XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Not true about launch control - at least with Porsche. You launch all your heart desires with no problems. That said, I like Bjorn's videos.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Been awhile since there was Bjorn video. I thought this one raised some interesting points.

Interesting about the “slower” fast charging. Gets you to the same place at the same time if you are targeting a high SOC. I dont ever intend to charge outside my home but its good to understand that there is a relationship between battery temp and longevity.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I dont ever intend to charge outside my home but its good to understand that there is a relationship between battery temp and longevity.
Yes even at home I have my PMCC power dialled down to about 20 amps (max 40) as I mostly charge overnight for over 12 hours so no need to even need level 2 charging.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Cool to see this formally tested. I don't DCFC charge much so I never changed the setting. It makes sense to use the saver option since just stopping to use the restroom and getting a snack takes about the time for the charging curve to catch up.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
For those type A folks who don't want to sit through a video (like me):

- Battery saving fast charging caps speeds just below 200kW
- The tail end of the charging curve is a little higher though
- If you do the full charge the battery saver mode works out roughly the same as the full speed mode, maybe saving a few mins at most.

I'm not using it anyway, I'm a speed junkie.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
For those type A folks who don't want to sit through a video (like me):

- Battery saving fast charging caps speeds just below 200kW
- The tail end of the charging curve is a little higher though
- If you do the full charge the battery saver mode works out roughly the same as the full speed mode, maybe saving a few mins at most.

I'm not using it anyway, I'm a speed junkie.
I’ve been using it since I got it and as others have noted its not the Porsche that typically holds one up even at that setting. By time let the dog out, gone to get/remove coffee then done. Most of my mileage involves DC and as have the car for 4 years thought was worth doing. Do hope to drive to the alps early next year so for that trip I’ll flip to max for max stop optimisation 👍

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
The full speed 270 kW DC Fast Charging is really the super power of the Taycan as GT road tripping beast. Hard not to use it on a long trip unless you want some extra time to eat and use the facilities.

MyA

First Name
Marc-Yvon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fast is cool but then, we are still dependant on the infrastructure’s ability to deliver…

How often have I came up with a low Soc, pre-heated battery, and realize that the charging station does not deliver to its promise (yeah those 350 kW power stations….)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The full speed 270 kW DC Fast Charging is really the super power of the Taycan as GT road tripping beast. Hard not to use it on a long trip unless you want some extra time to eat and use the facilities.
how many times have you been able to get charging at that level?
for me, zero
you are a hostage to the inadequacies of the infrastructure.
regardless of the hype the reality is that it is rare if ever charging comes close to delivering at that level.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
how many times have you been able to get charging at that level?
Multiple times on my one and only road trip so far. Maybe I got lucky but it was a fantastic experience overall for me. And yes, I’ve been on the other side of the equation where a 350 was super slow and I had to move to a different unit but that was the exception on my trip.

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes even at home I have my PMCC power dialled down to about 20 amps (max 40) as I mostly charge overnight for over 12 hours so no need to even need level 2 charging.
hi Jay, interesting point. Did you read somewhere that the lower amp with AC charging would prolong battery life?

For what I can recall there was a message recommend by Porsche for the 22kw optioned charger: “
To increase the lifetime of the 22kW on-board charger, when charging from a single-phase power supply, it is recommended to limit maximum power to 25A (6kW).”

But if I did not option this, would the recommendation still apply?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
hi Jay, interesting point. Did you read somewhere that the lower amp with AC charging would prolong battery life?

For what I can recall there was a message recommend by Porsche for the 22kw optioned charger: “
To increase the lifetime of the 22kW on-board charger, when charging from a single-phase power supply, it is recommended to limit maximum power to 25A (6kW).”

But if I did not option this, would the recommendation still apply?
This is a general recommendation for all EV. Fast charging is bad for battery life. And the faster you charge the worse it is. It would make sense to limit fastest charging only to when really needed. AC en DC charging are two different things.
Sponsored