New Porsche Luxury SUV to Sit Above Cayenne (+Panamera EV!?)

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
The Taycan is a smaller, much more difficult to enter/exit sport sedan that happens to have four doors. Two different animals in my opinion.
Since we're having fun speculating, I can see a taller Taycan Cross Turismo, in an SUV format. The Taycan is a big car with a lot of wasted room. In an SUV configuration it would be easier to get in and out of plus the SUV format is super popular in the US.
This would be like the Tesla model 3 turning into the model Y. And guess which is the most popular Tesla model right now? The SUVish model Y.
A Taycan 'Cross Turismo' SUV would become Porsche's most popular EV model.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Wow wasn’t expecting a Panamera EV. So Taycan/Panamera EV is basically Porsche’s version of EQE/EQS?
Once the electric A6 was announced, the Panamera EV was inevitable. The Taycan is my “in between vehicle” I went with the Taycan primarily because, I want to let Porsche get through the teething issues on the Panamera before jumping in.

The future of EVs is pretty bright.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Not sure I'd agree with 'smaller' - I had a Pana ST (4 seat config) prior to my Taycan so have lived and breathed it. Ingress / egress for sure is better (different roof line) on the Pana. Interior wise and physical dimensions are so close (in fact the Taycan is slightly wider at a certain point) and there's not much in it in terms of wheelbase.

Even dealers don't see the rationale for 2 similar models and so this is a decision driven by Accountants in my view.
Taycan is for sure more of a mid-tier car from a Porsche pov. True luxury is being reserved for the Pan. It was also less risky for Porsche to create a completely new variant for their first EV. If it was a flop, they could have simply killed the Taycan brand and moved on without injury to the rest of the lineup. Given the Taycan success, they can put their full efforts in to the Macan, Cayenne, and Panamera.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Rear seat dimensions are larger in the Pana, and the door entries are much easier. I have to apologize to friends who have to climb in and out of my car, including the front passenger seat. Luckily I rarely have people in my car.

I initially disregarded the Taycan because I was benchmarking it as a true four door luxury car and found it lacking, but changed my mind when I realized that I really wanted was an electric GT car that could carry four in a pinch.
I got my 95 year old father-in-law in the passenger seat. Your friends really need to work on their flexibility 😉

Electric Panamera makes no sense

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I'd like a 2 door Grand Tourer Taycan with no back seats but the same trunk/frunk as the current car has.

The upcoming 718 derived EV won't have enough storage for me to consider for road-trips.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
I see a lot of overlap between the present pana and taycan - but if you look at the Audi Sphere concept - kind of an A9 large luxury GT - it would make sense to share that platform - and go large on a sporting EQS rival from Porsche - reducing overlap with Taycan. Pana does not have to stay the same scale or aim for the same target audience as the present one.

I think Porsche are realising their differentiator in a future EV world may not be purely their historical daily usable practical performance sports cars - most EVs will have phenomenal acceleration - and many are not bad at handling - also with present (and growing) traffic levels, using a Porsche's sporting potential becomes impossible in the day-to-day - finally the emerging EU/US regulations on big-brother type car monitoring/control systems means you won't be allowed to take liberties driving sportively etc..

that leaves tech/quality/luxury/style/design/comfort/cachet as areas for differentiation - with just a nod towards sportiveness - rather than trying to claim the bomb-proof sporting crown (as Porsche have now). their fight will be in a different (and new to them) arena - sadly.

Just my guesswork given present trends. ..... for my next car (after my taycan CT-T which I will keep for 3Y+) - subject to competition - I fancy the new RR EV

Last edited:

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Since we're having fun speculating, I can see a taller Taycan Cross Turismo, in an SUV format. The Taycan is a big car with a lot of wasted room. In an SUV configuration it would be easier to get in and out of plus the SUV format is super popular in the US.
This would be like the Tesla model 3 turning into the model Y. And guess which is the most popular Tesla model right now? The SUVish model Y.
A Taycan 'Cross Turismo' SUV would become Porsche's most popular EV model.
It would be something I'd likely consider buying, for sure. But I fear that what Porsche is looking to do here is an uglier XC90-type (or Land Rover LR4-type) of larger SUV with 3-row seating, to overcome the frequent criticism that the Cayenne has limited interior space for families and people with needs for lots of cargo space.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I fear that what Porsche is looking to do here is an uglier XC90-type (or Land Rover LR4-type) of larger SUV with 3-row seating, to overcome the frequent criticism that the Cayenne has limited interior space for families and people with needs for lots of cargo space.
The only two 7 seat EVs today are the Tesla model X and the Rivian R1S. The Tesla is stupid overpriced at $132,000 for their basic model (non-Plaid). The Rivian might be an option but if Porsche had a $150,000 7 passenger EV SUV based on the Taycan footprint (so it will fit in my garage, which the Taycan does), that would be a great alternative.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Much as I appreciated my Cayenne, an SUV “wider and larger than the Cayenne” does not sound a practical proposition for many British roads and parking spaces.
Something tells me North America is more the target market for a new full size luxury vehicle.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
That’s a bit harsh. A nicer interpretation is that there are plenty of Porsche and sports car enthusiasts who need space (like those with kids) who would leap at the chance to experience as much of a sports car feeling while meeting their transportation needs. I’m sure many would love to have cheaper options, but big SUVs that are fast and that handle well for their size are expensive. That doesn’t make them all assholes.

If this had come out when my 3 kids were younger, I would have been interested. I personally don’t think I’m rich or an asshole, but I’m sure you could find some or many who disagree with my view on one or both points.
Sponsored