, the car wouldn't start charging when I switched over to "Direct charging" in the app.
It was alternating between "Initializing" and "Charging" and then finally after 10 - 15 minutes it gave up displaying the message, "Charging Error".
I tried changing using the other charging port, but the same behaviour occured.
Eventually after an hour of fiddling, getting in and out of the car several times and changing back to my normal charge port it started charging.

I noticed that the battery temperature was much higher by that time, around 11 C.

Anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?

Regards

Joacim
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Can you clarify if the PMCC was cold, the car's battery was cold, or both? I can't think of a reason why the PMCC being cold would interfere with it's functioning, however the car's battery doesn't like being charged when it's cold. It will first warm the battery then start charging. Maybe what you observed is normal behavior.

OP
OP
joacimli

joacimli

First Name
Joacim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you clarify if the PMCC was cold, the car's battery was cold, or both? I can't think of a reason why the PMCC being cold would interfere with it's functioning, however the car's battery doesn't like being charged when it's cold. It will first warm the battery then start charging. Maybe what you observed is normal behavior.
I would say that both were cold, I had the car disconnected during a couple of days, the temperature dropped and I connected the car for a planned journey the following day.
The problem as I see it is that the car would try to charge, but no charge was received, then stop and display a error message.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I would say that both were cold, I had the car disconnected during a couple of days, the temperature dropped and I connected the car for a planned journey the following day.
The problem as I see it is that the car would try to charge, but no charge was received, then stop and display a error message.
Hi, I am in Stockholm just now and experienced something similar. I was plugged in on a normal 220 volt socket so I would only get just over 2 kW. Same red light appeared but cleared after an hour or so. I was not using a PMCC but a Mercedes EVSE. I had set a minimum charge of 80% and nothing else. I think the battery was heated as a priority and once it was warm enough it started charging. It all worked out in the end for me. .

I am not sure how you used the PMCC? How many amps could you draw. Normal plug or 16 or 32 amp CEE plug? etc.

OP
OP
joacimli

joacimli

First Name
Joacim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a 16 A fuse at the moment, will get 11 kW on Friday... ?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have a 16 A fuse at the moment, will get 11 kW on Friday... ?
16 amps fuse on a single phase? If so that would give abort 3.5 kW. Most of that could go for heating the battery.

You will see a huge improvement when you have installed the 11 kW. Good luck

AZSUT

First Name
Azeem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Saloon
Country flag
Hi, I am in Stockholm just now and experienced something similar. I was plugged in on a normal 220 volt socket so I would only get just over 2 kW. Same red light appeared but cleared after an hour or so. I was not using a PMCC but a Mercedes EVSE. I had set a minimum charge of 80% and nothing else. I think the battery was heated as a priority and once it was warm enough it started charging. It all worked out in the end for me. .

I am not sure how you used the PMCC? How many amps could you draw. Normal plug or 16 or 32 amp CEE plug? etc.

Hi,

I am in the UK and regularly use the PMCC "trickle charger" (or "granny charger") to add 20% during the day to the car (Taycan GTS) at a speed of about 2kwh.

Yesterday, the battery was 5 degrees celcius when I started charging. The car refused to charge, kept initialising, and then showed the red error. This didn't improve.

Did you resolve your problem and if so how?

Thanks
Sponsored