W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have ordered ACC and I was going to get ALK as FOD. However, apparently for now FOD is not available for model 2022. Will hopefully be solved.

My dealer advised against Innodrive in Belgium because of toondichter fantom braking.

I will give it a try when FOD for model 2022 is available
Braking is a problem everywhere with it and the speed limiter that is STD (relies on camera to read road markings, signs and up to date mapping data) - I'd say skip it as it could lead to stress.
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Braking is a problem everywhere with it and the speed limiter that is STD (relies on camera to read road markings, signs and up to date mapping data) - I'd say skip it as it could lead to stress.
I had a similar function on my X5. It worked but not always. So at the end I didn’t activate it. I only used ACC and ALK.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
havent tried Innodrive on the MY21 version but a friend with a MY20 Cayenne with Innodrive also complained about abrupt braking when changing speed zones etc. Al i know is that in the MY22 it is very soft / smooth when changing speed zone with PID. Almost identical to when I manually change speed the traditional way. It seems however that driving in sport mode increases the rate of deceleration but I haven’t really tested that - I rarely use PID when I’m in sport mode. PID is for relaxed cruise and commute, Sport mode is for a bit of fun, and I want to control everything myself then

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
havent tried Innodrive on the MY21 version but a friend with a MY20 Cayenne with Innodrive also complained about abrupt braking when changing speed zones etc. Al i know is that in the MY22 it is very soft / smooth when changing speed zone with PID. Almost identical to when I manually change speed the traditional way. It seems however that driving in sport mode increases the rate of deceleration but I haven’t really tested that - I rarely use PID when I’m in sport mode. PID is for relaxed cruise and commute, Sport mode is for a bit of fun, and I want to control everything myself then
Perhaps Porsche has software tweaked this for the better (and forgotten to do the same with the standard speed limiter) since original launch.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The pingpong effect that you describe is something that is typical of LKA (Lane Keep Asssist), not ALK (Active Lane Keeping). Are you sure you have ALK? ALK is represented with a Green Steering Wheel on the dashboard when active.

I have a MY22 CT, and the ALK works perfectly fine; the car stays dead center on the road, even in the bends, even when the line on one side is missing. Not sure if there is a difference between MY21 (as you have) and MY22 (as I have) but I am v happy with the ALK.
I'll have to look into it more and see how the function can improve.

Last edited:

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Porsche just emailed this video showing Innodrive (PID) adjusting vehicle speed based on posted limits and road contours:

Porsche Taycan Driving Assistance Thread: ACC, LKA, ALK, and InnoDrive can+2021.pdf+-+Adobe+Acrobat+Reader+DC+(32-bit)_w2

Learn About Porsche InnoDrive (If equipped)
In the above video you will learn about Porsche InnoDrive, the driver assistance system that assists the driver when driving on well-surfaced roads and highways. Using navigation data as well as data from radars and cameras, PID detects both the area directly around the vehicle and the route ahead, determines the best possible driving strategy in advance and adapts the speed accordingly.

Last edited:

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
The pingpong effect that you describe is something that is typical of LKA (Lane Keep Asssist), not ALK (Active Lane Keeping). Are you sure you have ALK? ALK is represented with a Green Steering Wheel on the dashboard when active.

I have a MY22 CT, and the ALK works perfectly fine; the car stays dead center on the road, even in the bends, even when the line on one side is missing. Not sure if there is a difference between MY21 (as you have) and MY22 (as I have) but I am v happy with the ALK.
Hello, this post caught my attention because I know I have LKA, and I have the green light on my dashboard when it’s activated. I did not option ALK and I’m seeking a simple explanation for the difference between them. Thank you

OP
OP
Sf-bay-taycan-seeker

Sf-bay-taycan-seeker

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Tesla X, Tesla Y
Country flag

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello, this post caught my attention because I know I have LKA, and I have the green light on my dashboard when it’s activated. I did not option ALK and I’m seeking a simple explanation for the difference between them. Thank you
ALK, Active Lane Keep, uses cameras to keep your car in the lane. It will adapt the left, center, or right of the lane if you steer the car that way for a little while. You'll still need to be an active driver by keeping your hands on the wheel, or the system shuts off. Porsche isn't down with self-driving :fingerscrossed: unless you are the self ;).

ALK Operating principle
Active Lane Keeping uses the front camera as well as front and rear radar to continuously scan the area around the vehicle and helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the selected lane.​
– When the system is active, the driver can set a preferred position within the lane. When the driver keeps the vehicle at the desired position for several seconds, the system ends lane center guidance and starts driving at the selected offset position. The shift in position is reset again when the system becomes passive or is switched off (e.g. by activating the direction indicator, changing lanes, or braking).​
– The system always prioritizes the lane markings over other objects (e.g. vehicles). In some cases, this may mean that the driver has to position the vehicle in the center of the lane in order to activate the system. Activation of the system outside the center of the lane is prevented so that the driver does not feel a strong movement on the steering wheel immediately after the system is activated.​
– The driver is responsible for moving to the side of the road to creating a lane for emergency vehicles. In such situations, the driver can switch off the system or override it using the steering wheel.​

LKA, Lane Keep Assist, keeps your car from crossing the line. It'll keep you from driving out of your lane if you start to daydream or nod off. It'll make a correction but won't follow the lane. The correction can bounce you back from the other side of the lane if you don't start driving yourself. You'll still need to be an active driver by keeping your hands on the wheel, or the system shuts off.

LKA Operating principle
The Lane Keep Assist helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the lane. To do this, the system uses front camera A to detect the course of the road ahead based on the lane markings and initiates corrective steering intervention to keep the vehicle in the lane whenever it nears a detected lane marking and is in danger of leaving the lane. The driver can override the steering intervention at any time, however.​

If the vehicle crosses a lane marking without using the direction indicator, the system can provide the driver with an acoustic warning. To do this, the acoustic warning must be enabled in the central display. The system will not issue a warning or steer if the driver uses the direction indicator before crossing a lane marking. In such situations, it interprets the lane change as intentional.​

The system is designed for driving on motorways and well-surfaced country roads and works in a speed range of approx. 40 mph (65 km/h) -​
156 mph (250 km/h).​

Last edited:

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
ALK, Active Lane Keep, uses cameras to keep your car in the lane. It will adapt the left, center, or right of the lane if you steer the car that way for a little while. You'll still need to be an active driver by keeping your hands on the wheel, or the system shuts off. Porsche isn't down with self-driving :fingerscrossed: unless you are the self ;).

LKA Operating principle
Active Lane Keeping uses the front camera as well as front and rear radar to continuously scan the area around the vehicle and helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the selected lane.​
– When the system is active, the driver can set a preferred position within the lane. When the driver keeps the vehicle at the desired position for several seconds, the system ends lane center guidance and starts driving at the selected offset position. The shift in position is reset again when the system becomes passive or is switched off (e.g. by activating the direction indicator, changing lanes, or braking).​
– The system always prioritizes the lane markings over other objects (e.g. vehicles). In some cases, this may mean that the driver has to position the vehicle in the center of the lane in order to activate the system. Activation of the system outside the center of the lane is prevented so that the driver does not feel a strong movement on the steering wheel immediately after the system is activated.​
– The driver is responsible for moving to the side of the road to creating a lane for emergency vehicles. In such situations, the driver can switch off the system or override it using the steering wheel.​

LKA, Lane Keep Assist, keeps your car from crossing the line. It'll keep you from driving out of your lane if you start to daydream or nod off. It'll make a correction but won't follow the lane. The correction can bounce you back from the other side of the lane if you don't start driving yourself. You'll still need to be an active driver by keeping your hands on the wheel, or the system shuts off.

LKA Operating principle
The Lane Keep Assist helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the lane. To do this, the system uses front camera A to detect the course of the road ahead based on the lane markings and initiates corrective steering intervention to keep the vehicle in the lane whenever it nears a detected lane marking and is in danger of leaving the lane. The driver can override the steering intervention at any time, however.​

If the vehicle crosses a lane marking without using the direction indicator, the system can provide the driver with an acoustic warning. To do this, the acoustic warning must be enabled in the central display. The system will not issue a warning or steer if the driver uses the direction indicator before crossing a lane marking. In such situations, it interprets the lane change as intentional.​

The system is designed for driving on motorways and well-surfaced country roads and works in a speed range of approx. 40 mph (65 km/h) -​
156 mph (250 km/h).​
OK I am really confused now. I thought ALK and LKA were different things. Are they not? I did not option Innodrive or ALK but when I activate LKA it keeps the car in the lane, even if the road is not straight. I can also program distance from cars in front using ACC.

In the paragraphs you cut/paste above the first full paragraph says "LKA operating principle" but then says "Active Lane Keep" (ALK).

All these acronyms in the Porsche vernacular are not helping reduce my confusion...

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
All these acronyms in the Porsche vernacular are not helping reduce my confusion...
Join the club. We need a secret decoder ring for the Porsche acronyms.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
OK I am really confused now. I thought ALK and LKA were different things. Are they not? I did not option Innodrive or ALK but when I activate LKA it keeps the car in the lane, even if the road is not straight. I can also program distance from cars in front using ACC.

In the paragraphs you cut/paste above the first full paragraph says "LKA operating principle" but then says "Active Lane Keep" (ALK).

the LKA is really there to prevent you from going over the line ; think of it as a help in case you turn to the back seat because your child made a weird sound and you car is about to run into the ditch.Or maybe you’re really tired and you fall asleep for a second. LKA is there to save you (at least that’s the idea)

ALK however is there to take the edge off the driving. It’s less of a safety system, although it also has safety benefits. Imagine for à seins you were driving behind a car just 10 feet behind it at 100mph for a long distance. You’d be constantly under tension, apprehensive of a sudden braking of the car in front. This emotional tension would wear you down. However if you were driving at the same speed but at a greater distance andwith ACC that you completely trust you would be much more relaxed. ALK is supposed to bring you the same “relaxed” benefit when driving but more by keeping you centred In your Lane and without you needing to be tense or constantly correcting with your steering wheel. Think of it as doing for lateral correction what ACC does for automatically adjusting your speed. LKA in that sense is more similar to emergency braking than it is to ACC.
Hope this all makes better sense. Either way, LKA symbol on dash are two green lines representing the edge of the road, ALK has a green steering whee placed between the lines.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
helping reduce my confusion...
This, from the manual, is still plenty confusing:

Porsche Taycan Driving Assistance Thread: ACC, LKA, ALK, and InnoDrive IMG_0222

I think of it like this:
  • PID: Porsche InnoDrive adjusts your car's speed to posted limits
  • ACC: Adaptive Cruise Control adjusts your car's speed down from or up to the speed set on cruise control based on other drivers (slower cars, cars pulling in front of you, etc.)
  • LKA: Lane Keep Assist keeps you from driving out of your lane if you fall asleep (bounces you off the lane lines)
  • ALK: Active Lane Keep drives your car smoothly down the lane (without bouncing off the lane lines)
Sponsored