JohnnyCage

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Country flag
Nice! Can’t wait to see a pic of the actual car with the wheels done like this?

Benji_OOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan, '13 911, 01 911, e-tron, Tesla S75D
Country flag
Having had to stick with the S Aero wheels, i would be very interested to see if someone has a go at the design by @JohnnyCage
I ordered 3M film earlier this week to attempt to DIY this style. I've been having some second thoughts on doing that method or the reverse (as shown by those carbon wrapped wheels earlier) Just because the latter seems easier to do. I bought enough to do the version pictured below. The left overs will more than cover trying it the easier way if it looks too black in person. I'll share photos of the results either way.
Porsche Taycan Cheap mod for Aero S wheels Tayca

Last edited:

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
I ordered 3M film earlier this week to attempt to DIY this style. I've been having some second thoughts on doing that method or the reverse (as shown by those carbon wrapped wheels earlier) Just because the latter seems easier to do. I bought enough to do the version pictured below. The left overs will more than cover trying it the easier way if it looks too black in person. I'll share photos of the results either way.
Taycan.png
Excellent?

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Taycan.png

I ordered a vvivid matte black and will try to wrap it in a couple of weeks. Is the barrel also black? I wasn't going to touch the barrel, just the face.

Benji_OOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered a vvivid matte black and will try to wrap it in a couple of weeks. Is the barrel also black? I wasn't going to touch the barrel, just the face.
If you order the 2nd wheel option "Taycan S Aero wheels" you get the gloss black the barrel and part of the face will be black like on my car. the base wheel is all silver.

Porsche Taycan Cheap mod for Aero S wheels PXL_20211207_211214153

Mazikeen

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Cayenne, '22 Taycan
Country flag
Hi, I am new here. From NL and my paint skills are not great:dance:.

Since few seem to like any of the standard wheel options the standard versions are ordered often and I was inspired by @PITTSBURGHTAYCAN here.

I used the even cheaper wheels. It does not magically make then 21" but I quite like em now.. What do you think?

Original:
taycan aero s standard.PNG

Cheap mod:
taycan aero s center blacked.jpg
Better! I got the cheaper wheels also because I found a local body shop that would do a custom paint job. Hope mine turn out as nice yours (once I get the car, that is!!).

Benji_OOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Having had to stick with the S Aero wheels, i would be very interested to see if someone has a go at the design by @JohnnyCage
Phew! That was a tiring 7 hours spent lying on the garage floor... I think the results look great but this reverse of this would have been way easier and I wish I had done that first just to that look too to decide which I liked in person. The 3m 2080 gloss black wrap matches the paint on the wheel perfectly and you can't even see the overlap where they meet.

Lessons to learn from:
  • Get a jack and remove the wheels so you can comfortably do this on a table indoors, if you are a perfectionist this will save you so much trouble and discomfort.
  • Find a good way to mask the gloss black surface of the wheel to avoid scratches with the knife
  • removing the wheel center cap made it much easier, this can be done by prying around the edge with a dull thin blade or tool
  • removing the protective plastic after squeegee-ing before slicing makes it much easier to cut further minimizing chances of scratching the paint.
  • use a heat gun or hairdryer to work the film in tricky spots to avoid bubbles and wrinkles.
  • TAKE OFF THE WHEELS
  • try doing the reverse pattern first if you are curious because that would take 15 min per wheel

Porsche Taycan Cheap mod for Aero S wheels PXL_20211214_235815029
Porsche Taycan Cheap mod for Aero S wheels PXL_20211214_235650735
Porsche Taycan Cheap mod for Aero S wheels PXL_20211214_235737825
Porsche Taycan Cheap mod for Aero S wheels PXL_20211214_235755613

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
@Benji_OOS , this looks really good. Makes me want to work on the wheels to see what the matte black looks like. I suppose I'll give it a go after my openevse project is done.

Benji_OOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Benji_OOS , this looks really good. Makes me want to work on the wheels to see what the matte black looks like. I suppose I'll give it a go after my openevse project is done.
For matte black you'll definitely want to take your time to get a good edge so that the transition between the factory gloss and wrap looks good.