First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Cabriolet (991.2)
Country flag
Ron_b.
Hopefully whoever tries it has a Plan B for rescuing themselves if the Taycan State of Charge (SOC) drops down too low between Searchlight & Henderson. I recently reviewed the feedback of a UK Taycan owner about Porsche's on-board range management software. It sounds like if it is used, it may actually slow the car down to a max of 30-40 mph, possibly switching off the A/C, so as to limp into Boulder City, Not sure if there is even cell phone coverage out between Searchlight and Boulder City. Wonder how long Porsche Roadway Assistance would take to get to that area? AND, as we do here in the desert southwest in the summer time on trips through the desert, I would hope anyone trying to make this trip in their Taycan carries lots of water, particularly, cold water...frozen bottles among the refrigerated ones in a cooler. Maybe the first Taycan owner to try might have a "tow" truck follow just for insurance :)
Sponsored

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Video is fun...having driven that route from Palm Springs to Mar Vista am familiar with it. Important notes: Started out with a full charge. On long distance trips there would be interim charges to 80% at 50kW charging locations lasting 1 1/2 hours. The temps may be a little warmer in the summer (Palm Springs is known for its 110F temps then), and the speeds would well be above 70mph. So the range would have been significantly? less than the 276 achieved in the video. Luckily there are a lot of charging stations along the route, should the driver had not elected to push it.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ron_b.
Thanks. I did note in the Range Estimator for the 4S for Dubai that it mentions that the Taycan was "tested" in temps as high as 50C that's 122F. Outside of that mention I have not been able to see anything "official" from Porsche associated with range affected by such extreme hight temperature except that the Porsche.com/middle-east/Dubai Range Estimator has an outside temperature setting of 40C (104F). Someone asked me if I knew what the sales folks at the Porsche Dealerships here in Tucson or Phoenix/Chandler tell folks taking delivery of their 2020 Taycan Turbo and Turbo S's about taking them to Las Vegas this summer. I don't know. Haven't gotten any response to my "concern" from the salesman at the Porsche of Chandler dealership. BTW. We are supposed to hit 100F this coming Sunday! Stay Safe

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To not bother creating a new thread for this InsideEVs story and podcast as it was only commenting on other range tests like Alex Roy's, I will just post here.

One thing I look forward to is Tom Moloughney is getting a 4S and InsideEVs is planning a canonical range test for electric vehicles. Several on the pod cast comment how several EV makers can obtain or exceed the EPA range, except Tesla where they generally cannot hit the range; hence the usefulness of a 3rd party test process. We'll see how unbiased and detailed it is.

InsideEVs Podcast: Porsche Taycan Demolishes EPA Range, More
https://insideevs.com/features/414692/insideevs-podcast-porsche-taycan-range/

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ron_b, Watched the Podcast and added my usual comment about Tucson/Phoenix to Las Vegas in a 4S during the summer heat, and the lack of 50kW charging stations between Blythe CA and Las Vegas along US-95. I hope it gets read by the Inside EVs folks

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ron_b, Watched the Podcast and added my usual comment about Tucson/Phoenix to Las Vegas in a 4S during the summer heat, and the lack of 50kW charging stations between Blythe CA and Las Vegas along US-95. I hope it gets read by the Inside EVs folks
I think that you should work on fellow non-Tesla Phoenix EV drivers to request Needles as a site on Electrify America and EVgo and ChargePoint.

But I hope it will be Electrify America.

Good luck, though I personally think the 203 miles should be doable at 110F at 70-75mph and worst case stop for 1hr in Needles for a slow charge.

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ron_b, I have left both chats and "suggestions" with Electrify American relative to putting a station in Needles CA. Haven't gotten a response yet. Did the same with EVgo, with the same result. I will give it another week or so and recontact them about them to see if there is any interest. I tried to contact ChargePoint, but it seemed all I could do is talked to them about being a "dealer" :( I am certain that a Taycan 4S with the large battery and even charged to 100% could make it along the Blythe/Quartzite to Henderson/Las Vegas route, albeit by having the on-board system taking over and possibly slowing down to 50-65 mph and turning the A/C off full and letting the inside temp just for the front cockpit area get up to 75-80F and shut off the A/C to the rear seat area. I'd even like to see a test drive between Phoenix and Blythe CA when its 110F, or even Quartzite when Electrify America turns on the "coming soon" charging station at the Love's truck stop. I haven't found any times to charge to 100% when hooked up to a 270kW capable charger regardless of outside temperature. I think it isn't much of fun drive, once total charging times start exceeding 4 hours and turning what is normally an 8 hour drive into a 12 hour one...the scenery isn't that exciting along the Blythe to Las Vegas route, much less I-10 between Phoenix and Blythe:oops:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ron_b, I have left both chats and "suggestions" with Electrify American relative to putting a station in Needles CA. Haven't gotten a response yet. Did the same with EVgo, with the same result. I will give it another week or so and recontact them about them to see if there is any interest. I tried to contact ChargePoint, but it seemed all I could do is talked to them about being a "dealer" :( I am certain that a Taycan 4S with the large battery and even charged to 100% could make it along the Blythe/Quartzite to Henderson/Las Vegas route, albeit by having the on-board system taking over and possibly slowing down to 50-65 mph and turning the A/C off full and letting the inside temp just for the front cockpit area get up to 75-80F and shut off the A/C to the rear seat area. I'd even like to see a test drive between Phoenix and Blythe CA when its 110F, or even Quartzite when Electrify America turns on the "coming soon" charging station at the Love's truck stop. I haven't found any times to charge to 100% when hooked up to a 270kW capable charger regardless of outside temperature. I think it isn't much of fun drive, once total charging times start exceeding 4 hours and turning what is normally an 8 hour drive into a 12 hour one...the scenery isn't that exciting along the Blythe to Las Vegas route, much less I-10 between Phoenix and Blythe:oops:
It seems like you may be a bit pessimistic, I don't see you staying more than an hour and a half at the life to charge and then worst case would be an hour in Needles but that may be avoidable depending on efficiency what you can predict by the time you get to Needles. The charging in Vegas I assume could be done at the hotel you are staying at so you wouldn't need to be sitting at a charger.

I am not trying to say this to disregard the value of having a dcfc in Needles. I truly think that is a needed resource. But I would certainly happily make of the trip without it. as I live in the Bay Area I'm not likely to need to make a trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas though. So I'm sorry, I would not be able to test that for you most likely.

I would not suggest going 55-60 or have no HVAC. I may set AC to 72 and Eco and use cooled seats and drive at least 70mph.

Also I agree if it turns into 4hrs at chargers it's not fun either.
Sponsored