GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Today, I connected the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect connector into the left DC port, the status light turned RED and the battery indicator in the car also turned RED. The manual says, "An error occurred when charging the high-voltage battery"; which is obvious and frankly, useless. The question is, what is the problem, and how do I solve it? The charger was installed last week by an electrician on a dedicated 240V 50 Amp circuit. I've plugged this charger into the left charger port before and have had no problem charging. I double-checked to make sure that the plug was securely in place.

As a workaround, I unplugged the connecter and reconnected it on the right side of the car. It appears to be working properly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today, I connected the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect connector into the left DC port, the status light turned RED and the battery indicator in the car also turned RED. The manual says, "An error occurred when charging the high-voltage battery"; which is obvious and frankly, useless. The question is, what is the problem, and how do I solve it? The charger was installed last week by an electrician on a dedicated 240V 50 Amp circuit. I've plugged this charger into the left charger port before and have had no problem charging. I double-checked to make sure that the plug was securely in place.

As a workaround, I unplugged the connecter and reconnected it on the right side of the car. It appears to be working properly.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Have you tried using the left port again to see if it was a transient or permanent fault?

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you, but the problems seem unrelated

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you tried using the left port again to see if it was a transient or permanent fault?
Yes, I went back to the left port after about 30 minutes; the status light turned RED again. I then unplugged the cable and moved it to the right side of the car. The car charged normally overnight.

The problem appears to be on the left charging port. Any insights as to the meaning of the RED error light would be appreciated.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Yes, I went back to the left port after about 30 minutes; the status light turned RED again. I then unplugged the cable and moved it to the right side of the car. The car charged normally overnight.

The problem appears to be on the left charging port. Any insights as to the meaning of the RED error light would be appreciated.
You’ll need to get it booked in pal so they can check the logs. A red light is just a failed charge. Doesn’t help you but the logs will have some more info.

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’ll need to get it booked in pal so they can check the logs. A red light is just a failed charge. Doesn’t help you but the logs will have some more info.
Thank you for the response. I was beginning to realize that a drive to the Porsche Service Center was in order. Since I can charge from the right side, I may wait for a few other initial bugs to show up and have them look at all of them on the same visit.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Thank you for the response. I was beginning to realize that a drive to the Porsche Service Center was in order. Since I can charge from the right side, I may wait for a few other initial bugs to show up and have them look at all of them on the same visit.
A pain for sure, sounds like the port is faulty though. At least it’s not the charger from AC to D.C. I’d think that fault would show on both sides.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

It could be a lot of things. Could be that the communication between the charger and the car has failed for some reason. I have had the same when I tried a Tesla mobile charger ( not the Tesla Wall Connector). I got that red light consistently with it, but my Porsche charger works just fine.

taycan4sl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the same issue, but with AC port only. Can you share the resolution?

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the same issue, but with AC port only. Can you share the resolution?
Happy to share resolution. It took three weeks at Porsche service to trouble shoot and get the correct parts in stock to replace those that they found problematic. They replaced many parts on the left side charging system but I don't know which. Seems like Taycan parts are in very limited. Oh, while doing the repair they cracked my windshield. Of course it was replaced but that took more time, too.

That service took place, I believe in June. In July I had a PCM failure which also took about 3 weeks at Porsche. First i2 weeks to.determine that the PCM module failed. Then they needed to order a replacement PCM from Germany as there were none in the US! Amazingly, it took 7 or 8 days to arrive and another day or two to install and test. . (I wonder if Porsche has ever heard about this new thing called Fed Ex?).

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I expected first year issues, but, I didn't expect that Porsche did not properly stock spare parts inventory in the US to provide timely service when a problem did occur. Very frustrating, particularly for a $150k car.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Happy to share resolution. It took three weeks at Porsche service to trouble shoot and get the correct parts in stock to replace those that they found problematic. They replaced many parts on the left side charging system but I don't know which. Seems like Taycan parts are in very limited. Oh, while doing the repair they cracked my windshield. Of course it was replaced but that took more time, too.

That service took place, I believe in June. In July I had a PCM failure which also took about 3 weeks at Porsche. First i2 weeks to.determine that the PCM module failed. Then they needed to order a replacement PCM from Germany as there were none in the US! Amazingly, it took 7 or 8 days to arrive and another day or two to install and test. . (I wonder if Porsche has ever heard about this new thing called Fed Ex?).

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I expected first year issues, but, I didn't expect that Porsche did not properly stock spare parts inventory in the US to provide timely service when a problem did occur. Very frustrating, particularly for a $150k car.
So almost 2 months in service - did they provide a loaner during this time or any other compensation... on this forum it seems that the dealers tend to have many different responses to these long term service issues...

troublemaker

First Name
Faizan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan RWD
Country flag
Hello i have similar issue with a twist, I'm using a normal wall outlet with the standard charger that came with my RWD taycan. Now the issue is sometimes when i plug the charger the red light start blinking even before connecting to the car... i tried all the following scenarios :
1) Plug out the charger and usually on three or 4 tries it works
2) With the red light blinking i plugged the charger to the car and all of a sudden it started charging and the light turned green started charging but after 22 minutes or so it stopped charging again
3) Tried charging in both location (L+R) still no luck !!

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello, i have a similar issue with a twist, I'm using a normal wall outlet with the standard charger that came with my RWD taycan. Now the issue is sometimes when i plug the charger the red light start blinking even before connecting to the car... i tried all the following scenarios :
1) Plug out the charger and usually on three or 4 tries it works
2) With the red light blinking i plugged the charger to the car and all of a sudden it started charging and the light turned green started charging but after 22 minutes or so it stopped charging again
3) Tried charging in both locations (L+R) still no luck !!
Congratulations on getting your new RWD Taycan. I'm sure that you will love it once you can charge it properly. I have two suggestions:

1. Don't screw around and waste more time; just take it in to the dealer and have them solve the problem.
  2. While your car is at the shop; hire an electrician to install a 240V outlet in your garage. It cost me $600 to have a dedicated circuit and socket installed and it was the best $600 I have spent on the Taycan.
Sponsored