Auto Overrun Recuperation Setting (Auto Regeneration)

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The Porsche Good To Know app describes Auto Overrun Recuperation as "variable adaptation of overrun recuperation based on data relating to the area around the vehicle." I have used the setting around town, and with COVID-19 the traffic on the highway has been lighter than usual. I had no idea what the auto setting did other than kick in sometimes. It felt inconsistent. The description in the owner's manual was useless.

Earlier today I took a 90 mile drive on the highway. There was traffic. I do not have Adaptive Cruise Control or Innodrive on my Taycan. I discovered that when I lifted my foot off the accelerator the Auto Recuperation setting applied regeneration more aggressively when I was in or approaching traffic. It was actually fun to feel it kick in on the off ramps with cars in front of me. It was similar to the feeling of downshifting with paddle shifters in an ICE vehicle. The Taycan must be using the cameras similar to what it does for Adaptive Cruise Control to detect cars in front of it and apply more regeneration when another car is detected in front of the Taycan. The amount of regeneration is minimal when no cars are around.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Interesting observation. I tried the recuperation yesterday but did not feel this difference. I did use the ACC to have better regeneration when rolling downhill and that worked a treat. No need to dab the break pedal ever so often.

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting observation. I tried the recuperation yesterday but did not feel this difference. I did use the ACC to have better regeneration when rolling downhill and that worked a treat. No need to dab the break pedal ever so often.
With normal recuperation on (without the A symbol) it will not do what I described. It only works in Auto mode (hold down recuperation button for two seconds - recup with A symbol will go on). It is most noticeable on the highway/motorway. Try it without ACC. When traffic is clear in front there will be minimal recup. Next drive with a car within a few car lengths in front of you (if you have ACC on you will maintain too much distance between you and the car in front of you). When you lift your foot off the accelerator, the recup dial will be very green - similar to amount of green you see on the dial when you apply the brakes.

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here are two video clips to show the big difference in the amount of auto recuperation when you lift your foot off the accelerator and the Taycan senses traffic far away vs. close in front of it.

Attachments

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Related to one peddle driving is the suggestion I heard in another car review of setting the ACC at a very low speed then when you take your foot of accelerator it regens pretty hard. Maybe someone with the car can experiment on how that feels and how low you can set it if useful.

Reactions: Dee

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
After many miles of driving the car, I want Regen to be on all the time. Not variable. Never off. Not associated with the Normal vs Sport mode setting. I want my car to be... Predictable.

I like that we have an option. Personal choice is great. But for reasons of safety, I want my car to behave the same way tomorrow as it did today. If I turn it off today, I want it off tomorrow.

Just my $0.02. (or 2 baht, 2 pesos, two Canadian pennies, or whatever currency you use)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
After many miles of driving the car, I want Regen to be on all the time. Not variable. Never off. Not associated with the Normal vs Sport mode setting. I want my car to be... Predictable.

I like that we have an option. Personal choice is great. But for reasons of safety, I want my car to behave the same way tomorrow as it did today. If I turn it off today, I want it off tomorrow.

Just my $0.02. (or 2 baht, 2 pesos, two Canadian pennies, or whatever currency you use)
Agreed, they should add the regen setting to your driver profile so when you set the seats, steering wheel etc you get your regen setting.

Right now I would say it is predictable, when you have multiple drivers, it is always off when you start.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With normal recuperation on (without the A symbol) it will not do what I described. It only works in Auto mode (hold down recuperation button for two seconds - recup with A symbol will go on). It is most noticeable on the highway/motorway. Try it without ACC. When traffic is clear in front there will be minimal recup. Next drive with a car within a few car lengths in front of you (if you have ACC on you will maintain too much distance between you and the car in front of you). When you lift your foot off the accelerator, the recup dial will be very green - similar to amount of green you see on the dial when you apply the brakes.
I tried this yesterday and it worked very well driving on a busy motorway. There clearly was much more recup than in normal recup mode.

It also worked as described going downhill with other cars in front of you. It tried to slow down and not get too close to the cars. However going downhill with out any cars in front, I feel there was less recup if any? Is that your experience as well? I would like the car to at least have the standard mode of regen as a fallback at that stage. Having to switch modes and turn it off or on makes it not so useful. I wish it could be programmed?

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tried this yesterday and it worked very well driving on a busy motorway. There clearly was much more recup than in normal recup mode.

It also worked as described going downhill with other cars in front of you. It tried to slow down and not get too close to the cars. However going downhill with out any cars in front, I feel there was less recup if any? Is that your experience as well? I would like the car to at least have the standard mode of regen as a fallback at that stage. Having to switch modes and turn it off or on makes it not so useful. I wish it could be programmed?
Correct, downhill no cars in front has almost no recup In the auto recup setting.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed, but @Scandinavian you can simply set the cruise control speed when going downhill and it should use Regen to maintain it.
Yes that certainly works. I have tested that down to about 40 km/h but did not get a chance to test it for lower speeds.