tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It actually dubble the price. Plug and charge works really well and fast. Screen is better readable and the charger it self looks better. And it is covered by a roof and has nice wooden banks you can sit on outside.
Yes, I once stumbled upon a small station while queueing for a busy IONITY on the autobahn between Munich and Stuttgart.

I only noticed it after I eventually got a spot at IONITY and walked around the area while charging. I would have gone here in a heartbeat if I knew about it and of course they don't show up on the PCM – at least at the time.

Porsche Taycan First Long-Distance Trip In My 3-Week-Old Taycan RWD IMG_3438

Porsche Taycan First Long-Distance Trip In My 3-Week-Old Taycan RWD IMG_3431

It was tucked away behind that OMV station in the background:

Porsche Taycan First Long-Distance Trip In My 3-Week-Old Taycan RWD IMG_3425

I wish IrishGov would take our public charging network contract off of our useless national grid operator (ESB) and give it to these guys!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
When looking for the IONITY stop that you want to charge with, make sure you are doing it via the "fuel filter" option, as such:

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 20.04.31.png

So just select that fuel filter and then do the same text search as you'd normally do. When the IONITY stop shows up, select it as a waypoint and the car will defo know its a charging stop.

Sometimes (normally) the car knows this from a normal waypoint search, but sometimes – as you've discovered – it doesn't realise the waypoint (even though it says IONITY) is an actual charging station.

I don't know why – but my step above should prevent it happening again for you.
Cheers, Damo. Your solution may be how I eventually solved the problem and forced the Ionity. I'm unaware of how I did it, so that could be how I (inadvertently) did it.

This Thursday evening I'm doing a 750 km trip in one go from the southern Netherlands to Leeds. My aim is to break it up into three 250 km legs, so that will require two charge stops. There are two Ionity stations perfectly positioned to achieve this. The first one at the Belgian/French border at Veurne, and the second at Cambridge services just off the A14.

Thanks for the explanation and for taking the time to post a screenshot.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This Thursday evening I'm doing a 750 km trip in one go from the southern Netherlands to Leeds. My aim is to break it up into three 250 km legs, so that will require two charge stops. There are two Ionity stations perfectly positioned to achieve this. The first one at the Belgian/French border at Veurne, and the second at Cambridge services just off the A14.
Sounds like a plan! Let me know how IONITY Veurne is – its on my plan for next road-trip – and I wasn't sure about it – as it seems to be in an industrial area rather then the usual motorway services station.

I haven't been to IONITY Cambridge – looks like a solid staton – and large by UK/Ireland standards (6 pedestals?)

It's not brilliantly located for your spacing – and its not cheaper – but routing via Gridserve Braintree (half way down this trip report entry: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-to-the-alps-18-day-road-trip-2022.12402/post-187440) is worth checking out – a little taste of the future.

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like a plan! Let me know how IONITY Veurne is – its on my plan for next road-trip – and I wasn't sure about it – as it seems to be in an industrial area rather then the usual motorway services station.

I haven't been to IONITY Cambridge – looks like a solid staton – and large by UK/Ireland standards (6 pedestals?)
I've actually already used both on my trip from Leeds to Holland a few weeks ago.

Cambridge is six pedestals and was full around 1700 on a Wednesday evening. Luckily one stall became free about one minute after I parked up. Plug & Charge worked perfectly, and I got a very quick charge, peaking at around 250 kW, even though all charge points were in use the whole time. In total I charged 54.85 kW in 17 minutes, with an average power of 193.6 kW. It's on a relatively large and new services with lots of the usual facilities. I think this site is quite a busy location based on previous visits to the services in an ICE. Once I ordered my Taycan in April, I often would pop and look at an Ionity if I was passing anyway.

I'm quite familiar with Veurne as I have also popped and had a look a few times as I was passing in the last six months, just because I thought it would be a frequent stop in the Taycan on my journeys to the UK once it was delivered. They've only just expanded it from four to six chargers. There must be a reason for doing that but I've never seen anybody using it. Granted, when I'm passing it's usually late at night. It's a few minutes from the motorway, which is a bit annoying, and yes, it's on an industrial estate. When we parked up two weeks ago, there were no facilities open, but I believe during more socialable hours, there's a truckers' cafe that you can use nearby. We did feel a bit vulnerable at midnight in such a quiet area, but there are quite a lot of trucks parked up for the night, which is probably why we saw a police patrol vehicle pass us at least three times while we were charging. It felt more secure then. We got a fast charge also, and added 65.95 kWh in 25 minutes, which meant an average power of 158.3 kW.

It's not brilliantly located for your spacing – and its not cheaper – but routing via Gridserve Braintree (half way down this trip report entry: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-to-the-alps-18-day-road-trip-2022.12402/post-187440) is worth checking out – a little taste of the future.
Thanks. I'm aware of it. I'd like to give it a try one day.

If there's going to be any issues for my plan, it's roadworks closing the A1 northbound. It's constantly closed at night. If that's the case then my usual diversion in an ICE is to continue round the M25 and take the M1 (assuming that's also not closed northbound on the same evening, which isn't unheard of). If I do that then I'll use Ionity Milton Keynes.

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 4S cab, CT 4S Gentian Blue
Country flag
Not the destination, but a waypoint on the way to your destination. If its your destination it might not pre-heat – not sure as I've never set an IONITY to be my destination.
I did yesterday and it didn't pre-heat. After 45 min drive, the battery was at 5 C only and was charging at 45 kW...

Last edited:

Guido

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've never paid attention to the pre-heating so far, I think the Ionity chargers I chose on the way must have coincided with the chargers that the PCM system chose (since I've always been able to charge fast so the battery must have had a good temperature).

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is my number one bug-bear with the PCM navigation at this stage. Why can't I just mark any arbitrary stop as a charging point and have battery pre-conditioning occur?

Anyways, to answer your questions, the way I achieve what you want is with one subtle difference to your otherwise correct steps/sequence.

When looking for the IONITY stop that you want to charge with, make sure you are doing it via the "fuel filter" option, as such:

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 20.04.31.png

So just select that fuel filter and then do the same text search as you'd normally do. When the IONITY stop shows up, select it as a waypoint and the car will defo know its a charging stop.

Sometimes (normally) the car knows this from a normal waypoint search, but sometimes – as you've discovered – it doesn't realise the waypoint (even though it says IONITY) is an actual charging station.

I don't know why – but my step above should prevent it happening again for you.

So, I managed to get to and from work today after the battery fault warning light came on last night (see this thread... https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/electrical-system-error.9341/post-212028 )

I've just parked the Taycan on the drive and decided to put in the Channel Tunnel as a destination and to see where it plans to stop us for a charge when we depart in a few hours, and to try your method of selecting my preferred charging stop. As expected, it didn't choose an Ionity. So, rather than add the stopover via my favourites, I instead searched via the "fuel filter" option, and selected "along the route". The Ionity at Veurne did not appear, even though other chargers in Veurne did. I then put "Ionity" in the search box. Still no result. Then I decided to use my stored favourite of "Ionity Veurne", and it included the stopover, but not as a charging point. It then added the ACTUAL Ionity charging point as a stopover just after the stopover I'd just added. The final thing I did was search "at destination", even though Veurne is some distance from Calais, and I scrolled down the list. It showed the Ionity at Veurne this time, and I selected it. It then included it as a proper charging stop.

There is no logic to how it works, and it really should be easier than this.

I cancelled the nav and I'll try again when we set off, knowing that I may have to search by "destination" rather than "along the route", even though Veurne is 70 km from my destination, and it's only 1 km off my route. Utter madness.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
So, I managed to get to and from work today after the battery fault warning light came on last night (see this thread... https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/electrical-system-error.9341/post-212028 )

I've just parked the Taycan on the drive and decided to put in the Channel Tunnel as a destination and to see where it plans to stop us for a charge when we depart in a few hours, and to try your method of selecting my preferred charging stop. As expected, it didn't choose an Ionity. So, rather than add the stopover via my favourites, I instead searched via the "fuel filter" option, and selected "along the route". The Ionity at Veurne did not appear, even though other chargers in Veurne did. I then put "Ionity" in the search box. Still no result. Then I decided to use my stored favourite of "Ionity Veurne", and it included the stopover, but not as a charging point. It then added the ACTUAL Ionity charging point as a stopover just after the stopover I'd just added. The final thing I did was search "at destination", even though Veurne is some distance from Calais, and I scrolled down the list. It showed the Ionity at Veurne this time, and I selected it. It then included it as a proper charging stop.

There is no logic to how it works, and it really should be easier than this.

I cancelled the nav and I'll try again when we set off, knowing that I may have to search by "destination" rather than "along the route", even though Veurne is 70 km from my destination, and it's only 1 km off my route. Utter madness.
What usually works for me is after I seleting the charging station as destination, I select chargers on destinations with the three dots and than select the exact same charger but now it recognizes it as a charger. I store those as preferences.

for my trip to the Alps next week I chose some chargers O think I want to use. Stored them as pref on my phone and then did the same as above and stored those again. I entered them in my phone because it is easier than PCM but I delete those again not to have doubles. Like this I have a list of my 6 useful chargers in my preferences with the number and free chargers displayed.

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What usually works for me is after I seleting the charging station as destination, I select chargers on destinations with the three dots and than select the exact same charger but now it recognizes it as a charger. I store those as preferences.

for my trip to the Alps next week I chose some chargers O think I want to use. Stored them as pref on my phone and then did the same as above and stored those again. I entered them in my phone because it is easier than PCM but I delete those again not to have doubles. Like this I have a list of my 6 useful chargers in my preferences with the number and free chargers displayed.

I think I understand what you mean, but it'll probably make more sense when I do it in practice. I'll bear this method in mind. Cheers.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I think I understand what you mean, but it'll probably make more sense when I do it in practice. I'll bear this method in mind. Cheers.
I’m not sure if this was covered yet but want to check anyway. I believe that if you use the Google search within the nav the car will never recognize any of the select destinations as charging stations. The Google search is great for finding destinations not contained within the built in nav but can’t be used to precondition for charging destinations IIRC. Not accusing you of doing this, just bringing it up as a consideration.

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m not sure if this was covered yet but want to check anyway. I believe that if you use the Google search within the nav the car will never recognize any of the select destinations as charging stations. The Google search is great for finding destinations not contained within the built in nav but can’t be used to precondition for charging destinations IIRC. Not accusing you of doing this, just bringing it up as a consideration.
Thanks. I don’t believe I’ve been using the Google search, but I’ll be sure to check next time I use the PCM.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i hear you @Throb !

The entire premise from Porsche on this seems to be one of innocence. Drivers should just put in their destination and the car "figures everything out".

However, as we all know – thats not how the real world works. Often we want to control the stops – mostly because the PCM has no clue about what makes for a good charging choice. For example, it can easily choose a single 300 kW charger over a 6-stall IONITY station with no sense of why IONITY is a more reliable choice.

What also drives me nuts – is that if you only put in your destination and leave the PCM choose the stops – it will keep adjusting them as the trip progresses.

That might have been have seemed like a good idea "back in the office" when this was being developed – but "out on the road" it drives me nuts.

Especially as it will make some very dubious choices.

The next stage of PCM navigation needs to move closer to ABRP and ChargeMap's latest apps – ability to control preferred charging networks and criteria.
Sponsored