OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The 14-50 seems to be packaged separately because there are several cord options, but yes it should have come with it in a separate bag or box.
Thanks. So is the 14-50 normally included with the other plug? Do you get both? Or are you supposed to order one included and pay separately for the other if you want it. And is it supposed to come with mounting hardware?
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thanks. So is the 14-50 normally included with the other plug? Do you get both? Or are you supposed to order one included and pay separately for the other if you want it. And is it supposed to come with mounting hardware?
In the trunk there should be a black zippered case. Inside is the Mobile Charger Connect, mounting brackets, a pile of manuals, the 25 feet cord if spec'd, the 110V cord, and the NEMA 14-50 cord. If you ordered something other than the NEMA 14-50 cord it will be there in lieu of the 14-50 cord.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
my understanding is the three prong plug is provided with the charger when packaged for the United States. Then an additional secondary plug for 220v is adidon in a separate package based on the customer's selection.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In the trunk there should be a black zippered case. Inside is the Mobile Charger Connect, mounting brackets, a pile of manuals, the 25 feet cord if spec'd, the 110V cord, and the NEMA 14-50 cord. If you ordered something other than the NEMA 14-50 cord it will be there in lieu of the 14-50 cord.
I don’t have the car yet. I just picked up the charger connect at the dealer so I could get it mounted. It was in a box. The dealer is telling me that the mounting brackets are a $180 add-on (see below). So you’re saying they should be included with the car?

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage 1589925586035

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a picture of what comes with the car in the US. Please ignore the extra cord in the bag. When I spec'd my car, I didn't know the NEMA 14-50 cord was automatically included. I accidentally ordered the NEMA 14-30 cord, so I had to purchase the NEMA 14-50 from the parts dept at the dealership. (I have the NEMA 14-50, 14-30, and the 3 prong 110V cords and the 25 ft charging cable).

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage 20200519_175723_resized

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t have the car yet. I just picked up the charger connect at the dealer so I could get it mounted. It was in a box. The dealer is telling me that the mounting brackets are a $180 add-on (see below). So you’re saying they should be included with the car?

1589925586035.png
In the picture I posted the items in the bubble wrap are the mounting brackets which were included. I think they are the basic wall mount.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. I didn’t get a bag either. What about the mounting hardware? I don’t see that in your picture.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have not been told there is _ANY_ mounting included for the Porsche mobile EVSE you are forced to purchase with the vehicle at this time.

Porsche mounting options for the included EVSE are all at additional cost or DYI…
once again dealer network leads me astray - apparently there is a minimal mounting bracket included.

Your electrician should install a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 plug (standard supply included with the charger/vehicle in the US if you do not specify otherwise)

other options with the Porsche EVSE with a different supply cable are:

NEMA 6-50 - same 50 amp circuit
NEMA 6-30 - 30 amp circuit
NEMA 14-30 - 30 amp circuit

if you get any of the 3 plugs above installed in your garage you will need to work with your dealer to obtain the correct supply cable for the included Porsche EVSE - your dealer should be able to order the correct cable and it may or may not be at additional cost.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you! That will be good ammo to use when I ask the dealer to give me the mounting brackets.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I guess the price for the mounting bracket in the pictures are for additional brackets if you would like to have in another garage at the summerhouse or so.
I also had all that included but for European use. One 220 volt connector and a three phase 32 amp plug as well as 2.5 and 7.5 meter car plug. All items are really substantial and of high quality. The bracket is designed so that the charger can be put in place and taken along for a trip very easily. Nice touch and tidy. And the bag is substantial and also has hooks to make sure it is tied down in the trunk.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
... I'll leave the 25 foot cable in the car for overnight trips when an ElectrifyAmerica location is not handy or a Porsche dealer is not close by/ on the way.
Be aware, most Porsche dealers that I’ve visited (maybe six or seven?) did NOT have fast DC Charging stations. Just Level 2, in some cases the older (read: slower) versions that came with the Panamera Hybrid.

Now I need to add an extension cord with a 30-amp plug on one end and a 14-50 female plug on the other and some assorted adapters for road use. ...
Be very very careful with that kind of cable. It’s technically illegal (read: not to code) and could allow you (read: a device you connect to it) to attempt to draw 50 amps through a wiring circuit designed to handle only 30 Amps. Best case, the breaker trips. Worst case: You burn down a house. (Ok, there are worse cases)

I’m not your parent, so your choices are yours, just understand the hazards of doing that. (Mostly, I’d hate to see a lovely Taycan melted)

More practically, that’s going to be a VERY heavy cable that (in my experience) would be used VERY rarely, if ever.

Carry on.
Enjoy the ride!

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Prior post from @louv regarding Timer Profiles to set up the Porsche Mobile Charger to charge to 85% . . .

Use a Departure Timer to set a Maximum "Target" Charge. You can do this on either the Connect App or directly in the car.

Steps: (in the App)
1. Tap on [Timer]
2. Tap [Add a New Timer]
3. Set the time for 4:20am (this time doesn't matter much, change as desired)
4. Turn ON "Repeat", and make sure that every day is checked.
5. Turn ON "Charging"
6. Set your "Target Charge" to 85%.
7. Turn off "Climate Control"
8. Tap [Save]

Now, in the "Departure Timer" screen, it shows a list of all the Timers you've setup. Make sure this one always stays checked.

Make sure "Direct Charging" is turned off.

If you DON'T have any Timers set, then the car will always charge to 100%.

-----------------------
@louv - I got this to finally work remotely from 1000 miles away through the Porsche Connect app. I could not get the profiles to sync when I tried it on my laptop.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
OK, so I caved in and got a 4S of the dealer's lot instead of waiting for my specific build. With a little difficulty, I paired the vehicle to my Porsche ID.

Now I am trying to get the charger working. I did connect to wifi (not great reception, but still recognized). The manual says I am supposed to link the charger to my porsche ID. TO do so, it is supposed to:

Call up the web site specified on the display on the charger in the browser on your device and
enter the user code.
– or –
e Scan the QR code displayed on the charger

Looking at the mobile charger screen there is no web site nor is there a QR code displayes. What am I missing?
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_2087.JPG

Thank you, guys

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Congratulations on the car @svp6, don't forget to add a response to the owner registry https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/official-taycan-owners-registry.726/

I'll let someone with first hand experience answer your charger association question, but I will say that I don't think it will add a whole lot of functionality that is not available through Porsche connect directly with the cars connection. I think most of the charging programmability is done with the vehicle and this can be programmed when you are at other 3rd party chargers.

All the best enjoying your Taycan, October seems so far away....
Sponsored