2020 Turbo needs a new high power battery

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I knew getting a 2020 would make me a beta tester but I didn't think it would be this bad. My card was dead about 5 days into ownership. It had to get towed in. It had the 12 v issue. It went back a few times to get updated. It was doing fine for many months. Then in the last 3 months it would only charge to 60 something percent. I had it set to 85%. I would hit direct charging and sometimes it would go to above 80% but rarely hit 85%. I would see a charging error listed on the app. Then one day it was dead in my office parking lot. It got towed in again. So what they found was there are 2 issues. I need a new charging cable. That must have been the charging issue. I also need a new high power battery. The service manager said Porsche hasn't published anything but he's hearing about this happening to 2020's. They are going to put in a 2021 battery when they get one. Hopefully that solves the problem. Thankfully I wasn't driving when it died.

Porsche Taycan 2020 Turbo needs a new high power battery F39AD518-5F4D-41EC-9CBC-D0B18F2ACD32
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
What is their solution for you while you wait for a battery? How long did they expect you’ll have to wait?

Last edited:
OP
OP
thedoctor

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What is their solution for you while you wait for a battery? How long did they expect you’ll have to wait?
I have a Macan base loaner. Not quite the same as a Taycan turbo but it’s nice enough. I set it up for the long haul and put in my phone mount and charging cables and all the daily need stuff I keep in my car Bc I suspect it will be awhile. There is a battery they located in New Jersey. I live in Illinois. So they are trying to get it. The charging cable is coming from Germany. The service advisor who is now a friend Bc I’ve dealt with him so much with this car, said 1-2 weeks to get battery. So I’m guessing a month. I might ask to see if he can get me a Taycan 4S in the meantime. He even said that Porsche should do something for me like cover a few payments. I paid cash so I don’t have any payments. 3/4 of my mission E wheels have paint damage. So I might ask for them to fix those to compensate me.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
They are going to put in a 2021 battery when they get one. Hopefully that solves the problem. Thankfully I wasn't driving when it died.
According to this post and the linked Porsche service bulletin, you are indeed getting an upgrade to the 2021+ battery with updated cell chemistry.
I read a couple of posts stating that the traction battery replacement labor was around 4-5 hours, but I can't find them now. So apart from the wait time for the new battery, it seems like you are fortunate to be receiving a free battery upgrade.

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your story. Getting the newer battery chemistry would be desirable speaking strictly for myself. Good info.

Last edited:

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I wonder what led them to reconfigure the battery after just one model year. Yikes for my 2020

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm hoping for a new battery - I have less than 20k miles on my Taycan - and I'm down 8% overall capacity - if my battery fails I'll happily wait for the warranty replacement unit.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm hoping for a new battery - I have less than 20k miles on my Taycan - and I'm down 8% overall capacity - if my battery fails I'll happily wait for the warranty replacement unit.
How do you determine your car is down on overall capacity?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
dealer inspection @ 18k miles - I had them pull the battery capacity - it reports 92% - if it was below 80% it would trigger the warranty…I'm a bit disappointed at 8% capacity loss in less than 2 years and 20k mile - none of my Tesla's or 2 Bolts showed that type of battery degrade…

Porsche Taycan 2020 Turbo needs a new high power battery Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 2.56.54 PM

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
dealer inspection @ 18k miles - I had them pull the battery capacity - it reports 92% - if it was below 80% it would trigger the warranty…I'm a bit disappointed at 8% capacity lose in less than 2 years and 20k mile - none of my Tesla's or 2 Bolts showed that type of battery degrade…

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 2.56.54 PM.png
Thanks for this info. I am assuming that when the car is delivered, if they measured capacity at that point it would/should have been at 100%.

I also conclude from your reply that "battery capacity" is not something an owner can check from info the car provides. Is that right?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Potential issues with the large battery and changes in battery tech are the main reasons I decided to lease vs purchase my 2020 even though Porsche’s lease program was not the most cost effective.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for this info. I am assuming that when the car is delivered, if they measured capacity at that point it would/should have been at 100%.

I also conclude from your reply that "battery capacity" is not something an owner can check from info the car provides. Is that right?
well I think you can do it yourself if you have a PWIS (Porsche data computer) but yeah most owners can not do this themselves…

I am also assuming it was 98-100% leaving the factory…but I did not confirm it at delivery time so that's just an assumption on my part.

so my 2020 Taycan Turbo is down 8% in 18 months of ownership about 0.44%/month battery capacity loss…I'm not sure I"m entirely pleased with this…and I will continue to monitor - I personally would love for it to fall outside of a warranty and get a new battery from Porsche with a newer chemistry.

as I said the most capacity I lost with my Tesla's was my 2014 model s P85D - which when I sold it with 5x,000 miles on it had lost about 4-5% capacity from delivery (which I did check on delivery vs. when I sold it).
  • My 2013 Model S with 26k miles had lost 3% battery in 18 months
  • My 2014 Model S with 5xK miles had lost 4% battery in 48+ months
  • My 2016 Model X P90D with 14k miles had lost 2% battery in 12 months
  • My 2017 Model X P100D with 56k miles had lost 5% battery in 48+ months (sold outside of warranty)
  • My 2018 Model 3 Perf with 32k miles had lost 2% battery in less than 24 months and less than 30k mile
  • My 2017 Bolt with 25k miles had lost no more than 3% battery
  • My 2019 Bolt with 12k miles had lost no more than 2% battery
so my 2020 Taycan is so far winning for the worse battery degrade I've experienced in 8/9 years of EV ownership…as I said I'll continue to track.

Last edited:

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S (sold)
Country flag
Are you sure they're not taking winter/weather conditions into account when looking at your degradation?

I have a Model 3, which I've had for 3 years but only put 20k miles on. It's degraded from 310mi to 260mi and I have baby'd it (mainly charging to 70-80%, few supercharging, etc). But it is currently in light (PNW) winter conditions.

I'd expect Porsche pulling the battery data to be cleverer, but I'm just wondering if they are actually naively looking at the predicted max range, which would take weather into account...

OP
OP
thedoctor

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
i noticed with my own battery that for the equivalent charging percentage the range was lower. So when I charged to 85% the car told me I had 200 miles of range. Shortly before the death of the battery, it was showed 185 miles of range. So I was thinking either the car took into account that it’s colder outside or that something was wrong.
Sponsored