New Porsche Luxury SUV to Sit Above Cayenne (+Panamera EV!?)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Interesting indeed but I still can't fathom the ongoing need for both Taycan and Panamera - a merger is needed as they both have the same dimensions and offer up to 4+1 seating. The additional 'luxury' of the Panamera could easily be incorporated into the Taycan - soft close doors for one!

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I would guess that the new electric Panamera will be a sports-oriented luxury car a little longer, heavier and less nimble than the new Taycan which will be a luxury sports car with a little less space inside and a slightly smaller footprint and starting price.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Much as I appreciated my Cayenne, an SUV “wider and larger than the Cayenne” does not sound a practical proposition for many British roads and parking spaces.
Think of Range Rover as the target as latest gen will offer full EV drive. Different price point too and therefore more profit to be made. New Rangie bears testimony to that.

Cayenne is too small IMHO (I've had 2).

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Much as I appreciated my Cayenne, an SUV “wider and larger than the Cayenne” does not sound a practical proposition for many British roads and parking spaces.
There's a huge market opportunity for Porsche in the US for a 3 row bigger SUV. Lots of profit being lost to the GLS and X7, especially if they can price it properly. Even the new Range Rover is offering 3 rows and proper seating for 7. So much carpooling goes on here... as much as I hate to say my family of 5 "needs" 7 seats, the flexibility has been useful.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting indeed but I still can't fathom the ongoing need for both Taycan and Panamera - a merger is needed as they both have the same dimensions and offer up to 4+1 seating. The additional 'luxury' of the Panamera could easily be incorporated into the Taycan - soft close doors for one!
The Panamera is a true four door, four seater luxury sedan. The Taycan is a smaller, much more difficult to enter/exit sport sedan that happens to have four doors. Two different animals in my opinion.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised at either of these developments. Porsche intends to electrify everything in their lineup, save for maybe going hybrid with the 911. They've also been targeting a larger SUV for a while; makes perfect sense that it would be electric.

Reactions: B61

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Think of Range Rover as the target as latest gen will offer full EV drive. Different price point too and therefore more profit to be made. New Rangie bears testimony to that.

Cayenne is too small IMHO (I've had 2).
There's a huge market opportunity for Porsche in the US for a 3 row bigger SUV. Lots of profit being lost to the GLS and X7, especially if they can price it properly. Even the new Range Rover is offering 3 rows and proper seating for 7. So much carpooling goes on here... as much as I hate to say my family of 5 "needs" 7 seats, the flexibility has been useful.
I can see that there is a market (even if in UK it's less practical- but now we're even seeing more oversize pickups / Taliban taxis that make Range Rovers look handy)...but I don't think it's a good fit with Porsche's sporting attributes. Maybe similar words to those were uttered when the Cayenne first appeared, but now within VAG there's Audi and Bentley to pander to that market (and the VW Amarok for the Taliban).

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can see that there is a market (even if in UK it's less practical- but now we're even seeing more oversize pickups / Taliban taxis that make Range Rovers look handy)...but I don't think it's a good fit with Porsche's sporting attributes. Maybe similar words to those were uttered when the Cayenne first appeared, but now within VAG there's Audi and Bentley to pander to that market (and the VW Amarok for the Taliban).
I hear you… but we all said the same about Ferrari and Lamborghini before they got into SUVs. Where there’s money to be made, there’s a way.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The Panamera is a true four door, four seater luxury sedan. The Taycan is a smaller, much more difficult to enter/exit sport sedan that happens to have four doors. Two different animals in my opinion.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised at either of these developments. Porsche intends to electrify everything in their lineup, save for maybe going hybrid with the 911. They've also been targeting a larger SUV for a while; makes perfect sense that it would be electric.
Not sure I'd agree with 'smaller' - I had a Pana ST (4 seat config) prior to my Taycan so have lived and breathed it. Ingress / egress for sure is better (different roof line) on the Pana. Interior wise and physical dimensions are so close (in fact the Taycan is slightly wider at a certain point) and there's not much in it in terms of wheelbase.

Even dealers don't see the rationale for 2 similar models and so this is a decision driven by Accountants in my view.

Reactions: B61

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not sure I'd agree with 'smaller' - I had a Pana ST (4 seat config) prior to my Taycan so have lived and breathed it. Ingress / egress for sure is better (different roof line) on the Pana. Interior wise and physical dimensions are so close (in fact the Taycan is slightly wider at a certain point) and there's not much in it in terms of wheelbase.

Even dealers don't see the rationale for 2 similar models and so this is a decision driven by Accountants in my view.
Rear seat dimensions are larger in the Pana, and the door entries are much easier. I have to apologize to friends who have to climb in and out of my car, including the front passenger seat. Luckily I rarely have people in my car.

I initially disregarded the Taycan because I was benchmarking it as a true four door luxury car and found it lacking, but changed my mind when I realized that I really wanted was an electric GT car that could carry four in a pinch.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Rear seat dimensions are larger in the Pana, and the door entries are much easier. I have to apologize to friends who have to climb in and out of my car, including the front passenger seat. Luckily I rarely have people in my car.

I initially disregarded the Taycan because I was benchmarking it as a true four door luxury car and found it lacking, but changed my mind when I realized that I really wanted was an electric GT car that could carry four in a pinch.
Though the Taycan, Panamera and Cayenne are close in external width, the Taycan cabin tapering to the rear makes it significantly the least wide across the rear seats (not that I've taken a tape measure to them all).
Sponsored