0% range left

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Taycan absolutely stops at 0% range remaining (or does it go on a couple undefined) and are the last few indicated miles accurate?

Chuck J
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Taycan absolutely stops at 0% range remaining (or does it go on a couple undefined) and are the last few indicated miles accurate?

Chuck J
At 0% you should more or less immediately lose power, it's certainly not like a gas car hitting "empty" and you should regard hitting 0% as the car immediately dying. I'd wager there's a decent chance the car will actually die at 1% or 2%, even, and generally taking it below 5% is going to be a very bad idea.

plumandreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4
Country flag

Chuck J
I'd be willing to bet my 'due shortly' 4S on it that it behaves like most other electric cars. You can drive to zero without any issues. Even at zero there is still charge in reserve. Its not really zero! I've taken one of our company i3's to 5 miles below zero and it still ran fine.

Apparently a model S can do 10-20 miles on zero. I would expect the Taycan to go into reduced a reduced power mode. But it definitely wont just grind to a halt at when it hits 0%!

yankees757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Range Rover, AudiSQ5
Country flag
As the owner of 2 Model S's, I'd highly recommend you not test that. Unlike an ICE vehicle, you can't just throw in a gallon roadside and be off to a gas station. You will need a flatbed tow. On a Tesla the car will give you numerous warnings and start to shut down non-critical driving systems (AC, radio) to conserve power before it tells you pull over you are done. Never seen it happen and never heard of anyone with the guts to try.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And some point it needs to hard shutdown, because really going to zero means a permanently dead battery.

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
Kinda related, did anyone test the portable charger with a portable 110v battery generator?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
As the owner of 2 Model S's, I'd highly recommend you not test that. Unlike an ICE vehicle, you can't just throw in a gallon roadside and be off to a gas station. You will need a flatbed tow. On a Tesla the car will give you numerous warnings and start to shut down non-critical driving systems (AC, radio) to conserve power before it tells you pull over you are done. Never seen it happen and never heard of anyone with the guts to try.
I echo that. Check the Tesla forums for multiple people getting stranded at 0 for just a few reports of those who were able to drive a bit past 0. If Taycan battery behaves the same way as Tesla at depleted state, it will take a while to get any meaningful charge too. So double penalty: either get stranded, or wait for long time for the battery to condition.

I drove the Tesla's multiple times below 5% but never below 2%. The range prediction on the onboard computer was extremely accurate after the first 20-30 mile adjustments

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I'd be willing to bet my 'due shortly' 4S on it that it behaves like most other electric cars. You can drive to zero without any issues. Even at zero there is still charge in reserve. Its not really zero! I've taken one of our company i3's to 5 miles below zero and it still ran fine.

Apparently a model S can do 10-20 miles on zero. I would expect the Taycan to go into reduced a reduced power mode. But it definitely wont just grind to a halt at when it hits 0%!
I had a BMW i3 too and I drove to 0% (strategically drove straight into my garage).
No problem.
It charged right up.
So, instead of guessing and assuming here, try it and you'll know.
I don't need to know as it'll never happen on my trips... ever.
:)

Last edited:

OP
OP
Chuck J

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
It would be hard for me to believe that Porsche would design it so you could go to the point of catastrophically damaging the battery. I'm guessing they will put you on limp mode after 0 for whatever they feel should be an emergency reserve (couple miles) then have a hard stop electronically and make you flatbed it in while there is still enough charge that you don't destroy the battery.

Chuck J

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It would be hard for me to believe that Porsche would design it so you could go to the point of catastrophically damaging the battery.
I completely agree. However, on the list of things I look forward to testing and exploring with this car, this is...(checks list)...number 4,389, so I may get to it in 2040.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I completely agree. However, on the list of things I look forward to testing and exploring with this car, this is...(checks list)...number 4,389, so I may get to it in 2040.
By that time your battery will most likely be at zero whether you like it or not and not rechargeable! ;)

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Say hello to Turtle Mode.

I think in this case it was a low battery SoC (12%) and a very low battery temperature (37°F).

I know at warmer temps, I had to get to much lower SoC numbers before I’d see that icon.

Porsche Taycan 0% range left CB63C481-6DFA-4F59-A832-0DEE273AFB48

Porsche Taycan 0% range left 48FF4DE8-D61B-4AD9-B969-50816FCC70AF

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
Say hello to Turtle Mode.

I think in this case it was a low battery SoC (12%) and a very low battery temperature (37°F).

I know at warmer temps, I had to get to much lower SoC numbers before I’d see that icon.

CB63C481-6DFA-4F59-A832-0DEE273AFB48.jpeg

48FF4DE8-D61B-4AD9-B969-50816FCC70AF.jpeg
That’s so funny the fiat 500e I leased had the same turtle mode...
Porsche Taycan 0% range left img_1685-

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, 911, Panamera, Cayenne, Macan
Country flag
With the Taycan, when you reach 0% in the battery you technically have 7% left. That being said, if you were to use that last remaining bit, you would completely deplete the batteries and would 1)be stranded and 2) You would have to replace the batteries which is a very expensive thing to do since that would not be covered under warranty.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
With the Taycan, when you reach 0% in the battery you technically have 7% left. That being said, if you were to use that last remaining bit, you would completely deplete the batteries and would 1)be stranded and 2) You would have to replace the batteries which is a very expensive thing to do since that would not be covered under warranty.
I agree that the Taycan has a bottom buffer, but I would never believe that the BMS would let you take the battery level down so low as to damage the cells. That is one of the main purposes of a Battery Management System. It will bring car to a stop before any such damage is done.
Sponsored