ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The last of Bjorn Nyland's videos while borrowing the Taycan 4S with smaller battery pack. This one shows charging rates at a variety of chargers and a variety of starting state of charges and battery temperatures. He also speaks of the 150 kilowatt DC-DC option. (I am personally skipping that option in the United States as I do not find the necessity.)

Porsche Taycan 4S 79 kWh charging test
Bjørn Nyland
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
What do the UK folks think about the 150 optional charger? I’ve got it in my spec as I though I might need it? Thoughts?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I removed from mine after looking for 400vdc chargers that are over 50kW. There are so few in the USA. But you should check your region on a site like PlugShare or others for Europe. If you find many 100kW or better 400vdc chargers (non-ionity as theirs are 800) and many other new ones are 800v now.

some people say that it would be more efficient at even the 50 kilowatt rate but there has been no proof. See the thread I started on this. https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/150kw-dc-dc-converter-option.1267/

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
upgraded. But I just tried a 60kw 500volt station and it too charged at 46-47kw only. :/
I would have thought that would be a bit higher on the KW. Maybe battery temp or SOC

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I posted this elsewhere, but it deserves to be reposted here: YOUR CHARGE RATE WILL VARY. Actual data from my car at 18 different 50kW charging stations. Don't panic if it is lower than you expected. That will happen sometimes. For reasons that may be under your control, but might not.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan 4S 79 kWh charging test - Bjørn Nyland 1590246912517

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I posted this elsewhere, but it deserves to be reposted here: YOUR CHARGE RATE WILL VARY. Actual data from my car at 18 different 50kW charging stations. Don't panic if it is lower than you expected. That will happen sometimes. For reasons that may be under your control, but might not.

1590246912517.png
Thanks. Not much of a drop from 50KW. Excellent.

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

1590246912517.png
I saw this before, thanks, really helpful.

Because of that I tried to drive only on Range mode (read somewhere it keeps the battery warm) and I drove with 150km/h until I got down to around 50% from 100%. Then charged to around 70% in 20ish minutes on a 50kw/400volt station. Then drove some more for 30 more %, even more aggressive than before,this time on Sport+, and tried charging on the 60kw/500volt station. As I said, didn’t get past 48kw/h for 15 minutes and I gave up.

How do you see the battery temperature at time of charging?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I saw this before, thanks, really helpful.

Because of that I tried to drive only on Range mode (read somewhere it keeps the battery warm) and I drove with 150km/h until I got down to around 50% from 100%. Then charged to around 70% in 20ish minutes on a 50kw/400volt station. Then drove some more for 30 more %, even more aggressive than before,this time on Sport+, and tried charging on the 60kw/500volt station. As I said, didn’t get past 48kw/h for 15 minutes and I gave up.

How do you see the battery temperature at time of charging?
No, Range Mode doesn't affect the battery temperature. (Yes, just driving will probably increase the battery temperature, but Range mode isn't artificially doing anything to the temp. That's my simple answer to a complex question.)

Sprints in Sport+ Mode (50mph to 120+ mph, regen brake heavily to 50 mph, repeat): will increase your battery temperature. In my experience, 2°F with each run.

If your Nav destination is a DC Fast Charger, the car will heat up the battery to above 77°F.

48kW of power out of a 50kW capable station is pretty damn good. I don't expect more than that.

The Battery Temp can be seen by programming the "Information" section of the right hand set of displays on the main screen (in front of the driver).

The battery can take 50kW at ANY temperature. But, if the SoC is above 80%, you'll see the charge rate slow down.

If you want to compare real data, collect this information BEFORE charging starts:
- Battery Temperature
- Battery SoC
- Station Rating: <50kW, 50kW, 100kW, 150kW, 200kW, 320kW, 350kW

Then, during charging, watch for:
- Maximum Observed Charge rate

Then at the End:
- Ending Battery Temperature
- Ending SoC
- Station Location and Brand (if you want)

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No, Range Mode doesn't affect the battery temperature. (Yes, just driving will probably increase the battery temperature, but Range mode isn't artificially doing anything to the temp. That's my simple answer to a complex question.)

Sprints in Sport+ Mode (50mph to 120+ mph, regen brake heavily to 50 mph, repeat): will increase your battery temperature. In my experience, 2°F with each run.

If your Nav destination is a DC Fast Charger, the car will heat up the battery to above 77°F.

48kW of power out of a 50kW capable station is pretty damn good. I don't expect more than that.

The Battery Temp can be seen by programming the "Information" section of the right hand set of displays on the main screen (in front of the driver).

The battery can take 50kW at ANY temperature. But, if the SoC is above 80%, you'll see the charge rate slow down.

If you want to compare real data, collect this information BEFORE charging starts:
- Battery Temperature
- Battery SoC
- Station Rating: <50kW, 50kW, 100kW, 150kW, 200kW, 320kW, 350kW

Then, during charging, watch for:
- Maximum Observed Charge rate

Then at the End:
- Ending Battery Temperature
- Ending SoC
- Station Location and Brand (if you want)
okay will do.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another view of real life data: Observed Maximum Charge Rates vs. Initial SoC.

Note 1: Battery Temperature is not taken into account. (but you can assume that if the Max Charging was below 100kW, the battery was either cold, or nearly full, or both)
Note 2: This data is 150-350kW stations only. L2 and 50kW stations not shown.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan 4S 79 kWh charging test - Bjørn Nyland Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 1.55.59 PM

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I was quite impressed with the Ionity charger today. Air temperature was about 25 degrees Celsius and the battery had been preconditioned by the car. I put in the Ionity charger as a destination in the chargeplanner and the battery was about 35 degrees C. Even between 70% and 80% the charge rate was 100 kW! It was higher from the start when I had about 40% charge, but I did not note the exact figure. See enclosed picture.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Taycan 4S 79 kWh charging test - Bjørn Nyland 4FA932B3-165D-4D31-8BD7-D312E4214FB0

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No idea why the picture is not showing the right way up??
Sponsored