Bored of waiting

Muu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok I'll admit I'm being impatient for the Taycan, but having already waited 6 months starting to have buyers remorse creep in.

Interest rates on the rise will mean mortgage cost rising.

Not going to do anything right now, but do wonder if when I get the call to lock in the order I'll actually still wait it. Taycan GTS ST
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ok I'll admit I'm being impatient for the Taycan, but having already waited 6 months starting to have buyers remorse creep in.

Not going to do anything right now, but do wonder if when I get the call to lock in the order I'll actually still wait it. Taycan GTS ST
Is that all? Try 10 months and no allocation. If you don't take it someone else will snap it up. Sit it out and besides the cost of anything and everything is on the rise.

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
If it's mortgage rates you're thinking of then it's not that you're bored of waiting, but financially, the environment has changed. Two different things.

So which is it? Are you really bored, or do inflation and variable mortgage rate change your financial health significantly?

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
From order to delivery was 14 months for me. Caveat I've leased mine through company car scheme so apparently takes longer. Wait it out mate. Take up a new hobby to pass the time! Knitting or hitting little balls with golf bats.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
From order to delivery was 14 months for me. Caveat I've leased mine through company car scheme so apparently takes longer. Wait it out mate. Take up a new hobby to pass the time! Knitting or hitting little balls with golf bats.
GTS ST?

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
I'm guessing if you don't have a lock date then you don't have an allocation. If so then sit tight as you it could be looking at another 6 months especially with the GTS ST. I have recently been quoted Q1 or Q2 2024 if I ordered now. It took 9 months for my CT arrive. This was in 2021 so was pre-war, 12V and cars still had electric steering adjustments.

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag

To be realistic, you are looking at up to 1 year from now at the current run rate for a GTS ST. Hopefully this comes forward when the allocations are confirmed late 2022.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
To be realistic, you are looking at up to 1 year from now at the current run rate for a GTS ST. Hopefully this comes forward when the allocations are confirmed late 2022.
24 months confirmed by various dealers!

Our orders should hopefully come in (as in the allocation) late Q1/Q2, for delivery around Aug-Sep.

I can't imagine Porsche would leave it longer than that. This is not the Ferrari Daytona SP3.

Reactions: B61

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you can afford it, wait.

If you are unsure, then that is your call and we can't really advise.

I was expecting cancellations as we enter a depression/stagflation this winter. Obviously not good, but it does mean for those waiting, they are going to be unexpectedly bumped up the list.

If the global economy really turns to sh*t there will be a firesale of everything. In that scenario, I will be pretending to be Mr Pauper and negotiating down the price of my GTS ST. If demand plummets, so do prices and Porsche - like every business - will be desperate to claw in revenue.

OP
OP

Muu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it's mortgage rates you're thinking of then it's not that you're bored of waiting, but financially, the environment has changed. Two different things.

So which is it? Are you really bored, or do inflation and variable mortgage rate change your financial health significantly?
You're right, it's more complex than just the timeline. Economy is shifting at the moment, who knows what's happening in a years time.

I suppose this is exactly the point of the BoE rates increase to make people second guess big purchases. Doesn't change the fact that the BIK makes it a very nicely offset cost.

However yes the title should read "do i really still want this car". Excitement of getting it has died down. As others say, I've probably got a year to wait anyway, I'm merely a 5k deposit and a ticket in line at a OPC (I'm sure I'll get queue jumped there too with dealer backhanders, and flipped cars with a profit share).

Know I'm being contradictory, just not sure how i feel on it.

OP
OP

Muu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you can afford it, wait.

If you are unsure, then that is your call and we can't really advise.

I was expecting cancellations as we enter a depression/stagflation this winter. Obviously not good, but it does mean for those waiting, they are going to be unexpectedly bumped up the list.

If the global economy really turns to sh*t there will be a firesale of everything. In that scenario, I will be pretending to be Mr Pauper and negotiating down the price of my GTS ST. If demand plummets, so do prices and Porsche - like every business - will be desperate to claw in revenue.
Yeah sage words. As a small business owner it's hard to predict what the markets and therefore income will look like. If the rates rocket then the monthlies for the car that so many live by will jump too.

I suppose the question is "is this £136k EV going to be an unwelcome liability next year" as well as how much actual driving pleasure will I get from it Vs say my other cars.

When the pandemic landed I was offered a GT4 slot, but had just bought a house and already had a GT3. Was tempted tho.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah sage words. As a small business owner it's hard to predict what the markets and therefore income will look like. If the rates rocket then the monthlies for the car that so many live by will jump too.

I suppose the question is "is this £136k EV going to be an unwelcome liability next year" as well as how much actual driving pleasure will I get from it Vs say my other cars.

When the pandemic landed I was offered a GT4 slot, but had just bought a house and already had a GT3. Was tempted tho.
If you can afford through your business to just buy the car outright, then do it.

That is what I am doing.

Rates mean by next year you can add 10% to MSRP for every year you own the car. Absurd.

Tens of thousands in interest payments over a 36 month term.

The absurdity of what is going on means holding cash is a total liability, which is precisely why I ordered a Taycan. I need to dump the company cash as it is being eroded by inflation.

However, that will also flip. The era of cheap money is now over, so if you want that house, or car or anything, financing something will eventually become a tax on the nouveau poor, which will be much of the former middle classes.

It will be cheaper to just buy outright, assuming you have the cash. Hence, cash will soon become king. Again. That will follow a sharp drop in the price of everything where demand will fall off a cliff.

Worst case for people like us, you can just sell the car. Just don't expect elevated second hand prices, assume normal depreciation again.

It also looks like Lizzie will be freezing corp tax at 19%. Announcement next week.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think the 'cost of living' crisis is going to feel like a combination of Covid crisis, Financial Crisis and (most) the Winter of Discontent (1970s/80s).

It is not going to be pretty imo.

I think those with longer term experience (high inflation / interest rates / unemployment / civil unrest etc) will probably have more idea what's in store than younger generations.

On the plus side, it may not last too long 🤞🤞.

When I look at all the likely implications on various sectors of the economy, I see flashing lights all over the place.

My guess is there will be plenty of cancelled orders by next spring.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
also......

As much as I enjoy getting a new car as much as anyone, I think it's important to remember that we are grown ups and not kids on Christmas Eve.

After you have had a new car a few weeks it will then just be your 'new normal'.

Someone else mentioned about getting a new hobby or something if the wait is painful (I suggest kitesurfing 😃).

I was always amazed on other car forums, that members would get a new car and immediately start planning their next one (switching PCP contracts every 18 months!).

I think the Buddhist idea along the lines of 'desire leads to disappointment' has a lot going for it.
Sponsored