My first long trip was a route I do reasonably often.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I copied this from my post on tyres…
Seems like it should be here.

I have never kept meticulous records of car costs so don’t have a comparison from other cars.
I did my first long trip yesterday.

It was before regen has clicked in so not expecting much efficiency and thats what I got!

The first half of the journey was motorway at legal speed and 49kWh per 100 miles ~ 1.9 miles /kWh
The second half in traffic and fog the overall crept up to 2.2 mi/kWh average. 226 miles in 5:12 driving, average 45 mph. A bit worse than I had hoped but I had planned for the worst. Temperature between -1.5 and 3 C.

My first charge away from home started badly when my RFID card didn’t work. It was at a Porsche centre so they checked all the possibilities for me and stayed baffled so were in touch with Porsche GB and ordered me a new card.

Whatever they did this morning the RFID card number showed up I’m My Porsche, so whatever they did worked.
They were super helpful but I ended up spending over an hour there.

Anyway the car is great in every way.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My first charge away from home started badly when my RFID card didn’t work. It was at a Porsche centre
Isn't it baffling that Porsche cannot even get charging right at their own centers? I guess it's not just in North America.
so they checked all the possibilities for me and stayed baffled so were in touch with Porsche GB and ordered me a new card.
When I read it the first time, I missed the "d" at the end of that sentence. :CWL:

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Isn't it baffling that Porsche cannot even get charging right at their own centers?
To be fair the charging itself went perfectly, the problem was that Porsche GB had sent me the RFID card but hadn’t linked it to my Porsche account. It is linked today so should work fine in future.

The dealership actually could not have been more helpful, they were great and it was a nice place to wait. They also seem to have resolved a problem which would maybe have persisted if I hadn’t stopped there. I would then have been stuck if I was relying on Ionity at a charging station without personal help.
I wasn’t in a hurry, deliberately.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be fair the charging went perfectly, the problem was that Porsche GB had sent me the RFID card but hadn’t linked it to my Porsche account. It is linked today so should work fine in future.

The dealership actually could not have been more helpful, they were great and it was a nice place to wait. They also seem to have resolved a problem which would maybe have persisted if I hadn’t stopped there. I would then have been stuck if I was relying on Ionity at a charging station without personal help.
I wasn’t in a hurry, deliberately.
I decided to pay $2,500 to ship my Taycan from the dealer to my house rather than drive it (~5,000km), primarily because I am very weary of the Porsche charging issues. I realize the issues with Taycan are mostly authorization related, i.e. if you actually manage to start a session you're good, but that still leaves me potentially stranded. I did my first cost-to-coast round trip in a Tesla in 2016, had absolutely no problems nor range anxiety. I don't think Porsche is there yet, even though it's 6 year later. :( I am considering doing a much shorter trip (~1000km) direct from the dealer before shipping it to my home, to break the Taycan in, but I am still unsure the Taycan will make it given even though there are EA chargers available all along the way.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I copied this from my post on tyres…
Seems like it should be here.

I have never kept meticulous records of car costs so don’t have a comparison from other cars.
I did my first long trip yesterday.

It was before regen has clicked in so not expecting much efficiency and thats what I got!

The first half of the journey was motorway at legal speed and 49kWh per 100 miles ~ 1.9 miles /kWh
The second half in traffic and fog the overall crept up to 2.2 mi/kWh average. 226 miles in 5:12 driving, average 45 mph. A bit worse than I had hoped but I had planned for the worst. Temperature between -1.5 and 3 C.

My first charge away from home started badly when my RFID card didn’t work. It was at a Porsche centre so they checked all the possibilities for me and stayed baffled so were in touch with Porsche GB and ordered me a new card.

Whatever they did this morning the RFID card number showed up I’m My Porsche, so whatever they did worked.
They were super helpful but I ended up spending over an hour there.

Anyway the car is great in every way.
That's nae bad range lune and will improve as you add some miles as you know.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am chuffed really - pretty well what I expected in every way, or better.
Sheenagh loved the massage seats.
Frozen solid this morning and very dirty.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I decided to pay $2,500 to ship my Taycan from the dealer to my house rather than drive it (~5,000km), primarily because I am very weary of the Porsche charging issues. I realize the issues with Taycan are mostly authorization related, i.e. if you actually manage to start a session you're good, but that still leaves me potentially stranded. I did my first cost-to-coast round trip in a Tesla in 2016, had absolutely no problems nor range anxiety. I don't think Porsche is there yet, even though it's 6 year later. :( I am considering doing a much shorter trip (~1000km) direct from the dealer before shipping it to my home, to break the Taycan in, but I am still unsure the Taycan will make it given even though there are EA chargers available all along the way.
I recently made a west coast trip - it was not "tesla easy" but it was ok - and while EA stations are unreliable - there is depth in the CCS charging network on the west coast with non-EA alternatives - EVGo/Chargepoint/other's exist and are available - the only issue is they are typically 50 kW so they are slower.

I'd make the trip (and have made the trip). The Taycan is still a wonderful vehicle to drive and mostly you'll be able to charge it - but careful planning is required unlike the Tesla these days.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am considering doing a much shorter trip (~1000km) direct from the dealer before shipping it to my home, to break the Taycan in, but I am still unsure the Taycan will make it given even though there are EA chargers available all along the way.
You are an EV veteran. Go for it!

Reactions: B61

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are an EV veteran. Go for it!
I probably will, but even EV veterans can get stranded and if I do it I will be on a tight schedule (will have to make the flight back home). Reconsidering shipping it to PECLA instead, and driving from there - less time constraint as I would be driving it home. That said, SA told me PECLA delivery can delay my order by up to 3 months, so unsure.

• Wow
Reactions: B61

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Frozen solid this morning and very dirty.
My son this morning: “Dad, why does your windscreen look like it isn’t frozen”
Me: “Because the car is set to pre-heat on a timer. Electric cars can do that”
Him: “When can I get an electric car?” - he is 18
Me: “We will buy you a scraper!”

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I left with 100% charge and stopped twice to charge en route so I would have charge on arrival, the charging opportunities on Anglesey are sparse, to say the least, and none near where I am staying.
I arrived with 72% charge and a predicted 152 miles left.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
How has your range been recently @f1eng ? I’ve managed to actually get some small trips done recently and got 2.7 mi/kWh. Not amazing amazing but temps still 9°C and it’s a Turbo on winter tyres, so pretty happy with that

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How has your range been recently @f1eng ? I’ve managed to actually get some small trips done recently and got 2.7 mi/kWh. Not amazing amazing but temps still 9°C and it’s a Turbo on winter tyres, so pretty happy with that
That sounds good.
I am only doing short jourmneys at the moment and it varies massively. The initial consumption if the battery is cold is ginormous.
We went to watch Avatar 2 yesterday at a cinema 16 miles away. I preheated before we went, took the same route both ways but obviously had the battery cooling for over 3 hours whilst we were in the cinema.
Bothe were an average speed of 30mph but going was reported as 2.9 and returning as 2.4. A bigger difference than I would expect.
Short trips through town and up to the Ridgeway for dog walks are reported at 1.5.

A mixed country road and dual carriageway journey with just charged battery gave 2.6 at an average speed of 47mph.

Very varied and good on a longer run but clearly short journeys in winter have awful efficiency.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
That sounds good.
I am only doing short jourmneys at the moment and it varies massively. The initial consumption if the battery is cold is ginormous.
We went to watch Avatar 2 yesterday at a cinema 16 miles away. I preheated before we went, took the same route both ways but obviously had the battery cooling for over 3 hours whilst we were in the cinema.
Bothe were an average speed of 30mph but going was reported as 2.9 and returning as 2.4. A bigger difference than I would expect.
Short trips through town and up to the Ridgeway for dog walks are reported at 1.5.

A mixed country road and dual carriageway journey with just charged battery gave 2.6 at an average speed of 47mph.

Very varied and good on a longer run but clearly short journeys in winter have awful efficiency.
Yes very similar. I’ve not done many miles yet, but seems I am getting some regen based on the colours in the car. Many have said we won’t do until 1000 miles so not sure 🤷🏼

Porsche Taycan My first long trip was a route I do reasonably often. 19058D77-9223-4703-8330-845B1B20467F

Porsche Taycan My first long trip was a route I do reasonably often. F20544F5-5F85-497F-858C-D577C6E6267B

Last edited: