mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
(if you have forever) was there for a reason......... every electric car i know of includes a unit for charging on the road. I wouldn't want to head out without some ability to charge the car domestically. And, like I said, some 'chargers' I have seen are only outlets.
Weirdly the VW iD3 doesn’t include a charger (at least in the UK). They point you towards a Podpoint, until their own is available “in the coming months”. They do include a type 2 cable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
for “dumb” EV chargers like the PMC+ or ClipperCreek you can use the “in car” charging display (0.3 mpm) to see kilowatts

if you tap on the (0.3 mpm) number while it’s charging it will “toggle” to kW

9.6 kW “raw” 240 volt @ 40 amps will show about 8.6x kW “in vehicle”
240 volts @ 20 amps “raw” is 4.8 kW - so I would expect like 3.92 kW “in vehicle” on the center lower console if you tapped on the “0.1 mpm” display during charging.
Good call - that worked. It's showing me 9.0 kW in the car. It shows 7.2 kW with the Mustart .

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Mustart is 32 amps while the PMC+ is 40 amps.
Yup, makes sense. The Mustart is pretty explicit about being 32amp - the PMC+ I couldn't find too much detail on (other then the back of it sayin 40 amps), so it's good that the math checks out :)

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Click your link and scroll to the very botttom. Then click on “standard equipment” and you‘ll see it listed.

Porsche should really do a better job showing what comes standard. I too optioned the PMCC before noticing that this was included. Fortunately I caught it before my order locked.
A2117A7A-4C70-4CC0-B801-C48EE5A9C9EE.jpeg

They should also do a better job showing option trade-offs too - such as closed vents with the motorized charge port covers and cellular issues with the insulated glass.
Very interesting. Could you enlighten me regarding cellular reception and insulated glass? I’m keen on the insulated glass but might reconsider if it wrecks phone reception, does a solid roof help?

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Looks like the 'advice' was a little off. I can think of no current manufacture who wouldn't bundle a basic charging setup with their car. The standard fixtures and fittings are on a separate link from the Configurator where the basics are set out quite clearly.

That said, your Dealership should have made you aware of what is a fundamental component of the car.

Pretty sure that all Porsche pre-cursors to the Taycan came with chargers - i.e. all e-Hybrids - so this can't be attributable to something that is 'new'.
I’m beginning to rely on this forum rather than the local dealership. The depth and breadth of knowledge on here is fantastic ?

Reactions: dan

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
I have owned EV's since 2012 and have taken road trips all across the US and I have taken my charger with me on only two of those trips, both of which were in the early days prior to the huge expansion of public charging units.

if it is only an outlet then it isn't a charging unit.

you really should familiarize yourself with sites like these to know about your charging options when out there road tripping
www.plugshare.com or https://na.chargepoint.com/charge_point or
https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html or
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

there is almost nowhere in the US that is very far from at least an L2 charger.

maybe this will be a worthwhile read
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/patricia-valderrama/electric-vehicle-charging-101
my Juicebox died (twice actually) and had no home charger...... except for the Audi provided box which I used while waiting for the replacement for the failed unit.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
my Juicebox died (twice actually) and had no home charger...... except for the Audi provided box which I used while waiting for the replacement for the failed unit.
As an FYI, after the software upgrade, I could no longer use my JuiceBox as I was getting charging errors with my car. I was charging at 48 amps as the JuiceBox was hardwired. I even reduced the amps to 40 and it would still not work. I have now disconnected the JuiceBox and I am using the Porsche charger and no problems. I will be interested if your new JuiceBox works on your car after the software upgrade.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
As an FYI, after the software upgrade, I could no longer use my JuiceBox as I was getting charging errors with my car. I was charging at 48 amps as the JuiceBox was hardwired. I even reduced the amps to 40 and it would still not work. I have now disconnected the JuiceBox and I am using the Porsche charger and no problems. I will be interested if your new JuiceBox works on your car after the software upgrade.
That’s ironic since the update notes said they had improved charging using third party EVSEs.

MannyO

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way, that my brand new 2022 Taycan 4S came with a PMC+ that doesn’t have Wifi capability. And I spent extra money to get the wall mount for it as well. What a Joke! ?

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus 0CD9265B-8E73-462D-B0CF-C8A18C0EF0BA

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Hi,
Probably a UK specific question (and apologies if i've overlooked it in above discussion), but checking my standard spec for CT4s, I seem to be getting both:

"Mobile Charger Plus with 4.5m vehicle side cable"
and
"Supply cable for industrial electrical outlet (230V, 32A)"

Basically, what's the difference? Do they both plug into an industrial 32a socket? Do they both give a similar charging rate? Or does the supply cable plug into the mobile charger plus?

I'm asking as thinking about getting an industrial outlet put in to a second location for ad hoc usage and want to make sure im going to put the best thing in without going the whole wall charging box.

Ta.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
One cable is between your power supply and the "charger" (really EVSE) and the other 4.5 meter cable is between that and your car (the thing you plug in and out of your car).

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
One cable is between your power supply and the "charger" (really EVSE) and the other 4.5 meter cable is between that and your car (the thing you plug in and out of your car).
Thanks. And with a 32amp industrial socket installed, am i right in thinking i can get 7kw out of it rather than a trickle from a 3 pin?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way, that my brand new 2022 Taycan 4S came with a PMC+ that doesn’t have Wifi capability. And I spent extra money to get the wall mount for it as well. What a Joke! ?

0CD9265B-8E73-462D-B0CF-C8A18C0EF0BA.jpeg
That's annoying but your dealer should have discussed this with you and pointed out the differences between PMC+ and PMCC (including that the dock is specifically designed for the PMCC so that it sits flush).

I'm guessing you realise that you can add your PMC+ to your home wifi with a PLC (Powerline Communication) adapter?

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus 1643190471933

Once hooked up you can then use the PMC+ web interface (warning: be prepared to be underwhelmed). There is rarely a need to access either the PMC+ or PMCC so you aren't missing out here really.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. And with a 32amp industrial socket installed, am i right in thinking i can get 7kw out of it rather than a trickle from a 3 pin?
Yes - as long as you have a dedicated fused 32A supply to the correct receptacle and connected the 32A supply cable (not the 13A 3-pin plug) then you will get 7.4kW (potentially a little more / little less).
Sponsored