SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I created a new thread where we can discuss how we can help Porsche to improve. By helping Porsche to improve, we helping us selves getting better service:)

I have had joy and sadness of reading about other experiences, and there has been and are issues at Porsche's (Taycan) products and services. Many of us have experienced in some cases lack of information or unclear information from our Dealer, Importer or Porsche AG. In my opinion this may partly be caused by the current Workflow, which I think could be improved by digitalization. Instead of just discuss the issues, we may try to do something about it. My contribution is a presentation suggesting a digitalization of the workflow between Purchase and Delivery.

My objective is to inspire Porsche AG and its Importers and Dealers to start a digitalization process to improve the communication that we which could be better. I hope you will join me in this task and read and share the presentation with your Dealers and Contacts at Porsche to create an awareness and desire for digitalization of the workflow.

You will be the first to read the presentation. On Monday I will send it to my contact at Porsche. Hopefully, you will do to yours.

Porsche Taycan How can we help Porsche to improve? 20200426 Design idea to improve customer experience at Porsche - lowres

(Update #1 26. April 2020)
I have attached two PDFs, first is the design idea and second is design examples

(Update #2 26.April 2020)
Now I have managed to attach the PowerPoint presentation as a Slideshow, but I had to upload it as an txt file. When you download it, you need to rename the file type from .TXT to .PPSX

Attachments

Last edited:

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I created a new thread where we can discuss how we can help Porsche to improve. By helping Porsche to improve, we helping us selves getting better service:)

I have had joy and sadness of reading about other experiences, and there has been and are issues at Porsche's (Taycan) products and services. Many of us have experienced in some cases lack of information or unclear information from our Dealer, Importer or Porsche AG. In my opinion this may partly be caused by the current Workflow, which I think could be improved by digitalization. Instead of just discuss the issues, we may try to do something about it. My contribution is a presentation suggesting a digitalization of the workflow between Purchase and Delivery.

My objective is to inspire Porsche AG and its Importers and Dealers to start a digitalization process to improve the communication that we which could be better. I hope you will join me in this task and read and share the presentation with your Dealers and Contacts at Porsche to create an awareness and desire for digitalization of the workflow.

You will be the first to read the presentation. On Monday I will send it to my contact at Porsche. Hopefully, you will do to yours.

20200426 Design idea to improve customer experience at Porsche - lowres.gif

I had a bit of a technical challenge to make size of the presentation smaller than the upload limit, and ended up with a gif. PM me if you don't have a viewer able to pause each page, and we will find another way. It's from a large PPT presentation of 25MB.
Any chance you can post pdf? I would like my dealer to also have a copy

Reactions: SHN
OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will post a pdf when I have tweeked the size down.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Hi SHN, absolutely brilliant

I’m on my 3rd Porsche but the Taycan is my first new specced Porsche and the whole experience has been really poor.

I’m totally up for building on your excellent work.

the best would be to send a copy to Oliver Blume with a number of us counter signing, strength in numbers!

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I finally managed to downsize the PDF, but I had two split the presentation in two PDFs. The PDFs are attached to the original post:)

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I sent the presentation to my Dealer, whom embraced it and sends it the importer Porsche Norway and hopefully forward it to Porsche AG.

I got the feedback from the Dealer before lunch, and 30 min ago I received SMS and email from Porsche Norway with a short update of the opening of the factories. I guess it was a coincindent, and not and imediate respons to the presentation;)

Porsche is working on coordinating with the suppliers to startup the production again, and the production estimate will be updated and published. We still have to be patient.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have also sent your presentation. Porsche UK should be looking at it. I was also told production should start early May.
Thanks again for doing the presentation.

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
I think this would be really great functionality. When I bought a VW Golf in 2014 the My Volkswagen app provided tracking of the order through production and delivery. Not with some of the great ideas like videos of production but nonetheless with a great deal more information than we get on our Porsche orders. I wonder if the fact Porsche hasn’t done that points to it being their strategy to keep the key relationship with the dealer at this pre delivery stage, or just them not getting round to it. Be interesting to see if they feed back their views.

TIM IRELAND

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JAGUAR XF R SPORT
Country flag
CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!
That is joke to far

good work by the way ..SNH

Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I finally managed to downsize the PDF, but I had two split the presentation in two PDFs. The PDFs are attached to the original post:)
BTW, don't know what you used, but there are free online tools that are really good at cutting down the size. I have used https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf for example.

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW, don't know what you used, but there are free online tools that are really good at cutting down the size. I have used https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf for example.
Thanks for the tip @Reg :) I used the built in function I PowerPoint where you could scale down images. The presentation had a lot of high res screenshot. First I had to scale down the PPT presentation, save it and then save it as PDF. I missed the second step, and save it directly as PDF. That didn't work well.

Reactions: Reg

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
I sent the presentation to my Dealer, whom embraced it and sends it the importer Porsche Norway and hopefully forward it to Porsche AG.

I got the feedback from the Dealer before lunch, and 30 min ago I received SMS and email from Porsche Norway with a short update of the opening of the factories. I guess it was a coincindent, and not and imediate respons to the presentation;)

Porsche is working on coordinating with the suppliers to startup the production again, and the production estimate will be updated and published. We still have to be patient.
Thank you for the diligence and hard work that went into your presentation. It is truly wonderful, and I can only hope that it plants a seed at Porsche AG. I encourage everyone to pass this along to the dealerships and sales reps you have worked with. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say, and the more support this presentation receives, and the more times it gets passed up the chain to Porsche AG, the better.

Patience will be key. It won't change the experience for those of us who have come this far, but perhaps for the future Porsche customers.

Cheers!

MassDriver

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6
Country flag
Very nice, some serious thought put in to this!

At the end of the day this boils down to design, build/coding, implementation and support time. In a world of unlimited resources I'd say go for it. The only thing that gives me pause is, as an owner, it's something I'm going to use for a short period of time every few years and has very limited value compared to enhancements/fixes to the in-car systems (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ts-of-11-000-miles-of-driving.1172/post-13558) which I touch every day. Not sure how to get "relative priority" through to Porsche in making these requests from the community.

So wearing the "business owner" hat (Porsche), a few questions which would come up at a management level meeting:
  1. Is this favorable to the dealer, or will the dealer see this as an erosion of their contact with the customer and interference in the customer relationship. Is this "read only" and controlled by the dealer, or is this the start of "buy a Porsche online" like Tesla does (which will be tremendously unpopular with the dealer network).
  2. What is the intake process and what part of the organization handles the initial setup and linking (dealer, customer service, etc.)? For example a buyer would need a MyPorsche account, and the order needs to be linked to that account. At what point does the order appear in PSMS? Are there dealer steps that need to be tracked prior to it appearing in PSMS?
  3. What is the risk/reward of publishing planned and expected dates for individual steps? Is there a service level already in place for each step? Are any of the SLAs considered "commercial confidential" and should not be published as they reveal competitive information to other manufacturers
  4. What is the customer service process when web site information is insufficient (i.e. car has been stuck at V260 for 4 weeks)? Does this increase workload on customer service phone support, the dealer, other support avenue, is a new customer service process/staffing required? Is an expectation being created that the customer can "do something" about getting their car "unstuck"?
  5. Is the information complete enough to be useful? Ship assignment would need to be known at Bremerhaven, and links to commercial ship tracking made. Links to rail and autorack transports would be needed. there is no voyage tracking (of particular interest to North American customers where a vehicle can experience significant shipping delays at port, during the voyage, at receiving port, during transport phases to dealer (rail, autorack). What is the process for customer service when a car doesn't move (i.e. how/can a buyer find out the cause of shipping delays). Is there an expectation being set that the customer can "do something" about getting their car "moving"?
  6. Are their privacy concerns/right to forget/GDPR/union contract issues with providing live stream video? Is this now an "official service" that requires support/monitoring/maintenance in real time? Is it on the assembly line long enough to make real time worthwhile? Is this better serviced as a "paid option" where a camera is included with the car, and at each station staff takes a picture of the car (when you receive the car the camera is in the glove box) so you can have an historical record.
  7. Does the risk/reward of this larger Internet attack surface for Porsche systems make business sense. In a "worst case" exposure a malicious actor could exfiltrate all active Porsche orders and their shipping status. Are their liabilities of having customer order information compromised?

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @MassDriver for being devil's advocate and asking these important questions that Porsche AG and the businesses in the delivery chain need to ask them selves. I don't have their answers to these questions, but I can give my views from my knowledge (experience). These questions should Porsche ask them selves, when they initiate a digitalization prosess in this Area.

Very nice, some serious thought put in to this!

At the end of the day this boils down to design, build/coding, implementation and support time. In a world of unlimited resources I'd say go for it.
Off course, it requires funding, resources and time to realize the idea. At this stage Porsche needs to make it its own and refine it and make a Business Case, which can be approved.

The only thing that gives me pause is, as an owner, it's something I'm going to use for a short period of time every few years and has very limited value compared to enhancements/fixes to the in-car systems (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ts-of-11-000-miles-of-driving.1172/post-13558) which I touch every day. Not sure how to get "relative priority" through to Porsche in making these requests from the community.
Remember, Porsche had said that they can produce yearly 40 000 Taycan, when they have full capacity. Even though you need for a short of time, the volume will make a case. Hopefully you don't need much service of your Porsche, It's not a Tesla. You will probably need the current after sales service a short time as well.

The idea of digitalization of the purchase to delivery is mostly about how to communicate with the customer, not fixing bugs of the cars. Porsche do have a process to fixing bugs of the cars. However, we may dislike the severity of the bugs and speed of bug fix, but that is something to address to that prosess. The digitalization of the communication using e.g. My Porsche would help to provide information to the customer during their bug fixes, and keep the Customers informed, which gives the Customer a bit better experience, but also reduce the load of inquiries to the Dealers and further back in the value chain.

The principle of a Customer Journey is to provide the customer with good experience from when he or she starts thinking of purchase a new Porsche to the whole life of ownership to when he or she starts thinking about replace it and you a new one.

Actually, Porsche is not just a car manufacturer it sells the Customers experiences. Customer Journey and digitalization are align with this view.

I copy in a statement from newsroom.porsche.com:
And customer feedback? This was already hugely important then, just as it is today. After all, customers and the Porsche community are very important to us.

Digitization leads to new services — and a new way of thinking

Even though this comparison with our company history and tradition is flattering, I would like to strive a little more for current examples, because we are after all experiencing a change in mobility that has not taken place at this speed in recent years. In the next five years, there will be more changes than in the last 50 — that is how Stefan Zerweck put it in a nutshell in the interview quoted at the beginning.

So wearing the "business owner" hat (Porsche), a few questions which would come up at a management level meeting:
Is this favorable to the dealer, or will the dealer see this as an erosion of their contact with the customer and interference in the customer relationship. Is this "read only" and controlled by the dealer, or is this the start of "buy a Porsche online" like Tesla does (which will be tremendously unpopular with the dealer network).​
I'm pretty sure this will be one of the first questions that Porsche AG, Importers and Dealers will ask them selves. "What's in it for me?". Humans are by "default" sceptic to changes and will think about what they loose and not what they gain. Changes gives new opportunities.

When I purchased my Porsche specified it which an online tool and then met the Dealer and went to through the specification and sign a contract. Yes, digitalize the signing of the contract would make it whole digital. However, you may need to test-drive, get consulting from the dealer and take the delivery from the dealer. The dealer will not be obsolete. E.g. I have attended Porsche Experience events, where the dealer have made arrangements. As I said earlier, Porsche is not just a car manufacturer, but sells Customer Experience. That is something Tesla don't do in comparison.

What is the intake process and what part of the organization handles the initial setup and linking (dealer, customer service, etc.)? For example a buyer would need a MyPorsche account, and the order needs to be linked to that account. At what point does the order appear in PSMS? Are there dealer steps that need to be tracked prior to it appearing in PSMS?​
Yes, these issues have to be addressed in the digitalization process. I know from my experience, that I didn't need a VIN-number to sign up to My Porsche. I did it in October. The VIN number popped up in My Account just after it was allocated to my car.

What is the risk/reward of publishing planned and expected dates for individual steps? Is there a service level already in place for each step? Are any of the SLAs considered "commercial confidential" and should not be published as they reveal competitive information to other manufacturers​
Remember, that the dates in PSMS are estimates and not promises. I don't think the dates will be confidential to other manufactures, because they will find on the Net anyway (forums like this).

BTW, other industries have been doing this for years. E.g. eBay with delivery by UPS.

What is the customer service process when web site information is insufficient (i.e. car has been stuck at V260 for 4 weeks)? Does this increase workload on customer service phone support, the dealer, other support avenue, is a new customer service process/staffing required? Is an expectation being created that the customer can "do something" about getting their car "unstuck"?
The digitalization process should address this in an incident process, how they can update information through My Porsche. BTW, Dealers and Importers should be able to have the same information and have their processes how to deal with it.

Is the information complete enough to be useful? Ship assignment would need to be known at Bremerhaven, and links to commercial ship tracking made. Links to rail and autorack transports would be needed. there is no voyage tracking (of particular interest to North American customers where a vehicle can experience significant shipping delays at port, during the voyage, at receiving port, during transport phases to dealer (rail, autorack). What is the process for customer service when a car doesn't move (i.e. how/can a buyer find out the cause of shipping delays). Is there an expectation being set that the customer can "do something" about getting their car "moving"?
In PSMS Porsche do have a field that tells ship assignment.
Porsche Taycan How can we help Porsche to improve? 1588062678259

I haven't seen yet for train or trucks, but I'm pretty sure Porsche has that information too.
As I mention, Porsche needs to address delays in its incident process.

Just a speculation, there is a reason for the delays, but Porsche does not have the necessary process to address this. Digitalization may be a solution. Or, Porsche does not want to report the the real reason for the delay, but that will turn back to them, because the real reason will sooner be reviled through social medias by someone who knows. It will also be speculation and falls news, which Porsche, Resellers and Dealers need to handle, which cost time, money und unsatisfied Customers. I think transparency is the key.

Are their privacy concerns/right to forget/GDPR/union contract issues with providing live stream video? Is this now an "official service" that requires support/monitoring/maintenance in real time? Is it on the assembly line long enough to make real time worthwhile? Is this better serviced as a "paid option" where a camera is included with the car, and at each station staff takes a picture of the car (when you receive the car the camera is in the glove box) so you can have an historical record.
Sure, you've right. As the internal DPO in my Company, I thought about this issue and it must med addressed. Yes, this service requires to be operated and maintained, and it has to be valued in the Business Case.

Does the risk/reward of this larger Internet attack surface for Porsche systems make business sense. In a "worst case" exposure a malicious actor could exfiltrate all active Porsche orders and their shipping status. Are their liabilities of having customer order information compromised?
This must also be addressed and documented in the Business Case. E.g. surfaces to Internet should only allows views, and not editing.

Thanks again for asking those important questions.

MassDriver

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6
Country flag
Great stuff, I appreciate you having a go through. I understand where you're heading now with getting an enhanced digital experience rather than just a "car order tracker"

The digitalization of the communication using e.g. My Porsche would help to provide information to the customer during their bug fixes, and keep the Customers informed, which gives the Customer a bit better experience, but also reduce the load of inquiries to the Dealers and further back in the value chain.
I keep asking myself if the dealer sees these queries as a waste of time, or part of the relationship building experience, establishing the "trusted advisor" position for future sales opportunities. If you think about the tail off in the need for service with EVs (according to Tesla :)) a relationship building opportunity will be gone (i.e. the customer is at the dealership less frequently). Is this sales advisor/customer interaction throughout the order cycle going to be viewed as a critical part of making the customer "sticky" and a chance for Porsche to highlight their "premium experience" with hands on interactions, and if so what is the best way to get the best of both the digital experience and establish the relationship...
I know from my experience, that I didn't need a VIN-number to sign up to My Porsche. I did it in October. The VIN number popped up in My Account just after it was allocated to my car.
Excellent! Did you give the dealer your MyPorsche ID as part of the purchase process? Curious to know if this is something already integrated in the order process, or if the dealer is monitoring the orders and plugs in the information when available.
Remember, that the dates in PSMS are estimates and not promises. I don't think the dates will be confidential to other manufactures, because they will find on the Net anyway (forums like this).
Largely agree, though I have been at the desks of "B salesMen/Women" where they loved to show you screen prints of the competition's long cycle times for car deliveries when you were cross shopping and pushing them on a delivery date. Somehow that's more impactful than just a forum post complaining about how long its taking.
The digitalization process should address this in an incident process, how they can update information through My Porsche. BTW, Dealers and Importers should be able to have the same information and have their processes how to deal with it.
My experience this is a large area where the dealer is not empowered to do anything or find anything out. The speed is the speed, if it gets stuck well its stuck. I've had cars set at the port of entry for 6 weeks and not move (I could have easily had the car picked up from the PoE on a flatbed). I don't really need a lot of details on why its stopped, I just want to know when it will be on the move again, and is there anything I can do to make it go faster.
I haven't seen yet for train or trucks, but I'm pretty sure Porsche has that information too.
As I mention, Porsche needs to address delays in its incident process.
I love the idea of an "reservation to delivery" status. One real previous frustration was with dealer allocation and when I'd get to firm up an order. If the status process went from Reservation -> Dealer waiting list countdown -> order -> order processing -> build -> ship -> transport -> dealer prep -> delivery that would be excellent

Thanks again, this has been a fun thought exercise...
Sponsored

Last edited: