4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Look up my post "The Argument for RAS" which ended up somewhere around 6 pages of thoughts on this topic.
Sponsored

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
RAS is absolutely NOT essential, but is definitely beneficial for tight manoeuvring.
(Though after my first 1000 miles of near daily use in tight situations, I'm still finding that parking closely parallel to the kerb or manoeuvring in a tight garage space require more conscious effort due to insufficient familiarity with RAS behaviour).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I suspect that for most of those that experience this that it is as much a carrier/infrastructure issue as anything else - but just a opinion.
I don’t think that theory is supported by the fact that it’s not an issue in any other car. The Taycan is the only vehicle I’ve had this problem on. And it’s a problem for both my and my wife’s phones. And it 100% goes away if I roll a window down.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Don't have. Might consider it but I heard a few horror stories. Has to be reset once a year or if you change wheels or tyres for example. Meaning it was money sink annually. Maybe someone with can advise how often it needs to be realigned and the cost.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've searched this forum for quite awhile looking to get some feedback on whether to add this option to my 2023 4S build. Seems that those who have it say they'd add it again if they were to order the car again and those who don't have say they don't miss it. One of the best comments (here or perhaps another forum) said, "When on the highway, it makes the car feel like a long wheelbase car and when turning at slow speeds it makes a long wheelbase car feel like a short wheelbase car. At $1,630 for the option, I'd love to get feedback from any of you who may have put a fair number of miles on Taycans with and without the option. Thanks!
A must have!

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another pro voice. I would rank it as "great to have", not "must have".
I'm coming from a very similar dimensioned Maserati and in only 2,000 miles of driving, I'm regularly pleased with the tight turning circle for parking lots, u-turns, etc.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
It is awesome at both high speeds and low speeds, particularly in an urban environment. If you don't live in an urban environment, you may not miss it.

Reactions: B61

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I had RAS on my Cayenne coupe. When it came to ordering my Taycan GTS, at first I left it off the build.

After watching this video, I went back and added it to my build. If you haven't seen it already, maybe it will help you understand RAS more and decide if you want it as he does a great job explaining it.

I've driven a rental Taycan sedan without RAS before I got my car (which I optioned with RAS) and I will attest the difference in tight spaces maneuvering is a big difference 👍🏼

OP
OP

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
I've driven a rental Taycan sedan without RAS before I got my car (which I optioned with RAS) and I will attest the difference in tight spaces maneuvering is a big difference 👍🏼
Very helpful video, thanks.

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is awesome at both high speeds and low speeds, particularly in an urban environment. If you don't live in an urban environment, you may not miss it.
+1. I think it comes down to this. Urban vs non-urban environments.

If you have to u-turn on two land streets. You’ll find RAS let’s you handle these easily with a three point turn. Likely tight and a four point turn otherwise.

I also find I can u turn fine in this car whereas there is no way in the Land Cruiser of similar dimensions. It’d be a three point u-turn.

Parking lots and tight spaces (both width challenged spots as well as narrow widths in the parking lane between two opposing rows of spots) are also where this feature shines too.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Think its worth considering that insulated glass option?
Air condition is strong enough, but i’d definitely recommend insulated glass.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Have to disagree 100% re not getting thermal/noise insulated glass. The noise reduction you feel immediately - no brainer, and very real.

Now in regards heat/humidity, I can gaurantee that STL is not going to beat Houston for heat and humidity :) - we’ve also lately been experiencing feel like (and actual) temps of 105-120 almost every day through June and now July (humidity 60-80%). Def earlier than usual this year.

I had a Macan loaner in this period (late June) with window tint and the very first and very immediate thing I noticed on transitioning from my CT was a MASSIVE difference in heat transfer to the cabin - blew me away and had not quite realized how effective the thermal barrier impact of this glass is- I do also have Xpel tint but no addl IR effect, just tint. I would absolutely recommend getting it for climate regions like ours - another no brainer imo!

I also in 8 months have had zero issues (as I’d argue is true for the majority of pano roof cars here) with cell interference and from what I’ve read to date I suspect that for most of those that experience this that it is as much a carrier/infrastructure issue as anything else - but just a opinion.
+1

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
My Cross Turismo has RAS and I was skeptical until I made my first U-Turn. I'm now a believer and it makes the car drive smaller, especially in tight spaces. I'm still on the fence whether or not I would get the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass again or not....

ray23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
nice to know, and probably little known: the rear axle steering option also includes a more direct steering rack at the front axle (meaning the same angle applied to the steering wheel translates to a greater angle at the front wheels), which translates to a more direct steering behavior in general . this of course adds to RAS' counter-steering of the rear wheels at low speeds and further enhances the car's agility at all speeds.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I think that rear axle steering is absolutely fantastic and I cannot imagine the car without it. For context, I live in an urban area and it makes it so much easier to parallel park, make u-turns, and generally maneuver in tight spaces. The car seems much smaller. It also "seems" like it makes the car handle better in high speed corners (i.e., 80-120 mph), but that may just be wishful thinking as I have not taken the same corners in a non-rear axle steering car.

You do have to get used to it. I just slightly curbed my carbon fiber blade rear passenger wheel when turning right into a driveway with a stone curb during heavy traffic when the car turned tighter than one would expect and it got my rear wheels closer to the curb than I had expected. It wasn't bad and didn't get up into the paint or carbon fiber, but I have owned my 911 for 16 years and haven't curbed it once, so pretty disappointing.
Sponsored