TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
My 2020 I bought off the lot, they had configured it. So I made quite a few changes in configurator after driving it for 10 months.
2021-12-23 received new 2022 Taycan 4S. Are people interested in my observances of the difference between my 2020 and 2022?

2022 Build Sheet
Y1ADB1 2022 $USD Pos. MTYP/Option Text Retail Price

1 Y1ADB1 Taycan 4S 103,800.00
2 L0 Mamba Green Metallic 800.00
3 QW Leather Interior in Black/Chalk 4,700.00
4 1NP Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest 190.00
5 2V4 Ionizer 350.00
6 2W9 Power Charge Port Cover 640.00
7 47I 20" Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels 2,380.00
8 4A4 Heated Seats (Rear) 530.00
9 4D3 Ventilated Seats (Front) 850.00
10 5KA Rear 2+1 Seats 480.00
11 6FU Exterior Mirrors in Exterior Color 660.00
12 6XV Power Folding Exterior Mirrors 330.00
13 79J Lane Change Assist (LCA) 950.00
14 8IU LED-Matrix Design Headlights incl. PDLS+ 1,970.00
15 9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System 1,200.00
16 GT6 Interior Accents in Exterior Color 1,000.00
17 J9K Performance Battery Plus (93.4 kWh) 5,570.00
18 KA6 Surround View 1,200.00
19 P49 Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) 2,050.00
20 Q2J Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package 1,510.00
21 QJ4 Window Trim in High Gloss Black 400.00
22 VR4 SportDesign Side Skirts 1,030.00
23 VW5 Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass 1,130.00
24 Z3C 3 Years of 30 min DC Charging Sessions w/ Electrify America 0.00
25 P4D Performance Package 6,430.00
Porsche Electric Sport Sound 0.00
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+) 0.00
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) 0.00
Rear Axle Steering 0.00
26 8LH Sport Chrono Package 0.00

Items highlighted are changes from my 2020 Taycan.

Not listed and removed/changed from 2020 on my 2022
  • Remove glass roof, steel roof. 24 P4A Premium Package 7,170.00
  • Remove Porsche Logo on door open light displayed on the ground. 21 UD1 Under Door Puddle Light Projectors 330.00
  • Remove steering wheel heating. 2ZC Steering Wheel Heating i.c.w. Leather Interior 280.00
  • Remove Porsche crest on seat headrest. 9 5ZF Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front and Rear) 570.00
  • Remove Body color keys. 12 AFL Vehicle Keys Painted incl. One Key Pouch in Leather 540.00
  • Remove 16 KM2 On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger 460.00
  • Remove 17 NW2 Mobile Charger Connect 1,120.00
  • Remove 18 P4S Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) 3,610.00
  • Remove 20 QW5 Porsche Intelligent Range Manager 300.00
Sponsored

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Always interested in experience based comparisons

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I would be interested to see what is the difference between 2020 vs. 2022.
Are you an Android Auto user by any chance to have input on that feature introduced on 2022?

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As requested my observed differences between the two cars. I don’t have the 2020 anymore, so these are “by memory”. List is not in any particular order. My wife likely would not notice a single thing in my list ?
  • This car is quieter, I assume the upgraded sound insolated glass helps this. Probably the steel roof helps as well. During a very hard rain I could barely hear the wipers and even the rain hitting the windshield at high speed was very muted. Haven’t had a good hot sunny day to test UV heating. The metal roof will also certainly help that! At this poing most of the noise in the cabin is through the body/suspension, still the quietest and smoothest car I have ever been in.
  • Plug and charge worked once, second time I tried it at EA it didn’t work. Called EA, they were unable to debug the problem. I suspect the problem was on their end.
  • I Love the shorter turning radius of the rear axle steering, no noticeable difference besides that. It tracks super well, but the old car did as well. I can’t tell if new one is better/same/worse.
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA) seems to be better, but still a bit lame. They don’t have standard feedback control. In other words the car still bounces between lane paint instead of picking one line and following it. It also still has trouble recognizing some lane markers, even newly painted very, very visible ones.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control ACC now seems to be slightly integrated with the “recuperation AUTO” function, as it should be. When using Recup Auto as you near a car it acts more like it switched to ACC, much nicer.
  • Interior Accents, the interior “door handles” in exterior color (Mamba Green) look quite nice! IMHO all the other accents through the cabine in “dark silver” cannot really be noticed, seems like a waste for all those pieces.
  • The interior door handles seem to operate differently and easier. Pulling slightly and the door electrically unlatches. If you pull hard you mechanically un-latch the door to open.
  • Rear trunk opening using my foot still rarely works so it continues to be an unused feature. I seem to only be able to open the frunk by waving my hands when I DON’T want the frunk to open…
  • The radio controls are slightly different. I have not gotten those dialed in yet. I mainly listen to SXM radio, sadly it doesn’t start playing whatever was the last source. Still no power on volume configuration.
  • I have not pushed the car and done much driving in Sport +, other than a few full launch mode starts. Seems about the same as old car, fast! Only measuring would tell. Sadly they still don’t seem to do automatic full power in anything but launch mode. Why not automate that, if I ever stomp on the accelerator just use full power for X seconds!!!!
  • Range mode top speed still default 60mph, I knew to change that immediately. Sadly, this is one item Road and Track downgraded the Taycan on in their 2022 car of the year competition.
  • Seemingly no range improvement. Wasn’t really expecting anything large but was hoping for a minor improvement.
  • The new My Porsche App is ok, some features are easier than the old one, some features still missing. I assume this will continue to improve. It lost the tire pressure display feature. I am an IOS phone user only. No idea about Android interactions. I wish this app could mimic the key fob so full local control of the car (lock etc). Why carry a fob?
  • The main PCM seems a bit faster, but no huge change (if any).
  • PDLS +, I cannot see any movement of the lights when turning. I assume “Dynamic cornering light” isn’t a real, or useful function even though I paid for it. It might be super subtle but should not be…
  • The number of EA charging stations is pathetic. They still seem to break quite often, even the few that are open.
  • The brakes now see to use only friction braking in the first few minutes. I only noticed because recuperation isn’t active. I believe this is intended to clean the brakes.
  • Sadly, the center armrest holder is exactly the same, terrible and very hard to use!
  • Various pieces on the car interior are now held in by hex screws, for example the different button areas on the steering wheel. Probably makes adding trim much easier. I think the new look is better.
  • I have walked up to the car, had it automatically unlock, then before I could do anything auto lock again, happened 3 different days. Same using the fob button.
  • I prefer the look of the car with the steel painted roof. I don’t miss the sun on my head!
  • The sports chrono clock has several flaws (did not have it on previous car).
    • It tilts up a bit more than it should
    • It reflects in the windshield, especially at night. The angle and the little hat is not large enough.
    • Honestly looks silly and poor functionality. It should be a full digital display (ie. Apple Watch) and be configurable to show many things.
    • It seems to make a bit more noise when the fan is running.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A slight edit to above
  • Seemingly no range improvement. Wasn’t really expecting anything large but was hoping for a minor improvement. The Monroney for the two does show a marked improvement in range, not sure if it is real or not. 2020 68/71/49; 2022 77/75/44

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
A slight edit to above
  • Seemingly no range improvement. Wasn’t really expecting anything large but was hoping for a minor improvement. The Monroney for the two does show a marked improvement in range, not sure if it is real or not. 2020 68/71/49; 2022 77/75/44
Thank you very much for sharing your real-life first-hand comparison between the 2020 and 2022 4S. Personally, I would not expect a noticeable difference in range/consumption as any quoted differences are probably the result of Porsche being extremely conservative in 2020 and a bit closer to reality in 2022.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
As requested my observed differences between the two cars. I don’t have the 2020 anymore, so these are “by memory”. List is not in any particular order. My wife likely would not notice a single thing in my list ?
  • This car is quieter, I assume the upgraded sound insolated glass helps this. Probably the steel roof helps as well. During a very hard rain I could barely hear the wipers and even the rain hitting the windshield at high speed was very muted. Haven’t had a good hot sunny day to test UV heating. The metal roof will also certainly help that! At this poing most of the noise in the cabin is through the body/suspension, still the quietest and smoothest car I have ever been in.
  • Plug and charge worked once, second time I tried it at EA it didn’t work. Called EA, they were unable to debug the problem. I suspect the problem was on their end.
  • I Love the shorter turning radius of the rear axle steering, no noticeable difference besides that. It tracks super well, but the old car did as well. I can’t tell if new one is better/same/worse.
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA) seems to be better, but still a bit lame. They don’t have standard feedback control. In other words the car still bounces between lane paint instead of picking one line and following it. It also still has trouble recognizing some lane markers, even newly painted very, very visible ones.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control ACC now seems to be slightly integrated with the “recuperation AUTO” function, as it should be. When using Recup Auto as you near a car it acts more like it switched to ACC, much nicer.
  • Interior Accents, the interior “door handles” in exterior color (Mamba Green) look quite nice! IMHO all the other accents through the cabine in “dark silver” cannot really be noticed, seems like a waste for all those pieces.
  • The interior door handles seem to operate differently and easier. Pulling slightly and the door electrically unlatches. If you pull hard you mechanically un-latch the door to open.
  • Rear trunk opening using my foot still rarely works so it continues to be an unused feature. I seem to only be able to open the frunk by waving my hands when I DON’T want the frunk to open…
  • The radio controls are slightly different. I have not gotten those dialed in yet. I mainly listen to SXM radio, sadly it doesn’t start playing whatever was the last source. Still no power on volume configuration.
  • I have not pushed the car and done much driving in Sport +, other than a few full launch mode starts. Seems about the same as old car, fast! Only measuring would tell. Sadly they still don’t seem to do automatic full power in anything but launch mode. Why not automate that, if I ever stomp on the accelerator just use full power for X seconds!!!!
  • Range mode top speed still default 60mph, I knew to change that immediately. Sadly, this is one item Road and Track downgraded the Taycan on in their 2022 car of the year competition.
  • Seemingly no range improvement. Wasn’t really expecting anything large but was hoping for a minor improvement.
  • The new My Porsche App is ok, some features are easier than the old one, some features still missing. I assume this will continue to improve. It lost the tire pressure display feature. I am an IOS phone user only. No idea about Android interactions. I wish this app could mimic the key fob so full local control of the car (lock etc). Why carry a fob?
  • PDLS +, I cannot see any movement of the lights when turning. I assume “Dynamic cornering light” isn’t a real, or useful function even though I paid for it. It might be super subtle but should not be…
  • The number of EA charging stations is pathetic. They still seem to break quite often, even the few that are open.
  • The brakes now see to use only friction braking in the first few minutes. I only noticed because recuperation isn’t active. I believe this is intended to clean the brakes.
  • Sadly, the center armrest holder is exactly the same, terrible and very hard to use!
  • Various pieces on the car interior are now held in by hex screws, for example the different button areas on the steering wheel. Probably makes adding trim much easier. I think the new look is better.
  • I have walked up to the car, had it automatically unlock, then before I could do anything auto lock again, happened 3 different days. Same using the fob button.
  • I prefer the look of the car with the steel painted roof. I don’t miss the sun on my head!
    • It reflects in the windshield, especially at night. The angle and the little hat is not large enough.
    • Honestly looks silly and poor functionality. It should be a full digital display (ie. Apple Watch) and be configurable to show many things.
Have a Nov build CT 4S - some comparisons on my experience to date with a 2022 build to some of the points you are listing:

Curious - my kick motion to open rear hatch has literally worked every time I've used it, honestly w/o even looking at the manual as to how you're supposed to do it! I do a simply orthogonal foot in and out and it has been flawless. Exact same with the Frunk - swiping below it opens every time - possibly blind luck!

Curiously my Range mode has 65mph as a default std. - a build date change? Mind you I still changed it but it stays that way so not exactly an issue right?

The same is true BTW re any setting you change in any drive mode (at least in my car) - those changes are kept as opposed to being wiped every time you shut the car down (which I believe was prev the case). Makes the Individual Mode simply another available mode vs an independent customized mode.

PNC has been 100% for me however I've only used it three times but at least at three different EA stations!

Have not experienced the auto-unlocking randomness you are describing but TBH I need to check as I may have turned this feature off :)

Cheers, C.

notsofast

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, 2005 Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. Do you see any difference in fast charging behavior? I.e. does the 2022 charge at higher speeds past 30% charge?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. Do you see any difference in fast charging behavior? I.e. does the 2022 charge at higher speeds past 30% charge?
Realize question for OP but can throw in my one experience to date with a 350kW EA charger - I had a high SoC to begin with i.e. over 60% and was getting 102 kW all the way to 80% over 80% it started to decrease to 94kW and I finished charging at 88%. 102kW seems low, clearly well below chargers potential, and I assumed it was because of my high initial SoC - however lack experience here and TBH I cannot tell if this charger was being throttled for any reason by EA or the setup there.

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi OP, I am curious

1. What made you decide to remove the glass roof and stayed with steel roof? And

2. What made you decide to remove the 150kw DC charge capability?

Thank you!

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is part of the sport chrono option - the steering wheel controls are finished differently than cars without Sport Chrono. This is the same across the Porsche fleet, and was the same in the 2020 Taycan too.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
@TayTaySD, thank you for taking the time to put this together. I would like to ask some follow up questions:

• This car is quieter, I assume the upgraded sound insolated glass helps this. Probably the steel roof helps as well. During a very hard rain I could barely hear the wipers and even the rain hitting the windshield at high speed was very muted. Haven’t had a good hot sunny day to test UV heating. The metal roof will also certainly help that! At this poing most of the noise in the cabin is through the body/suspension, still the quietest and smoothest car I have ever been in. --> I am trying to decide between steel and glass and this makes a strong point for the steel but I wonder if that cuts into the head room and then making the cabin feel dark and small.
  • Plug and charge worked once, second time I tried it at EA it didn’t work. Called EA, they were unable to debug the problem. I suspect the problem was on their end. --> Still worries me that even on 2022 the PNC does not just work.
  • I Love the shorter turning radius of the rear axle steering, no noticeable difference besides that. It tracks super well, but the old car did as well. I can’t tell if new one is better/same/worse. --> Have RAS on the Cayenne, makes a big difference when parking or turning around 90 degree corners.
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA) seems to be better, but still a bit lame. They don’t have standard feedback control. In other words the car still bounces between lane paint instead of picking one line and following it. It also still has trouble recognizing some lane markers, even newly painted very, very visible ones. --> I think you are referring to LKA or ALK. LCA just a warning in the mirrors when a car is in the blind spot.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control ACC now seems to be slightly integrated with the “recuperation AUTO” function, as it should be. When using Recup Auto as you near a car it acts more like it switched to ACC, much nicer. --> Very nice. I assume you mean this is when ACC is not active but Recup is set to Auto.
  • Interior Accents, the interior “door handles” in exterior color (Mamba Green) look quite nice! IMHO all the other accents through the cabine in “dark silver” cannot really be noticed, seems like a waste for all those pieces. --> I was wondering about that. I only test drove Taycans in just Black so Dark Silver looks like a grey shiny type on the configurator. Interior accents in Exterior color only seem to apply to the door handle areas and the rest is still Dark Silver. Also, while we are talking doors, I noticed that 2022 door window control buttons are matt black vs. gloss black. Gloss black seems nicer but showing finger prints more.
  • The interior door handles seem to operate differently and easier. Pulling slightly and the door electrically unlatches. If you pull hard you mechanically un-latch the door to open. --> nice observation
  • The radio controls are slightly different. I have not gotten those dialed in yet. I mainly listen to SXM radio, sadly it doesn’t start playing whatever was the last source. Still no power on volume configuration. --> That is very odd and I also noticed that on my testers but thought since I am in Guest mode that must be the case. I was set to XM and when I restarted it went back to default FM and I had to go back to XM each time.
  • I have not pushed the car and done much driving in Sport +, other than a few full launch mode starts. Seems about the same as old car, fast! Only measuring would tell. Sadly they still don’t seem to do automatic full power in anything but launch mode. Why not automate that, if I ever stomp on the accelerator just use full power for X seconds!!!! --> That is odd as well since Launch mode requires the sequence plus time to follow the sequence. I understand that during regular drive you cannot achieve hp or torque of the launch control making all that power unusable.
  • Range mode top speed still default 60mph, I knew to change that immediately. Sadly, this is one item Road and Track downgraded the Taycan on in their 2022 car of the year competition. --> I did not know that and when I set to Range mode it went to 60mph and I thought well that is odd and I cannot go that slow on a 70mph highway.
  • The main PCM seems a bit faster, but no huge change (if any). --> This is my biggest issue on how slow PCM is on my 2021 tester and I am comparing to my PCM 5 on the 2020 Cayenne which is naturally fast and smooth to operate not to mention huge compare to Taycan's.
  • PDLS +, I cannot see any movement of the lights when turning. I assume “Dynamic cornering light” isn’t a real, or useful function even though I paid for it. It might be super subtle but should not be… --> The swivel is very noticeable on the Cayenne but I did not pay attention to it on the Taycan test drives. PDLS definition states greater swivel in Sport mode so may be worth trying that.
  • Sadly, the center armrest holder is exactly the same, terrible and very hard to use! --> I agree. Cayenne/Macan execution is much better. Also, on the Taycan door pockets are so narrow that they do not fit water bottles and basically not designed to hold them.
  • Various pieces on the car interior are now held in by hex screws, for example the different button areas on the steering wheel. Probably makes adding trim much easier. I think the new look is better. --> wow, that sounds like a great improvement
  • The sports chrono clock has several flaws (did not have it on previous car). --> I have it on the Cayenne which is a bit different and would not have it any other way but I can see how low seating position makes it not ideal per your comments below. Cayenne also has more configuration for it such as stopping the second clock and showing only digital time or turning it off completely including backlight on/off option.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
For the PDLS+, that function is not enabled for cars in the US bc it wasnt legal until very recently. The Biden bill that got passed last time around, I dont know what to call it (i think it was the build back better) and not being political either way about it, had in it a clause making these advanced head light features finally legal in the US. Porsche hasn’t had a chance yet to implement them, but I talked to the dealer service dept and they are at least hopeful there will be a software/hardware solution enabled to make them work for the cars that are already out there and eventually they will be working from the beginning for model years coming.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
For the PDLS+, that function is not enabled for cars in the US bc it wasnt legal until very recently. The Biden bill that got passed last time around, I dont know what to call it (i think it was the build back better) and not being political either way about it, had in it a clause making these advanced head light features finally legal in the US. Porsche hasn’t had a chance yet to implement them, but I talked to the dealer service dept and they are at least hopeful there will be a software/hardware solution enabled to make them work for the cars that are already out there and eventually they will be working from the beginning for model years coming.
Love the fact that in many states you can carry enough firepower to retake the Alamo but decent headlights are considered dangerous ?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Love the fact that in many states you can carry enough firepower to retake the Alamo but decent headlights are considered dangerous ?
Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson debated for hours whether citizenry should have a constitutional “right to advanced lantern design for use whilst atop one’s noble steed” but it was killed at the last minute by special interest lobbyists. A shame.
Sponsored