Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I took two 1UP USA van trays, a pair of toggle clamps to latch to the stock D-ring tie-downs, and built a wood frame for bike trays. They oriented opposite of their hitch rack. it wedges the front wheel down against the rear of the cab/front of the bed. I'll run a bungee or strap through these rear wheels. Originally tried using some rivet nuts, but the location I drilled near the cab had a bracket nearby that prevented install of rivet nut. The ribs on the bottom of the bed are also narrower than the base of the bike tray so it didn't support it well from side-to-side wobble.
Boy, If ever the saying "a picture can tell a thousand words" this is it :)! Have any?
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

landshark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thanks again to Willy for the awesome solution.

I was using the Thule crossbar + Yakima Highroad roof rack since last November when I got the car. Not the best solution, but works fine with me. Road bike is light & easy enough, but MTB would be a little harder even on a 25lbs lightweight one. Plus with the weight, bike will sway side to side a bit regardless due to the design. Especially on a somewhat windy day with those deep dish roadie wheels! So driving needs to be a little more careful or slow down a little especially in the turns.

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays IMG_0375.JPG

Moving onto Willy's setup, stability is almost night and day! I no longer need to slow down or worry about the bike on the roof. (Actually, I do worry about people hit the rack from the back... LOL) Since I only need to carry one bike at a time, Willy's stock solution is too long for me whether I mount the rack close to the car or the furthest. So, I have a local shop to cut the tubes just about 2" or so from the first mounting hole (from the car) to make it suit my need better. I was a little hesitated about Willy's setup after I've received because there's still time to spend to set it up every time I go for a ride; however, after a few more use, I've got used to it and honestly it really only take no more than 5 mins to assemble or disassemble it. Starting yesterday, I finally took the rooftop Highroad off the car!

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays ACS_0251.JPG

To those that missed the 1st and 2nd round, you should pray that Willy will run a 3rd round for the forum one day as I now believe (after tried different solutions included front wheel off to stuff the road bike inside the car) this is the best solution for the Taycan CT. That is until Porsche will put an actual 2" hitch on the next gen Taycan (rumored).

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thanks again to Willy for the awesome solution.

Moving onto Willy's setup, stability is almost night and day! I no longer need to slow down or worry about the bike on the roof. (Actually, I do worry about people hit the rack from the back... LOL) Since I only need to carry one bike at a time, Willy's stock solution is too long for me whether I mount the rack close to the car or the furthest. So, I have a local shop to cut the tubes just about 2" or so from the first mounting hole (from the car) to make it suit my need better. I was a little hesitated about Willy's setup after I've received because there's still time to spend to set it up every time I go for a ride; however, after a few more use, I've got used to it and honestly it really only take no more than 5 mins to assemble or disassemble it. Starting yesterday, I finally took the rooftop Highroad off the car!

ACS_0251.JPG

To those that missed the 1st and 2nd round, you should pray that Willy will run a 3rd round for the forum one day as I now believe (after tried different solutions included front wheel off to stuff the road bike inside the car) this is the best solution for the Taycan CT. That is until Porsche will put an actual 2" hitch on the next gen Taycan (rumored).

Too funny! I just received some caps from Amazon and am getting ready to cut mine down. Likely tomorrow as I have access to a cold saw. This solution is awesome and I believe Willie may have a couple of sets left over from the last batch.

landshark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I use a 2” cap from Amazon to cover the tubes. Slightly loose by itself, but I run some tape around the tubes and it fits snugly now.

Made in USA 2" Inch (50mm) Round Rubber Plugs For Holes, Flexible Black Rubber End Caps, Hardware Plugs, Metal Tubing Post Rubber Cover Protective End Caps For Furniture by Prescott Plastics https://a.co/bT4suVW

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I use a 2” cap from Amazon to cover the tubes. Slightly loose by itself, but I run some tape around the tubes and it fits snugly now.
I didn't like the vinyl caps so I sent them back. Found these and the fit perfectly. Made of rigid plastic and they fit nice and snug. Unfortunately, I had to buy 50 of them. LOL

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 1664397922283

landshark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Could I buy a pair from you? :)
I didn't like the vinyl caps so I sent them back. Found these and the fit perfectly. Made of rigid plastic and they fit nice and snug. Unfortunately, I had to buy 50 of them. LOL

1664397922283.png

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
@bsclywilly

OK, at the risk of over-inflating your head Will :)!!, just have to say that, after multiple trips now, this rear bike carrier setup is hands down the best I've ever had - just brilliant. So happy I cancelled the OEM kit.

Wife's latest bike here and of course forgot to take a pic when up on the rack with my Checkpoint but will do later :)

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays IMG_7084

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@bsclywilly

OK, at the risk of over-inflating your head Will :)!!, just have to say that, after multiple trips now, this rear bike carrier setup is hands down the best I've ever had - just brilliant. So happy I cancelled the OEM kit.

Wife's latest bike here and of course forgot to take a pic when up on the rack with my Checkpoint but will do later :)

IMG_7084.jpeg
New bike days are the best days. And matching too if I recall. Nice.

OP
OP
bsclywilly

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
If anyone’s got my bars and is looking to upgrade their 1up tray rack, Kuat just announced a roof mount version of their Piston Pro tray rack. Supposed to be super nice (and pricey) and the t-slot on the bottom looks like it would be directly compatible with our bars. 🤤

Shipping Spring 2023 $449 each.
https://www.kuat.com/product/piston-sr/

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays A9CD6BBE-EE7F-4329-B516-AF72A2B1122C

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 2533BF1D-C416-4E74-975C-64FC0E7263C7

Porsche Taycan Custom Rear Bike Rack Installed with 1up Trays 9DCFD953-B6D8-494A-966F-069999277505