OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Finally have custom plate on albeit mounted to the OEM 'Monkey Butt' holder - that will change with a custom alternate - final look pending!

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_4793

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So here is an example (PDF with some images attached) of a design I threw together to replace the OEM Monkey Butt plate holder :)

Super simple and plastic material would optimally match the grey of the valance.

A very first pass - welcome to hear your thoughts - I have not as yet even discussed what the Pro shop I am taking it too might offer instead but will be there Monday to find out!

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.26.22 PM

Attachments

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
So here is an example (PDF with some images attached) of a design I threw together to replace the OEM Monkey Butt plate holder :)

Super simple and plastic material would optimally match the grey of the valance.

A very first pass - welcome to hear your thoughts - I have not as yet even discussed what the Pro shop I am taking it too might offer instead but will be there Monday to find out!

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.26.22 PM.png
Does replacing the "monkey butt" change the aerodynamics of the car (biggest impact not necessarily being range, but perhaps how the car or its rear camera get dirty)? I would assume Porsche engineers did some aero testing on the US license plate mount.

That said, personally I don't mind the look of the US rear plate mount. When I look at it I see a perfect opportunity to mount laser jamming heads near the license plate (where most LEO will shoot their laser guns). ;)

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does replacing the "monkey butt" change the aerodynamics of the car (biggest impact not necessarily being range, but perhaps how the car or rear camera gets dirty)? I would assume Porsche engineers did some aero testing on the US license plate mount.

That said, personally I don't mind the look of the US rear plate mount. When I look at it I see a perfect opportunity to mount laser jamming heads near the license plate (where most LEO will shoot their laser guns). ;)
Re first pt. I doubt to any extent that I would be concerned with (especially as numerous variants in Europe and elsewhere have a far more streamlined setup like I a trying to retrofit) and to your second pt., of course always a personal choice .

I am a serious nit-picker I guess when it comes to design, esp. clean lines, and the US holder is just plain ugly to me and entirely unnecessary for it to be so. No issues with laser jammers either which I too will likely be installing :)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Re first pt. I doubt to any extent that I would be concerned with (especially as numerous variants in Europe and elsewhere have a far more streamlined setup like I a trying to retrofit) and to your second pt., of course always a personal choice .

I am a serious nit-picker I guess when it comes to design, esp. clean lines, and the US holder is just plain ugly to me and entirely unnecessary for it to be so. No issues with laser jammers either which I too will likely be installing :)
Different priorities on mods for different people. Mine will most likely be done in this order: tint, clear side markers, radar/laser defense, front license plate decal, then maybe look into amber directional indicators (a.k.a. blinkers) on the rear, and see if I can enable the matrix headlights while the government gears are grinding slowly to approve them. Of course, step one is to get a car. It seems Porsche is still waiting on something to produce CT Turbo for the USA market.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Different priorities on mods for different people. Mine will most likely be done in this order: tint, clear side markers, radar/laser defense, front license plate decal, then maybe look into amber directional indicators (a.k.a. blinkers) on the rear, and see if I can enable the matrix headlights while the government gears are grinding slowly to approve them. Of course, step one is to get a car. It seems Porsche is still waiting on something to produce CT Turbo for the USA market.
Perhaps you could take a look at the start of this thread also featured in the forum NEWS section for a while now - my mod plans are as broad as almost every car I've modded - exception this time round possibly that I am having others do some of the modding for me :)

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rismo-4s-from-order-to-delivery-to-mods.8208/

In regards your list, I already have Xpel, Tint, clear side markers done; also no need nor will I ever put on a front lic. decal; matrix activation have already discussed on a number of threads - pointless until it is allowed or if you can hack PIWIS3 but yes of course will take it and have it's equivalent activated on my M4 via a coding expert!

More important to me in respect priority are installing the CETE suspension control, STEK front windshield protection and painting the fender plastic the body color which will be done next week.

So if by ' different priorities' you mean my lic. plate mod then it is well and truly way down the list in my order of priority.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps you could take a look at the start of this thread also featured in the forum NEWS section for a while now - my mod plans are as broad as almost every car I've modded - exception this time round possibly that I am having others do some of the modding for me :)

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rismo-4s-from-order-to-delivery-to-mods.8208/

In regards your list, I already have Xpel, Tint, clear side markers done; also no need nor will I ever put on a front lic. decal; matrix activation have already discussed on a number of threads - pointless until it is allowed or if you can hack PIWIS3 but yes of course will take it and have it's equivalent activated on my M4 via a coding expert!

More important to me in respect priority are installing the CETE suspension control, STEK front windshield protection and painting the fender plastic the body color which will be done next week.

So if by ' different priorities' you mean my lic. plate mod then it is well and truly way down the list in my order of priority.
By different priorities I mean your list seems to have more esthetic mods than mine. My list is more along the lines of functional mods, with only minor cosmetic ones. For example, I have no plan for PPF, paint corrections, and such. Will tint because I like darker inside on sunny days and more heat rejection, so primary motivation is functional, rather than looks. License plate decal because I have gotten pulled over in the past for not having one on my car - lucky I had temporary registration still, so the cop just told me to go and not forget to put it on when it arrives, then he went to ticket the next car - the cops camped out right at the exit from a large office parking at the end of the day and pulled over cars without front license plates as people were leaving offices to go home - easy money for the city I guess, make up any quotas with little effort (trivial to catch and pull over on foot, no viable court challenges, media will not feel bad if a bunch of high end cars get ticketed since that's just paying their fair share). A decal keeps the cops away but doesn't affect the car's aerodynamics or interfere with any sensors - I have been doing this for years on my cars.

Last edited:

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By different priorities I mean your list seems to have more esthetic mods than mine. My list is more along the lines of functional mods, with only minor cosmetic ones. For example, I have no plan for PPF, paint corrections, and such. Will tint because I like darker inside on sunny days and more heat rejection, so primary motivation is functional, rather than looks. License plate decal because I have gotten pulled over in the past for not having one on my car - lucky I had temporary registration still, so the cop just told me to go and not forget to put it on when it arrives, then he went to ticket the next car - the cops camped out right at the exit from a large office parking at the end of the day and pulled over cars without front license plates as people were leaving offices to go home - easy money for the city I guess, make up any quotas with little effort (trivial to catch and pull over on foot, no viable court challenges, media will not feel bad if a bunch of high end cars get ticketed since that's just paying their fair share). A decal keeps the cops away but doesn't affect the car's aerodynamics or interfere with any sensors - I have been doing this for years on my cars.
Hardly a list - tint, side markers and a decal?

The only difference is that I am doing a lot more than you, some of which are entirely functional and some indeed cosmetic - if you’re truly not interested in mods then why are you commenting in a mods thread?

Functional mods
Tint - Heat/glare -arguably cosmetic
PPF - clearly protecting the paintwork and windscreen
CETE - suspension lowering, obvious
Display protectors - internal

Cosmetic mods
- Clear side markers
- Painted arches
- License plate holder redesign
- Rear reflectors replacement

- Choice to use front plate or not - you’re doing a cosmetic not a functional change to a decal - does nothing to the cars performance or operation.

Laws re front plates vary by State in respect enforcement - in 35 years of owning cars in the US alone I’ve never been ticketed so no issue for me but entirely understand the need in other States.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hardly a list - tint, side markers and a decal?
The bigger mods on my list will be radar/laser defense, and potentially enabling the matrix headlights. The latter will require some reverse engineering and hacking, which might also allow me to integrate the radar/laser with the cars displays or HUD somehow.

The decal is purely functional for me - keep away the hassle of paying tickets while not impacting the car's functions. The only esthetic mod is the side markers, as even the amber rear directional lights for me is motivated by function - a faster and more clear communication of my intent to the driver behind me.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The bigger mods on my list will be radar/laser defense, and potentially enabling the matrix headlights. The latter will require some reverse engineering and hacking, which might also allow me to integrate the radar/laser with the cars displays or HUD somehow.

The decal is purely functional for me - keep away the hassle of paying tickets while not impacting the car's functions. The only esthetic mod is the side markers, as even the amber rear directional lights for me is motivated by function - a faster and more clear communication of my intent to the driver behind me.
We'll have to agree to disagree on what 'functional' means in the context of modding but no worries - and of course my list includes the laser/radar add too and yes, I do not consider a laser detector a mod :).

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick last view of car with OEM fender arches - first wash today (see separate post) in prep for hand-off to the Extreme shop for STEK windshield protection and painting of fender arches. Will also be using the shop for a rear-laser solution and modifying the rear lic. plate holder (latter should also get done next week)

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_4822

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_4824

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do not consider a laser detector a mod :).
If you are using a windshield mounted unit hanging off your mirror or a suction cup, I agree, not much of a mod. I however install an integrated radar + laser jammer system, which involves installing components under the front and rear bumper aprons, integrating in-cabin display/control, etc - something akin to this:

My current car has the front+back radar+laser Stinger VIP system. I especially like the fiber laser heads (super tiny, very easy to hide on the outside of the car), but I am also considering the ALP system shown in the above as an alternative, or possibly a combo system, one for laser, another for radar.

Anyways, if you have to take off bumper aprons, potentially disassemble part of the interior to install, that is a mod in my book.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are using a windshield mounted unit hanging off your mirror or a suction cup, I agree, not much of a mod. I however install an integrated radar + laser jammer system, which involves installing components under the front and rear bumper aprons, integrating in-cabin display/control, etc - something akin to this:

My current car has the front+back radar+laser Stinger VIP system. I especially like the fiber laser heads (super tiny, very easy to hide on the outside of the car), but I am also considering the ALP system shown in the above as an alternative, or possibly a combo system, one for laser, another for radar.

Anyways, if you have to take off bumper aprons, potentially disassemble part of the interior to install, that is a mod in my book.
Have an ALP and integrated radar in two cars - It’s simply an add on - a mod means modifying an OEM component but honestly, if you don’t get that, that’s OK. Let’s just move on.

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
Quick last view of car with OEM fender arches - first wash today (see separate post) in prep for hand-off to the Extreme shop for STEK windshield protection and painting of fender arches. Will also be using the shop for a rear-laser solution and modifying the rear lic. plate holder (latter should also get done next week)

IMG_4822.jpeg

IMG_4824.jpeg
Man that volcano looks incredible. Sincerely wish I would have opted for it. Also, love the black rear plate - I would need to register my car as a military vehicle to get that over here - but hey, the CT is a bit of a tank I guess.