Why does my Porsche charger top out at 8 amps?

rcs1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Targa GTS
Country flag
So, I have the standard Porsche mobile connect charger, which is plugged in to a standard 110 volt wall outlet. I am allowed to select a charging rate up to 8 amps, but no higher.

I'm confused by this, as I'm pretty sure that the standard maximum amperage draw is around 25 - for the electric kettle in my kitchen. Now, I know you probably wouldn't want to draw more than about a 20% discount to this 25 on a sustained basis - i.e. around 15 to 20 amps, but this doesn't answer the question about why my charger is limited to 8 amps.

Does anyone know?

Thanks, Robert
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For 110V circuits, car manufacturers tend to limit the continuous draw to 8A over fear of starting fires. Theoretically they could draw 12A continuous from a standard of 16A, as code requires no more than 80% continuous draw. Lots of old wiring can't really handle 8+ hours of 12A @ 110V draw without getting dangerously hot.

The Bolt has a setting that lets you up that to 12A if you know you wont start a fire in the walls of your garage, but Porsche rightfully figures that owners should just install a 240V dedicated circuit for charging.

You aren't getting 25A @ 110V from a standard socket in the US for any non-instantaneous amount of time.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Miwa is correct.

110V outlets should really only be used in the case of an emergency.

OP
OP
rcs1000

rcs1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Targa GTS
Country flag
Thanks guys - I have a proper outlet being installed next week, so this is a (very) short term problem

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Thanks guys - I have a proper outlet being installed next week, so this is a (very) short term problem
How long is it taking at 8A to 80%, and 100% if you tried topping out?