Does it take more energy to heat or to cool the interior?

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550i, Porsche Cayman GT4, Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Mk II
Country flag
I am finalising my spec and have some doubts regarding options that impact the interior climatisation of the car (heat pump,. glass roof, heated seats and ventilated seats).
If the car has been parked outdoors, without charging, does ti take more energy from the battery to get the temperature down to normal if parked in the sun or does it take more energy to bring the interior temperature up, if parked in the cold?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
No idea on the specifics of the Taycan but normally AC is way more efficient than heating... but they taycan does have a heat pump which is much better than traditional heating elements.

OP
OP

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No idea on the specifics of the Taycan but normally AC is way more efficient than heating... but they taycan does have a heat pump which is much better than traditional heating elements.
Thanks for the quick reply!
In Europe the heat pump is optional (in the US it is standard), so it might be worth it to add it. The cost is €787 which is approximately $850.

OP
OP

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just checked and heat pump standard for the UK
That is indeed correct, but I believe the UK is the only market in Europe where it is standard. It is not standard for example in Germany, Spain or Sweden (in Sweden it should be!).

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
With a heat pump it’s the temperature differential that will determine amount of energy. So going from 10c to 20c should be comparable to 30c to 20c.

otherwise resistive heating is much more of an energy hit.
Sponsored