Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
You're right, it's not scientific. There are two many variables that can't be held constant. But there are scientific tests like EPA and WLPT run on a dynamometer but mostly nobody likes these.

At least people like Tom have a defined methodology which anyone with a Taycan and a GoPro can duplicate, and with more precision. I just wish he provided more details of his tests including screen shots to see what he is actually doing. If someone isn't into this, fair enough, but some are interested.
Yep, and this is how we (owners) drive. On a street under different conditions with uncontrollable variables, including driver input...........heavy foot versus not so much heavy foot. While EPA tries to eliminate all of the variability their results have no bearing on my expectations. Make no mistake the EPA and it's results have their place but I would rather hear and see what I call real world results to help me formulate my expectations and comparisons. Just me being me.
Sponsored

Tino82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This isn’t really a before and after comparison update, the only way for it to mean anything would be to carry out both tests in the same car with the same battery. The max I can get out of my 4S is 220miles how many are there that get more than this? Plenty of course as everyone will be slightly different .
I've had my 4S for around 2 and a half months, 1,800 Miles. Does around 240-250 Miles on spyder wheels at current Scottish summer temperatures, on normal mode.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Yep, and this is how we (owners) drive. On a street under different conditions with uncontrollable variables, including driver input...........heavy foot versus not so much heavy foot. While EPA tries to eliminate all of the variability their results have no bearing on my expectations. Make no mistake the EPA and it's results have their place but I would rather hear and see what I call real world results to help me formulate my expectations and comparisons. Just me being me.
I get a 20% variation in consumption between country road and motorway driving (at 70mph). I would say using technical knowledge to assist driving style and the type of journeys one does makes the biggest difference other than temperature.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You are probably very right-foot happy. I consistently get over 300 miles with my RWD and I think many people who own the RWD would agree that they also consistently get over 300 miles. Also pretty right-foot happy person here btw.
Unlikely, I'm not and my quoted range is 235 miles at best in the summer.

The climate is a big differentiator and hence why folk in LA, CA, FL etc get more miles quoted than we do this side of the pond.

Comparing consumption figures is more meaningful than that reported from the charge display.

My average is 259 miles which has never been shown on the battery display.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
My 2021 4s I would regularly get 270s at 85% charge. My 2022 turbo s I’ve never seen more than 222 at 85%. I have the new software on the new car and drive them the exact same. Not sure if it’s wheels/tires or the massively faster/more powerful car gets dramatically less mileage. Doesn’t really affect me as I have two chargers at home plus several at work so I’m rarely under 40% charge

Deleted member 6348

My 2022 Taycan 4S received the update this past Wednesday. Next week, I am taking it on a 1000 mile road trip that I just did 2 weeks ago. So, that will be my frame of reference.

I’ve got 16k miles on the car. We know each other well. I will let folks know how it goes.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Unlikely, I'm not and my quoted range is 235 miles at best in the summer.

The climate is a big differentiator and hence why folk in LA, CA, FL etc get more miles quoted than we do this side of the pond.

Comparing consumption figures is more meaningful than that reported from the charge display.

My average is 259 miles which has never been shown on the battery display.
I have a '21 RWD PB+ and Mission E. I have recently had some longer drives around town. 20-50 miles each way. I am only charging to 85% and doing the math, I would get 235 miles at 100%. I am in FL and it is hot. I drive with a very heavy left foot, AC on all the time and seat ac, and in Sport Plus.

The best I ever saw was in the winter was 278 at 100% and I think it was because I was driving short, around town distances and nothing really lengthy.

If someone is getting 300 miles in RWD, I have to think they are driving in Normal or Range mode, at the speed limit or just above and maybe not using the AC as much.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Don't think AC cooling is a big battery drain (heater definitely is). Your range for the winter months is envious and I guess a heavy right foot in SP and a hot summer will eat range as you indicate.

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
I suppose I'm not really surprised that people seem to be so hung up on range, but now I've had my car for 18 months / 16k miles I mostly only look at efficiency. In fact pretty much the same as I did when I owned ICE cars, but now it's miles/kWh

I do 98% of my driving in 'Individual' setting where I have the car on its lowest height setting, Normal driving mode, and Adaptive Regen. I also have the A/C set to Eco at 20 Deg C which I've found even in the recent 40 Deg C UK heat wave to work perfectly well enough.

Last summer on my cross-country runs (no motorway) of approx. 140 miles from mid Wales to Bath, the very best I could get was 3.5 m/kWh. However on my last 70 mile trip from Bath to the Porsche Club GB Taycan Register meet at Caffeine and Machine just outside Stratford, in what could be best described as a 'spirited' cross-country Sunday drive due to there being very light traffic in the early morning, I still managed to achieve 3.4 m/kWh at an average speed of 43 mph.

But then on my 88 mile drive home, again across country as there were problems on the motorway route, I managed the previously unattainable 3.8 m/kWh at an average speed of 39 mph. And just to be clear, whilst there was a fair bit of traffic I did use every opportunity possible to overtake so I wasn't exactly trying very hard to maximise efficiency.

The reason for this 8.5%+ increase in efficiency? Surely it must have something to do with the fact that my car recently had the uPdate 🤔

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update IMG_2804

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Don't think AC cooling is a big battery drain (heater definitely is). Your range for the winter months is envious and I guess a heavy right foot in SP and a hot summer will eat range as you indicate.
I knew the heater reduced range, but on a hot summer day, I can hear the AC and fans running while cooling the car in my driveway so I figured it had an impact. Just like Range mode switches to ECO mode (impossible to be comfortable in mid 90's heat and high humidity in FL with AC Eco Mode!) to assist with range.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I knew the heater reduced range, but on a hot summer day, I can hear the AC and fans running while cooling the car in my driveway so I figured it had an impact. Just like Range mode switches to ECO mode (impossible to be comfortable in mid 90's heat and high humidity in FL with AC Eco Mode!) to assist with range.
The heater is probably in the range of 3 to 4 kW, while the Air Con is probably below 1 kW. Makes a hell of a difference. Unless you hve the heat pump option?

Deleted member 6348

For my 2022 4S (Feb build) with Mission E wheels, basically no difference at highway speeds with the update. I typically run 2.7-3.0 depending upon the speed which is usually sustained and well north of 70MPH. With that being said, I have noticed substantially improved efficiency in traffic and regular/B roads.

Charging speed is the same fast as it always has been — no change there.

Navigation is dramatically improved. Much faster. PIRM also feels like a few kinks have been worked out.

Overall, I really like the update and appreciate Porsche doing right by their early adopters. That’s a great thing and bodes well for strong resale values. Understand that if you’re traveling at speed on the highway, don’t expect a revolutionary change in range performance.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update 18D7F26F-D9CC-4213-B0FC-0355213A5934

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
My last two charges at home have been under 260 miles at 100%. That’s a lot worse than last year, when my highest was 284. Similar outside temperatures too. Only done 8,000 miles since March 2021.
Sponsored