gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I installed a Porsche Wall Charger Connect some time ago in anticipation of the arrival of my new Taycan. The car was delivered on 7 May. Also like a number of other folks I had the dreaded certificate not valid error. Nothing I did would clear the error. I'm happy to report that they finally released a new version of the software. I had to manually download it and install it from one of my computers, but now the error is cleared.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Wall Charger Connect 1652133864699
Sponsored

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (ordered)
Country flag
I just installed my PWCC and am also having the same "certificate not valid" error.

How did you manage to manually download the new software and install it?

OP
OP
gnop1950

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I just installed my PWCC and am also having the same "certificate not valid" error.

How did you manage to manually download the new software and install it?
I put the steps I used in the other thread. Let me know if they work out for you.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
@gnop1950 Congratualtions on the new Taycan and PWCC.

IMHO ‘dreaded’ is a bit of an exaggeration if the unit is still functional, per anecdotes on the other thread. People shouldn’t panic if they see this error on the PWCC. Annoying, yes. Catastrophe, no.

I experienced this same error when I first fired up my PWCC after installation in November 2021. In my case it resolved itself with a power cycle at the circuit breaker IIRC. At the time, I immediately checked for an update, but my unit had apparently shipped with what was and still is the latest version for the PWCC.

I assume there is only a single hardware version of the PWCC to date. My unit’s software version is at v6022 as of today.

cbx313

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S/Cayenne GTS Coupe/Macan S/911 Carrera S
Country flag
@gnop1950 Congratualtions on the new Taycan and PWCC.

IMHO ‘dreaded’ is a bit of an exaggeration if the unit is still functional, per anecdotes on the other thread. People shouldn’t panic if they see this error on the PWCC. Annoying, yes. Catastrophe, no.

I experienced this same error when I first fired up my PWCC after installation in November 2021. In my case it resolved itself with a power cycle at the circuit breaker IIRC. At the time, I immediately checked for an update, but my unit had apparently shipped with what was and still is the latest version for the PWCC.

I assume there is only a single hardware version of the PWCC to date. My unit’s software version is at v6022 as of today.
I'm going to find out sometime this week if this is still the case (I'm attempting to get a list of all the latest software versions for everything we have to deal with at Connect and Charging). I will post with some updated info if possible.

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, BMW iX M60, Porsche Taycan Turbo 4S
Country flag
I installed a Porsche Wall Charger Connect. Works great on my Taycan Turbo S. I just got a BMW iX and have tried everything to get the PWCC to charge it. I get error messages on the BMW. I set the PWCC output to 48 amp, which should be the max. No go. Tried 20 amp. No go. Tried my Porsche Mobile Charger into a lowly 110v. Also, wouldn't work. Anyone else get the Porsche chargers to work on non-Porsche cars? I tried on my Tesla X when I had that, and it wouldn't work on that car either.

Something really strange and quirky about the Porsche chargers. Don't understand why they won't work on other cars...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I installed a Porsche Wall Charger Connect. Works great on my Taycan Turbo S. I just got a BMW iX and have tried everything to get the PWCC to charge it. I get error messages on the BMW. I set the PWCC output to 48 amp, which should be the max. No go. Tried 20 amp. No go. Tried my Porsche Mobile Charger into a lowly 110v. Also, wouldn't work. Anyone else get the Porsche chargers to work on non-Porsche cars? I tried on my Tesla X when I had that, and it wouldn't work on that car either.

Something really strange and quirky about the Porsche chargers. Don't understand why they won't work on other cars...
this matches my experience as well with other EV's - I've moved on from Porsche as an EVSE vendor for North America - there are lots and lots of high quality alternatives that are excellent and more compatible…

just one example - there are others…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...pany…-tesla-j-1772-wall-charger-review.13163/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I take no pleasure in this - and it is disappointing - I had high hopes for the PWCC - but this makes it a full sweep for all known Porsche EVSE's - the PMC+/PMCC/PWCC are expensive, flaky, faulty, unreliable, and incompatible - that's a complete fail across the board for Porsche in the North American residential charging environment. WOW!

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I take no pleasure in this - and it is disappointing - I had high hopes for the PWCC - but this makes it a full sweep for all known Porsche EVSE's - the PMC+/PMCC/PWCC are expensive, flaky, faulty, unreliable, and incompatible - that's a complete fail across the board for Porsche in the North American residential charging environment. WOW!
Yes, it's a bust. Now I have to go find another charger that will work on both cars, pull the PWCC down, and install another. Thousands of $ in PWCC and electrician cost and a huge waste of time.

Would like one capable of up to 80a to take advantage of the Porsche 19.2kw, but it will need to also work on 48a output for other EVs. Curious what third party you ended up with?

Thanks!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, it's a bust. Now I have to go find another charger that will work on both cars, pull the PWCC down, and install another. Thousands of $ in PWCC and electrician cost and a huge waste of time.

Would like one capable of up to 80a to take advantage of the Porsche 19.2kw, but it will need to also work on 48a output for other EVs. Curious what third party you ended up with?

Thanks!
ClipperCreek makes the most reliable 100 amp 19.2 kW EVSE - and it will certainly work with other EV's and the 48 amp downgrade should be handled automatically when a "lesser" EV plugs in

I would also consider Grizzly, JuiceBox, WallBox, Tesla Gen3 J-1772 - but for 100/80 amp EV chargers ClipperCreek is your best high quality bet - bullet proof reliable and compatible.

Swapping the PWCC for the ClipperCreek should be able to reuse 95% of the install for the PWCC - should only take a couple of hours and you'll be all set.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Thanks!
I feel badly that you had to take the bullet on this - but good news is you're not stuck and only the investment in the PWCC is at risk (if you can't get a return/refund) - the rest of your install should be 100% re-usable and you'll be good going forward, and the non-Porsche alternatives are far less dramatic and offer great reliability and compatibility, robustness and performance. Once you have a new EVSE installed it should "just" work and you'll be quite happy…this problem is frustrating but easily solved…

Porsche is great at so many things and I personally did not buy my Taycan for their EVSE, it's a great car, and even better now that I charge it nightly with my new EVSE's and I've packed my PMCC's away to be returned along with the vehicle when I trade them in or sell them…

I hope you find what you're looking forward and move past this quickly.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
80 amp ClipperCreek (64 amp charge rate - 15.36 kW) - https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/HCS-80-64-amp-charging-station

100 amp CipperCreek (80 amp charge rate - 19.2 kw) - https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/cs-100-80-amp-ev-charging-station

personally I'd get the 80 amp version for the following reasons
  1. clippercreek chargers are not going to win beauty awards , but the 80 amp version looks better in my opinion than their 100 amp model
  2. the charge rate difference between 15.36 and 19.2 honestly won't matter most of the time
  3. the 80 amp version can be "paired" with a 2nd clipper creek in the future via share2 feature it supports - you can have two EV chargers share the same breaker for multiple EV charging in the future - on the same dedicated 80 amp circuit - this is multi-EV charging happiness - two EV's charging one dedicated 80 amp circuit
  4. 1/2 the cost of the 100 amp one
  5. swappiung a 100 amp breaker for an 80 amp breaker is trival - and you can use the same wire for 80 amp version that was used for the PWCC…so it's still a straight "swap"
but it's your call.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

This problem must be specific to the US?? Is there something in the specification for the communication between car and EVSE? Quite surprising problem.

I have the PMCC installed and it charges my Taycan, the Tesla model3, a ZOE at 22 kW, and also BMW iX and i4! Taycan and the Tesla are charged on a regular basis and the others have been working when friends have visited. All performed without any problems.

My installation is 3 phase and the difference perhaps is that the US is single phase??

It must be something Porsche NA must be able to address?

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This problem must be specific to the US?? Is there something in the specification for the communication between car and EVSE? Quite surprising problem.

I have the PMCC installed and it charges my Taycan, the Tesla model3, a ZOE at 22 kW, and also BMW iX and i4! Taycan and the Tesla are charged on a regular basis and the others have been working when friends have visited. All performed without any problems.

My installation is 3 phase and the difference perhaps is that the US is single phase??

Great info, thank you! It is a strange issue indeed. I've reached out to Porsche NA to see if they know any reason why the PWCC won't charge other brands. It really should.

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Well I heard back from Porsche NA. "We're not allowed to advise using the Porsche Charger on any other vehicle". Kind of a non-response. Wouldn't say anything else.

So BUYER BEWARE. If you want this thing to work on any other electrical vehicle.... it should be thought of as proprietary. Not sure why it works in other areas; frustrating. Probably something specific they are doing in the communication that won't allow connection to other cars.

I thought Tesla was proprietary....but I can charge the Porsche with a Tesla charger.....
Sponsored