Taycan 4S vs GTS

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The difference between the 4S and GTS comes down to three things. Alcantara, a unique wheel option, and GTS emblems. OP, if you like those, go GTS.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
The difference is 28hp, not 68, assuming both have PB+. Less than 5% difference. C&D ran 3.4/3.6 in the 4S rollout/raw. The GTS has clocked 3.55 raw in testing. The difference is going to be immaterial. Basically a dead heat.
German automakers always understate their true HP to further differentiate the higher end models. I wouldn't be surprised that the tuning for the 4S and GTS are actually identical, and they gave the GTS a higher number solely for marketing purposes.

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
Porsche shows the base battery for the 4S on the main page, which is 522. The performance battery is 562. The GTS only offers the performance battery, at 590. The difference between a performance 4S and a GTS is 28 hp. Five percent. On a 5,000 lb vehicle. Totally immaterial and impossible to feel on a butt dyno. And where have you seen an actual 3.2 test time?
Oh ok, strange. I swear I optioned the performance battery when I built my GTS.

car & driver tested the GTS 0-60 at 3.1
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a38381614/2022-porsche-taycan-gts-drive/

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
Been through the same process. Initially intended to get a 4S but after I optioned it with stuff like sport design exterior, ptv, sports sound, big battery, sports chrono, black trim, and other items that were already standard on the GTS, it actually ended up costing more than if I would’ve just spec’d a GTS my way. So I went for a GTS instead. Won’t always work out this way for everyone of course - other people’s builds might work the numbers better as a 4S.
That's why I got the GTS as well.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
German automakers always understate their true HP to further differentiate the higher end models. I wouldn't be surprised that the tuning for the 4S and GTS are actually identical, and they gave the GTS a higher number solely for marketing purposes.
the difference in torque between those two models is much more significant.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
All in all the question will be for which one do they have an allocation because the differences between the 2 are not enough to wait 6+ month more :CWL:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
GTS sedan tested by Performance Drive-
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs GTS GTS times

The standing start times are around 0.6s more than for a Turbo they also tested HOWEVER the rolling 60-110 time is only around 0.2s more (unfortunately they never timed a 4S). I wonder whether the gearshift has been tweaked for the GTS.
(From a YouTube review I posted a few days ago).

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
If you aren't the sole driver- the GTS has automatic electric steering column adjustment, no longer available for the 4S.

marty_n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Carrera S, Volvo V90T8
Country flag
As written in previous posts, depending on the specs you want, GTS may turn out to be cheaper option than 4S. One thing I would also consider is whether you want to go for the GTS interior or not. It looks great but you can not get a heated steering wheel (bummer in some climates ... ) and ventilated / massage seats in the GTS interior version. If those two are a problem, then it may be better to go for 4S in my view. I did choose the GTS interior for mine TST but will surely miss it in winter / summer ...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Forget the raw stats as you'll likely never be in a position to appreciate on a regular basis.

The GTS will be a better drive than the 4S (no question) Of more interest is:

"how that power is delivered, because the GTS uses the full-house electric motor on the rear axle, but a weaker one at the front. What that means, in crude terms, is that it’s effectively much more rear-driven than the Turbo and Turbo S models, with the resulting effect on the car’s handling characteristics. As for the suspension, the GTS has 20 percent stiffer anti-roll bars front and rear, and higher spring rates, while the three-chamber air suspension setup now uses all three chambers only for Normal mode, with Sport and Sport Plus both reverting to a single chamber, unlike the 4S. The optional PDCC active anti-roll bars and rear-wheel steering have also been configured to suit, and the cars we’ve driven had both those options fitted, while the steering takes on a different feel given the changes to the suspension."

In summary, the GTS is the sensible choice....if you can get one (I've been waiting 11 months now for an allocation originally expected / planned for a Nov'22 delivery)!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
When the ST GTS was announced my order for a CT 4S was placed but no sign of an allocation. I had also had matrix lights removed from 4S options and they are standard on GTS.
I also prefer the look of the ST GTS, both the lack of plastic wheelarch protectors and black body trim bits rather than silver so did a spec.

I very much liked the racetex and leather GTS interior but it is only available in black (bored rigid by ubiquitous black interiors in sporty cars and one of the biggest attractions of a Porsche is the availability of non-black interiors on sporty models imo, all others force black on you the instant you select a faster model 😡)

The GTS interior is also only available with on the 18 way seats which are super for sporty driving but too restrictive on long drives IMO plus not available with massage backrests for my wife.

It has a more sporty standard chassis setup, which is probably not as comfortable around here and I can do a sporty setup of my own on a CT 4S using individual settings and it has Sport and Sport+ settings anyway.

It has a more rorty faux sound but since I prefer quiet to faux sound I would never switch it on anyway.

I did a power increment per price increment between all the models (not using launch power which is irrelevant to me) and the GTS has the smallest power increment stepping up the model scale, the price must be mainly for its added extras not motor, it would seem.

Overall the GTS spec didn't really make the car more attractive to me and it was still more expensive so I stuck with the CT 4S order.

If I lived in the north of Scotland, where my wife comes from, the roads are so much better than Oxfordshire I may have gone for the GTS, but here in Oxfordshire the ST will be better 90% of the time IMO.

So, in short, do a "you" spec for each and see if you think the GTS is worth it. It wins on exterior look for me, but not by enough...

Deleted member 6348

If you want the options that are standard with the GTS, the GTS is a better deal. In typical Porsche fashion, the performance difference is marginal and not significant in real world conditions. Basically, the same pros/cons as every other GTS Porsche.

If you are over spec’ing your 4S into GTS price territory, get the GTS. If your 4S is spec’d with reason, the premium for a GTS (along with difficulty of getting an allocation) just isn’t worth it.

Yes, there is a resale premium for all Porsche GTS cars, but many buyers cancel that out by paying more than MSRP — you’ll never recoup what you pay above MSRP.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When the ST GTS was announced my order for a CT 4S was placed but no sign of an allocation. I had also had matrix lights removed from 4S options and they are standard on GTS.
I also prefer the look of the ST GTS, both the lack of plastic wheelarch protectors and black body trim bits rather than silver so did a spec.

I very much liked the racetex and leather GTS interior but it is only available in black (bored rigid by ubiquitous black interiors in sporty cars and one of the biggest attractions of a Porsche is the availability of non-black interiors on sporty models imo, all others force black on you the instant you select a faster model 😡)

The GTS interior is also only available with on the 18 way seats which are super for sporty driving but too restrictive on long drives IMO plus not available with massage backrests for my wife.

It has a more sporty standard chassis setup, which is probably not as comfortable around here and I can do a sporty setup of my own on a CT 4S using individual settings and it has Sport and Sport+ settings anyway.

It has a more rorty faux sound but since I prefer quiet to faux sound I would never switch it on anyway.

I did a power increment per price increment between all the models (not using launch power which is irrelevant to me) and the GTS has the smallest power increment stepping up the model scale, the price must be mainly for its added extras not motor, it would seem.

Overall the GTS spec didn't really make the car more attractive to me and it was still more expensive so I stuck with the CT 4S order.

If I lived in the north of Scotland, where my wife comes from, the roads are so much better than Oxfordshire I may have gone for the GTS, but here in Oxfordshire the ST will be better 90% of the time IMO.

So, in short, do a "you" spec for each and see if you think the GTS is worth it. It wins on exterior look for me, but not by enough...
14-way comfort seats are a zero cost option.

plumandreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4
Country flag
In terms of performance, 0-60 times don't really give the best indication.

I think the 0-125mph (0-200) is the one that shows it best (official figures)

4S - 12.9
GTS - 12.0
Turbo 10.6

So, to say the GTS isn't much faster than a 4S is true. Then again, the Turbo isn't really that much faster than a GTS. But the increments are all worthwhile. I don't think the Turbo feels that much quicker than my 4S. So, I don't expect my GTS (if it ever gets a battery) to feel notably quicker either.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
14-way comfort seats are a zero cost option.
I noticed that when I did the config, but the GTS Racetex and leather trim isn’t available on the 14 way and I ended up with the same seat spec and colour in both CT 4S and ST GTS configurations. One of the reasons it wasn’t worth the extra money to me.
The negatives for me were the wheel styling, no compass available on the sports chrono binnacle, lower and stiffer suspension and non-optional faux sound.

The positives were the exterior styling and matrix lights.
Sponsored