$1k reimbursement for electric steering column adjt

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Just got this email.

At the time of your vehicle delivery, we informed you the ongoing global semiconductor shortages forced Porsche to manufacture your vehicle with a manually adjustable steering column. Your vehicle should have been equipped with the electrically adjustable steering column, which was included in the seat memory package. We informed you of the change in vehicle specification and offered to retrofit your vehicle with the electrically adjustable steering column when it became available.

Unfortunately, since that time, the semiconductor situation has only deteriorated, making it impossible to provide the electric adjustment mechanism. Consequently, we are no longer able to offer you the retrofit. Because we are unable to perform the retrofit, we will provide you with a refund for $1,000.

Refunds will be issued on a rolling basis between June and the end of 2022 based on the delivery date of your vehicle. You will receive an email communication from [email protected] when your payment is available and will receive a second email shortly thereafter with a link to claim your refund. Reimbursements are being processed by Epiq. Epiq can be reached at the following address and more information can be found at the website and toll-free number below:

Steering Column Refund
P.O. Box 5389
Portland, OR 97228-5389

Thank you again for your patience and for accepting this refund to help maintain your satisfaction with your vehicle. For more information, please visit ElectricSteeringColumnOptionReimbursement.com or call toll free 855-917-3537 to hear answers to frequently asked questions.”

Porsche Taycan $1k reimbursement for electric steering column adjt 479A4D9B-A586-4644-9E89-A2E2CE612F7B
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 6348

That's a better deal than the $500 being given to the 992 guys.
I feel very lucky that my 22 has it.

BROUbrou09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4S, Audi e-tron
Country flag
I can confirm I received the same e-mail this morning. It's a bit aggravating that the claim is that Porsche cannot perform the retrofit due to supply chain issues when they've been shipping new vehicles for the past several months with the electronic column. Obviously, they've just done the math and figured this was the cheaper solution. It would have been better customer service for them to have offered the option of taking the $1,000 or getting the retrofit.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
One thousand? In Norway they're giving 261 USD. Looks like Porsche Norway is trying to get away with a big scam. Combine that offer, and the heaps of issues with our '21 for a year and a half, and this will definitely be the last Porsche. Joke of a company.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I received the same email. I thought it was a pretty fair deal and I honestly do not miss it. I was worried that the dealer doing the retrofit would screw up something else in my car so I am happy to take the cash.

OP
OP
f10tt

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I received the same email. I thought it was a pretty fair deal and I honestly do not miss it. I was worried that the dealer doing the retrofit would screw up something else in my car so I am happy to take the cash.
Completely agree with you. I set my wheel once and haven't touched it since. My dealership told me Macan owners are only getting $300 so I'm cool with this.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Completely agree with you. I set my wheel once and haven't touched it since. My dealership told me Macan owners are only getting $300 so I'm cool with this.
It also raises/lowers as you exit/enter as well.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It also raises/lowers as you exit/enter as well.
$1,000 is either a decent deal (if you are the only driver and never change the setting anyway) or IMHO completely insufficient (if you have more than 1 driver with substantially different body height).

I'm over a foot taller than my wife. Readjusting the steering wheel every time is a PITA and really not the experience I want at this price level. 1k doesn't do anything for me.

Beyond that, 2 really annoying things:
1) they clearly have the parts, they have been shipping 2022 cars with it. this is just cheaper than retrofitting. So stop hiding behind "there's still no parts".
2) they could have sent official messages from each dealer, or at least a Porsche North America official email. Instead, this is basically the same mechanism Hertz and other shitty companies use when doling out cash in a settlement. Real premium experience we're getting there.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Here is the entire email header to search for:

Porsche Electric Steering Column Option Reimbursement <[email protected]> via amazonses.com

I agree with @fullmetalbaal about two drivers, but since I am, for the most part, the only driver, it is less of an issue. I would like the movement during exiting the vehicle (like the seat moves back) and I am sure I could dial in the adjustment much finer with the electronic controls. However, I am used to not having it, and rather the dealer techs (who have probably not done this that often) do not use my car as a training tool!

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
This might be useful to you guys - ads as I was reading this thread :D who said eBay ad bots don't ha e a sense of humour!

Porsche Taycan $1k reimbursement for electric steering column adjt Screenshot_20220610-200120_Edge

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Thank you for your patience and for accepting this refund...
Wow! The above implies that customer has a choice. Of course it CAN be retrofitted, it just costs too much money. The monetary upper bound of that upgrade is the cost to upgrade the customer to a brand new car with power steering. So they are lying that something cannot be done, then implying the customer had a choice. If customer sent them a letter that due to supply chain issues, customer's small business is making less money, therefore customer will be paying less every month for the lease, and thank Porsche for accepting this offer, they would laugh at it and use lawyers to extract the originally agreed upon contract terms. But in the opposite direction, they violate the contract and thank the customer for accepting compensation they set.

As @BROUbrou09 said above, they should have offered this an an option, since it seems plenty of people (at least on this forum) would happily jump on the $1,000 offer, then eat the cost and perform the upgrade for the rest, or at least offer full purchase price refund on the car, since many people accepted delivery on the condition that the retrofit will be done. I suspect if someone was to use legal means, they could actually extract the upgrade from Porsche, they are just counting that nobody (or very few) will. The "thank you for accepting" may even be there for a legal reasons, to allow their lawyers to argue that anyone who takes the refund is in fact agreeing to forgo any and all claims to the retrofit. Lawyers - always sleazy.

For anyone going through the Epiq, watch the legal fine print. I bet you will be signing that you are waiving all your rights away and absolving Porsche from their obligation. There probably is a way to reject the proposed settlement, but then you might have to sue to get what was promised to you you in your contract, or perhaps get a better settlement.

Maybe the lesson from this is that for any such post delivery promises, have the dealer put in explicit remedies in Porsche is unable to delivery within some specific time. Being a Tesla customer, I would have insisted on such explicit conditions, no "we'll do something some day or give you some money we decide is fair", as I have been burned by such Tesla promises in the past. I guess Porsche operates in similar ways.

Last edited:

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
anyone in the UK had a compensation offer, had mine 10 months now and no comms at all from Porsche on the steering column fix.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
IMHO, if it’s on the Monroney, you’re entitled to it by purchasing the car. Further, IIRC you were given a letter from Porsche at delivery stating it would be retrofitted. Furtherer, Porsche created a campaign that included doing the retrofit, then decided to delete those task from it. Furtherest, if you have a WE OWE from the dealer, they’re an accessory (pun intended? not sure if).

If you’re in the “I want it“ camp (and I would be), I would try to opt out of being sent a check, or if that’s not possible, not cash the check they sent until I talked to an automotive lawyer. I would think any of the lemon law practices would be interested in hearing about this situation. I’m not usually a litigious person, but OTOH when a company perpetrates BS like this, that’s what the legal system’s for.

VAG has learned from this situation, though. In May my wife bought an Audi Q5. We shopped for a while; every one we found had the “Semiconductor Delete Package” (clearly named for the lulz) on the Monroney. The line item description for this package stated all the options that were removed and the dollar amount being deducted from the MSRP. In the end, we were lucky to find ONE on a dealer’s lot that omitted this package & had all the features.
Sponsored

Last edited: