Dealer Messed Up Order With Wrong Specs

Balder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
Ordered my Taycan MY23 in September (was lucky to get an allocation just a week before freeze date) with expected delivery in December. Car has now completed production, which is great. Only issue is that it is not the car I ordered - different color and while I focused my options on performance (bigger battery, PTV, RWS, etc.), the options on the car built are mainly cosmetic.

Spoke with someone at the dealer and they acknowledged that they had my contract but that nevertheless the wrong specs were showing up for them as well. They said they would look into it and get back to me, but I don’t have high hopes.

Anyone experienced something similar?
If so, what did the dealer offer as an alternative?

This has probably already cost me $7.5k in now likely missing out on the tax credit -oh well.
Sponsored

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
Are you sure you were going to qualify for that tax credit? Anything ordered after Aug (maybe 16) has to be assembled in America to qualify this year. Have the dealer give you an allocation with the correct options. It’s crazy bc we had to sign and agree each time we changed our order. Everything was always shown to us and trackable the entire time. We had a build code, did you build it out and give that code to the dealer? I wouldn’t want a car that wasn’t what I ordered. Maybe they mixed up the orders at the dealers and there’s another one that is actually yours?

OP
OP

Balder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
I’m hoping it is a mix up and that my order still exists, but based on the initial call I had, not optimistic (since it sounded like the order number now showing the wrong specs did reflect my order just after I placed it but for some reason was subsequently changed).

Agree it seems crazy how it could happen - went through the same experience as you with having to sign a new contract for any tweak to the build (had a build code that I gave to the dealer but added PTV after that so had to resign).

On the tax credit, I might be wrong but my understanding was that any car taken possession of in 2022 is under the old rules. Aug cutoff (based on when bill was signed) was a grandfathering protection such that anyone that had made a firm commitment (required the 5k or whatever it was) got the old rules irrespectively of when car was delivered (even if in ‘23). Not the biggest deal in the world, mainly annoyed I might be looking at months to get a car instead of taking delivery in 4 weeks, but doesn’t help either…

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you get a print out of your final build with a commission number attached? Every Porsche I’ve ordered, I’ve made sure to receive a formal copy of the final build. For the Taycan, my SA had me sign it as well, so we documented it for both of our protection.

I wonder if two salesmen were trying to sell the same allocation and they left the wrong build in the system. No way I would buy the car.

OP
OP

Balder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
Yes - full build and commission number signed by both parties. Your explanation would make sense. The sales person I dealt with seem to be out on maternity leave, so they are trying to figure out what happened.

Agree, not going take delivery of the car as built now but just getting my deposit back won’t really be a great consolation.

Reactions: B61

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
If you had a 5% deposit on an order placed before 16-Aug-2022, then I would think you would still qualify for the tax credit even if Porsche had to start from scratch with a new production order and the car was delivered in 2023.

OP
OP

Balder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
If you had a 5% deposit on an order placed before 16-Aug-2022, then I would think you would still qualify for the tax credit even if Porsche had to start from scratch with a new production order and the car was delivered in 2023.
Agree - my issue was I didn’t place the order until Sep, so need 2022 delivery to qualify.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Agree - my issue was I didn’t place the order until Sep, so need 2022 delivery to qualify.
If you read the fine print you will find that the only cars that qualify for orders placed after 15-Aug are cars manufactured in the USA, Canada, or Mexico. MSRP or your AGI don't factor in until 2023.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
@fgwinn is correct, you needed to have a binding agreement in place on the date the act went into effect for the old rules to apply. Delivery date does not matter - the provision simply says that for qualifying buyers, vehicles placed in service after the enactment are considered to have been placed in service before the enactment.

With regard to the order, either sounds like a mixup (ie it's not your build), or you were sold an already-frozen allocation. As the others pointed out, the order would have every single option spelled out, with price, and signed by both sides. The freeze date moved around for many here, so what may have appeared "before the freeze" wasn't.

OP
OP

Balder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
@fgwinn is correct, you needed to have a binding agreement in place on the date the act went into effect for the old rules to apply. Delivery date does not matter - the provision simply says that for qualifying buyers, vehicles placed in service after the enactment are considered to have been placed in service before the enactment.

With regard to the order, either sounds like a mixup (ie it's not your build), or you were sold an already-frozen allocation. As the others pointed out, the order would have every single option spelled out, with price, and signed by both sides. The freeze date moved around for many here, so what may have appeared "before the freeze" wasn't.
Got it - guess good news in that this then doesn’t mess up any chance to a tax credit, since seems I never had one (which admittedly makes sense - wouldn’t mind getting it, but shouldn’t be the Gov’s business to subsidize $100k+ cars).

More annoyed about not getting the car - have the order with all options, price and order number signed by both but don’t think that will help much other than to make getting the deposit back easy.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Ordered my Taycan MY23 in September (was lucky to get an allocation just a week before freeze date) with expected delivery in December. Car has now completed production, which is great. Only issue is that it is not the car I ordered - different color and while I focused my options on performance (bigger battery, PTV, RWS, etc.), the options on the car built are mainly cosmetic.

Spoke with someone at the dealer and they acknowledged that they had my contract but that nevertheless the wrong specs were showing up for them as well. They said they would look into it and get back to me, but I don’t have high hopes.

Anyone experienced something similar?
If so, what did the dealer offer as an alternative?

This has probably already cost me $7.5k in now likely missing out on the tax credit -oh well.
Look at it as loss of 2 months of your time - which in the current Taycan build climate many of us are waiting 12 months or longer for our cars - is honestly neither here nor there.

If you want exactly what you ordered, get your deposit back. Don’t use that dealer again. Find another dealer and start again.

If you can accept the deficiencies, cheer that you beaten the majority by a factor of at least three or four-fold in waiting time from order to delivery 😀

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Look at it as loss of 2 months of your time - which in the current Taycan build climate many of us are waiting 12 months or longer for our cars - is honestly neither here nor there.

If you want exactly what you ordered, get your deposit back. Don’t use that dealer again. Find another dealer and start again.

If you can accept the deficiencies, cheer that you beaten the majority by a factor of at least three or four-fold in waiting time from order to delivery 😀
2 thoughts.
If they are still trading above list then take it and flip it. Maybe ask for a discount too.

Don’t change dealer, but make them pull strings etc to get you next one/bumped up the list. And ask for a discount.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I have the same concern approaching the freeze dat on 22 dec so i will also ask for a print out from the Porsche order system signed then emailed to me for me to sign. My motto is don't trust any dealer to get it right.

I"ve already had screen shots emailed to me of my config from the Porsche Order system and checked this against my spec, but the signed copy is a great idea.

For you I agree don't take delivery and get some compensation from the dealer and a priority on their next allocation. You may then get a better spec'd car in the long run.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
shouldn’t be the Gov’s business to subsidize $100k+ cars).
Not to be a smartass, but you're welcome to not take the credit if you have strong public policy feelings about it.

I agree we've gotten to the point where it maybe makes sense to phase it out, but a big part of why you can even buy a Taycan now is because the government has been subsidizing $80k-$100k Teslas for a while now. Don't feel bad taking it.
Sponsored