tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Just so I'm clear, I have to have the Ionity charger as the destination? Am I doing anything wrong, because it was the destination?
Not the destination, but a waypoint on the way to your destination. If its your destination it might not pre-heat – not sure as I've never set an IONITY to be my destination.
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I wonder if that's why I seem to have had a free charge at Folkestone? Still hasn't appeared in my Porsche Charging Service account, and yet the other Ionity charges did immediately. The charge at Folkestone was super quick and worked flawlessly, however.
I have had 2 Ionity charges too that were not billed. One in Calais and one in Switzerland.

Manyana

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
, 718 Spyder, Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Interesting. I'm driving today around 100 km, and I'll need to charge at an Ionity, so I'll try putting my final destination in and letting it schedule a stop at Ionity and see if it pre-conditions the battery.

I knew I wanted a specific Ionity location, so I just put in the destination after searching for chargers. If I understand you correctly, I should have put in my final destination and it let schedule the stop itself at the Ionity along the way, then it would have pre-conditioned the battery?

That's interesting. I'm not sure it even charged. The car was plugged in, but the charger screen just had the welcome screen up. It hadn't even been charging. I'm wondering if he was trying to make it look he was charging, but in reality was trying to get free parking for the night? The chargers are next to a large park and ride car park.
Maybe a Name and Shame time, photo of the car in question and put it on Plug Share!

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Not the destination, but a waypoint on the way to your destination. If its your destination it might not pre-heat – not sure as I've never set an IONITY to be my destination.
Cheers. I tried it again yesterday at the Ionity charger in Blackburn, and this time I navigated to Leeds and manipulated the sat nav so it would recommend charging at the Ionity, and it did indeed pre-heat the battery, although the journey was a bit short which resulted in it not pre-heating to the best temperature.

I have had 2 Ionity charges too that were not billed. One in Calais and one in Switzerland.
Interesting. Thanks. I think I've got the hang of the pre-heating now.

Maybe a Name and Shame time, photo of the car in question and put it on Plug Share!
I'd happily do that! I'll have a look at that app.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
Battery+ or standard?

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Battery+ or standard?
Performance Battery Plus.

I intend to update this thread with my journey from Leeds back to the Netherlands, but I just don't have the time at the moment. I have all the data etc.

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I get a bit of time I'll update this thread on my journey back from Leeds to the Netherlands, including trip data etc., but I have a query that maybe somebody can answer.

I thought I'd solved this issue, but I'm still struggling with how to force the car to choose Ionity chargers. A few days ago I did a trip to Frankfurt and back from Holland. Each way was around 300 km. On the way down, the Charge Planner included a stop to charge at an Ionity along the A3 autobahn, and it pre-heated fine, and I got a quick charge. However, on the way back to Holland, I was seriously distracted while driving having to manipulate the Charge Planner to force a stop at an Ionity. My solution that had worked previously (searching for the Ionity and including it as a stopover) didn't work. This is what happened...

1) I put in my home as the destination.

2) The sat nav planned a route and included one charge stop, quite early in the journey, at somewhere that wasn't an Ionity despite the fact that that there were two Ionity stations just off the autobahn. I checked that the charge at destination was set appropriately (10%) and that it would allow me to get to an Ionity.

3) Before the journey I had saved my chosen Ionity station as a "favourite", so I called up this in the car and chose to add it as a stopover. When I did this method on a previous journey, it worked a treat. The Charge Planner changed the charge stop to my stopover, and the planner showed how many chargers were free and pre-heated. However, in this case, what happened was it showed the Ionity as a stopover, but didn't show it as a charging stop, so didn't show the number of chargers free, and I suspect it wouldn't have pre-heated. It also then added a second stop to charge just after the Ionity, and that was the same Ionity!

4) I played around with settings etc, and eventually it showed just one stopover at my desired Ionity, and showed the numbers of chargers free etc. It pre-heated but not very high (to around 24 degrees), and subsequently my charge peaked at 149 kW. What is also odd is that it told me to charge for 29 minutes so that I would arrive at my final destination (45 km further) with 78% charge, despite the fact that the "destination state of charge" was 10% in the settings. Very odd.

Why the settings don't allow you to be more choosy about where the car stops to charge is beyond me. It would be so easy to add filters beyond the charging speed.

So, my question is, when setting off on a simple journey, and you know exactly which charger you want to use, how do you force the car to stop there? I spent a good 30 minutes distracted by this while trying to drive on a busy autobahn.

@tigerbalm @W1NGE

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doing some road-trip planning at the moment. Is it correct that IONITY near Utrecht (De Knoest) only has only two charging pedestals ?

Edit: typo

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Doing some road-trip planning at the moment. Is it correct that IONITY near Utrecht (De Knoest) only has to charging pedestals ?
Lots of nice Fastned locations in The Netherlands. Off cours at a much higher price than Ionity.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, my question is, when setting off on a simple journey, and you know exactly which charger you want to use, how do you force the car to stop there?
This is my number one bug-bear with the PCM navigation at this stage. Why can't I just mark any arbitrary stop as a charging point and have battery pre-conditioning occur?

Anyways, to answer your questions, the way I achieve what you want is with one subtle difference to your otherwise correct steps/sequence.

When looking for the IONITY stop that you want to charge with, make sure you are doing it via the "fuel filter" option, as such:

Porsche Taycan First Long-Distance Trip In My 3-Week-Old Taycan RWD Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 20.04.31

So just select that fuel filter and then do the same text search as you'd normally do. When the IONITY stop shows up, select it as a waypoint and the car will defo know its a charging stop.

Sometimes (normally) the car knows this from a normal waypoint search, but sometimes – as you've discovered – it doesn't realise the waypoint (even though it says IONITY) is an actual charging station.

I don't know why – but my step above should prevent it happening again for you.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lots of nice Fastned locations in The Netherlands. Off cours at a much higher price than Ionity.
Yeah, and I am defiantly going give one or two a go. A few years ago I bought shares in FastNed – against some advice – that it wasn't a good idea. Ever since, it has been among the best performing stock – consistently 25% to 35% growth on share price.

So as its among my best investments this year – want to give it a go – even if it is a little pricier.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The charger density of the Netherlands looks nuts compared to surrounding countries – I guess matching population. Though looks a little weaker up near Groningen – ironically where I'm aiming for!

Porsche Taycan First Long-Distance Trip In My 3-Week-Old Taycan RWD Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 20.10.34

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Yeah, and I am defiantly going give one or two a go. A few years ago I bought shares in FastNed – against some advice – that it wasn't a good idea. Ever since, it has been among the best performing stock – consistently 25% to 35% growth on share price.

So as its among my best investments this year – want to give it a go – even if it is a little pricier.
It actually dubble the price. Plug and charge works really well and fast. Screen is better readable and the charger it self looks better. And it is covered by a roof and has nice wooden banks you can sit on outside.

good investment I think. Lots of new locations and a better coverage than Ionity.
Sponsored