Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
From the Taycan manual, 80-120kph (Overtaking acceleration) times are 1.7 sec for the Turbo S, 1.9 sec for the Turbo. Evidently the hp difference is not just from a stop.

Overtaking acceleration

(80–120km/h) (seconds) Turbo S - 1.7, Turbo - 1.9
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I think if that 0.2 seconds is critical in passing a car before I merge back in maybe I should reconsider that decision....

o_O

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
From the Taycan manual, 80-120kph (Overtaking acceleration) times are 1.7 sec for the Turbo S, 1.9 sec for the Turbo. Evidently the hp difference is not just from a stop.
All sources on www (even Porsche employees) are telling that difference between Turbo and Turbo S is only based on Launch Control ..... your numbers (official Porsche numbers - I know) could result from a Launch Control 0-120 minus 0-80

Last edited:

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
All sources on www (even Porsche employees) are telling that difference between Turbo and Turbo S is only based on Launch Control ..... your numbers (official Porsche numbers - I know) could result from a Launch Control 0-120 minus 0-80
I think this is the likely truth. Shouldn't be any difference going from steady 80kph to full throttle. But if you calculate 80-120 time from a launch control start then this is what you get.

If it isn't, well then a lot of sources have been talking bullshit.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The front motor of the Turbo S has a bigger inverter so it's no surprise it's (a little) faster.

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this is the likely truth. Shouldn't be any difference going from steady 80kph to full throttle. But if you calculate 80-120 time from a launch control start then this is what you get.

If it isn't, well then a lot of sources have been talking bullshit.
If the 80-120 time reported separately is from a standstill, it's misleading at best. There is definitely some bs somewhere.

Last edited:

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The front motor of the Turbo S has a bigger inverter so it's no surprise it's (a little) faster.
Yes - of course it has another converter .... otherwise the Launch Control would be not different ... the LC is the onliest advantage of the bigger converter .... see Jay Leno‘s Garage video ... at 1:16 min the Porsche Taycan Product Spokesperson for America said exactly the same

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well one thing is probably true: having the larger inverter the Turbo S can, under software control, boost outputs at any time in short bursts. We know it does it under launch control, but its unclear whether it currently does it under any other heavy acceleration. Not to say this couldn't be changed later on.

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche routinely reports 'in-gear acceleration time' as well as 'flexibility' showing acceleration times in 5th gear from 80-120 kph. I would assume this is an 'in-gear' time from 80-120. If it's simply the 0-120 time minus the 0-80 time, that's useless and ridiculous. From a previous thread, these are the official Porsche times. The Turbo is .4 sec slower to 100km/h. I don't think it is quicker from 100-120, so the 80-120 time of the Turbo S is quicker.

Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs Turbo - 80-120kph times screenshot_20190929-191313_adobe-acrobat-

Last edited:

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
... so all the Porsche representatives and all reviewers are wrong in saying that only difference between Turbo and Turbo S is Launch Control ... pretty weird - isn't it?

... and additionally it would make no sense to have both cars with the same power of 625 PS.

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually, if you simply subtract the 0-80 from the 0-120 times to get the 80-120 times you get about 1.3 seconds for both the Turbo and Turbo S. This is clearly an 'in-gear acceleration' test, where they floor it at 80 kph and time it from that speed to 120 kph. The times of 1.7 and 1.9 are considerably slower than what they would be for the standing start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could be a simple answer here. The Turbo S has a larger inverter on the front engine which allows it to generate more torque. In Launch control there is more torque and hp. The hp doesn't really matter until you're close to maximum rpm, which is where the 750 HP is developed. It does appear that the larger inverter is delivering a continuous higher torque, which makes sense.

Also shown is the inverter, which, for the front motor, comes in two flavors: 300 amp peak output (190 amp continuous) and 600 amp (380 amp continuous), with the latter coming in the Turbo S and enabling a maximum output of 255 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque during short launch events (and 295 lb-ft for longer durations). The standard Turbo model’s front motor, with its 300 amp inverter, pumps out 238 horsepower and a maximum of 221 lb-ft.

Yes, from multiple sources, although the continuous HP is the same for both cars, the continuous torque is not. The Turbo S front inverter provides continuous torque of up to 295 lb-ft. and the Turbo is 221 lb-ft. That means the Turbo S will pull harder at all speeds when floored. Looks like some of the reviewers don't understand this.

Last edited:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Could be a simple answer here. The Turbo S has a larger inverter on the front engine which allows it to generate more torque. In Launch control there is more torque and hp. The hp doesn't really matter until you're close to maximum rpm, which is where the 750 HP is developed. It does appear that the larger inverter is delivering a continuous higher torque, which makes sense.

Also shown is the inverter, which, for the front motor, comes in two flavors: 300 amp peak output (190 amp continuous) and 600 amp (380 amp continuous), with the latter coming in the Turbo S and enabling a maximum output of 255 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque during short launch events (and 295 lb-ft for longer durations). The standard Turbo model’s front motor, with its 300 amp inverter, pumps out 238 horsepower and a maximum of 221 lb-ft.

Yes, from multiple sources, although the continuous HP is the same for both cars, the continuous torque is not. The Turbo S front inverter provides continuous torque of up to 295 lb-ft. and the Turbo is 221 lb-ft. That means the Turbo S will pull harder at all speeds when floored. Looks like some of the reviewers don't understand this.
Correct.

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
I don’t see how the continuous hp can be the same but one have higher continuous torque? Assuming they have the same gearing then the rpm for each will be the same so a difference in torque will cause a corresponding increase in hp.

What we don’t know is for how long the extra launch control boost is engaged for.
If it is still even slightly in play at 80kph then it will give a small improvement to the 80-120 time.
Every test I’ve seen has always measured rolling acceleration tests as part of a sustained run. Ie, from a lower speed or standing start.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
That's the classic discussion about hp vs torque.
The Turbo S can maintain max torque for a longer period of time while at same hp as the Turbo cuz of the bigger inverter.
Something like that?

PS LC is activated for 2.5 sec per launch.
Sponsored