Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Notably, the base I drove today lacked PASM, PTV, sports chrono, and RWS. I’d surely tick the boxes for those options. The fact that the car drove as well as it did without those attributes speaks to its innate quality. It did have 21s, though, which likely helped with grip (the car was still, extremely comfortable, even on steel suspension).
Great write up and amazing that you came back to the Taycan and found the right model for YOU and YOUR needs/budget etc. That speaks volumes alone!

I wanted to point out to you the paragraph above where you are ticking option boxes for options you didn't test. Just a warning since you loved the one you drove so much you could end up ruining some of the handling and feedback and experience that you had in the demo car.

Just like you found what you like, I will never option PDCC in any Porsche. I like my cars to have some roll in them to communicate with me as I approach the limit. Artificially making the car flat might be faster on a track but it's not as rewarding to drive and can cause the car to snap (more speaking to 911s here) at the limit because you don't feel it coming. My Turbo is optioned up like a Turbo S just without the faster launch control mode(obviously) and with the Turbo S I am forced to take PDCC which I don't want in the first place.

I know you didn't list PDCC option, and maybe the options you did list won't change what you loved about your experience with the RWD base, but you should try to experience those options on a base model test drive if possible to make sure it doesn't turn into something you didn't like about the Turbo (besides the explosive power and lack of build up in power).

Either way keep us posted and I am sure the write up of your personal Taycan will be wonderful based on your OP!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Irish Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche GT3; 2022 Porsche Panamera GTS
Country flag
Great write up and amazing that you came back to the Taycan and found the right model for YOU and YOUR needs/budget etc. That speaks volumes alone!

I wanted to point out to you the paragraph above where you are ticking option boxes for options you didn't test. Just a warning since you loved the one you drove so much you could end up ruining some of the handling and feedback and experience that you had in the demo car.

Just like you found what you like, I will never option PDCC in any Porsche. I like my cars to have some roll in them to communicate with me as I approach the limit. Artificially making the car flat might be faster on a track but it's not as rewarding to drive and can cause the car to snap (more speaking to 911s here) at the limit because you don't feel it coming. My Turbo is optioned up like a Turbo S just without the faster launch control mode(obviously) and with the Turbo S I am forced to take PDCC which I don't want in the first place.

I know you didn't list PDCC option, and maybe the options you did list won't change what you loved about your experience with the RWD base, but you should try to experience those options on a base model test drive if possible to make sure it doesn't turn into something you didn't like about the Turbo (besides the explosive power and lack of build up in power).

Either way keep us posted and I am sure the write up of your personal Taycan will be wonderful based on your OP!
Thank you, and good advice!

PDCC is one of the more divisive options. I’m not sure you need it in a Taycan given that the weight is so low down. I’d be surprised if there’s much body roll. Different story with SUVs, etc. I did spec it on the Panamera GTS and am glad I did - the car really dives into corners in sports/+ mode. But PDCC can’t be everything - you can’t even get it on a GT3! Nor, for that matter, can you get it on the Taycan RWD, so that likely won’t be a box that I tick. :)

As for other options, I’m leaning toward getting air suspension, not least because it unlocks RWS and PTV. It’ll be a brilliant car either way, but - going full power on an on-ramp - it’d be better not to have an open diff on a rear-wheel drive car. But we shall see. It’s awfully tempting to minimize options and keep MSRP close to or even below 100K!

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Hi, all - I drove the base Taycan today, and was blown away. I didn’t expect to be. If anyone worries whether it’s enough car, fear not: It’s exceptional.

The Taycan impressed me in ways that I didn’t expect, despite having read (and watched) a host of reviews. I suspect that the base is the one to have. And I say that having driven both the Taycan Turbo and 4S in years past.

Some relevant background: I’ve been into Porsche since I was a kid. I’m lucky to have a 992 GT3 manual, as well as a 2022 Panamera GTS. I love cars, but have had mixed reactions to EVs thus far. They offer attributes with which everyone on this forum is familiar: immediate punch, unparalleled silence, and no emissions. Fabulous stuff. But for those who love driving, the EV revolution is not all upside. It comes with real drawbacks.

Sure, the sound - everyone brings that up. Nothing in EV land will ever touch a naturally aspirated engine shrieking to redline. But that’s not what’s bothered me. The source of EV fun is also its limitation - it’s the binary nature of power delivery. Immediate, full torque from zero RPM is brilliant fun, but it’s a limited experience. Stay in it - with the throttle pinned - and there’s nothing more to be found. The sensation is of constant torque. There isn’t anything to chase. The power, sound, and feel of the car don’t change as it does with a good ICE engine. (True, the ubiquity of turbocharging has robbed most ICE cars of character in much the same way - one ends up riding a wave of constant torque.) But, on the the long trip to redline with an excellent ICE engine, you encounter a broad spectrum of unique experiences - different pickup, response, power, torque, sound, and vibration at each part of the tach. It’s organic, and it makes you want to chase the top end. Speeding tickets ensue.

By contrast, many EVs are on/off. Perhaps like a powerboat vs sailing, the speed is fun and immediate, but it comes up short in larger experience. There’s not much left to explore and learn after a fun-filled initiation. And, to that, I’d add weight. Down low as it may be in an EV, it’s a real problem. I drove a Taycan Turbo two years ago, after jumping right out of my 2018 Carrera T (a car that I planned to keep forever until a GT3 suddenly materialized after a long wait on a list). Although having literally twice the power of the Carrera - and despite reacting to full throttle on corner exit in a way that can only be compared to a detonation - it was nowhere near as much fun. It was heavy and felt it every time you turned the wheel. To be clear, I loved the TT. It was a technological marvel, handled magnificently for a car weighing over 5,000 pounds, and was explosively fast in a way that I’d never experienced before. But it was crazy expensive and - marketing claims aside - no sports car. I previously drove the 4S, too. It was fast and fun, but again uninteresting relative to an excellent ICE car.

Enter the base Taycan. Despite my reservations, I’ve found it hard to stop thinking about Porsche’s first EV. The car is simply gorgeous. And if you enjoy the arc of a good back road, no other EV brand offers an experience like the Taycan. The handling is a world beyond that of any other EV, and the speed of a Plaid and the like offers little in compensation (for me). And despite the drawbacks of an EV as a unitary solution, there’s no denying that it provides the perfect commuter car.

Being in DC, with gridlock on the daily commute, a 4-liter engine is far from the ideal solution. I average 11 mpg on a good day in either the GT3 or GTS to and from work. They’re not the right tool for the job. I want to keep both, the former for obvious reasons and the latter for the many long-distance drives with kids and for the love of a charismatic V8. The more I’ve thought about it, though, the more sense an EV makes for daily use.

Taycans cost a pretty penny, though, and I’ve struggled to justify putting down serious coin on one of the fancier models given my recent car purchases. But maybe a lightly optioned base?

I didn’t have high hopes. 263 ft-lbs of torque in a car heavier than my Panamera GTS? 5.1 seconds to 60 compared to 3.2? There’s more to fun than speed, but I set my expectations accordingly.

But then I drove the Taycan. Wow! It’s swift and effortless off the line, though far from explosive. But stay in it, and around 30 mph the power grows and then surges. It hauls ass from 40 to highway speeds - properly fast. The ramp up in power isn’t sudden - it blends in. I can’t believe I’m writing this, but the power delivery reminded me of a naturally aspirated engine. In this car, the base, you don’t hit the accelerator and get pinned to the seat. Rather, there’s an experience to be found - the power starts low and then builds, builds, builds. Suddenly you’re flying. And when you want “right now” passing power, you absolutely get it at the real-life cruising speeds of 30-70. This car is so much more interesting than other EVs I’ve driven!

Porsche clearly software-limited the power on the base Taycan to protect the 4S and above. But in doing so they’ve actually made this a better car (IMO). It’s way faster than the 5.1 spec would suggest. It makes that leisurely time only because it’s held back through 30. Once unleashed, it’s seriously quick. No doubt the 4S is faster 30-50 (it’s a lot faster 0-30), but from memory the base felt similar once it was unbridled.

Then there’s the rest of the car, which is just spectacular. The brakes were much better than the 2020 4S I’d previously driven. Maybe they’ve improved them? On the older models, the brakes felt flimsy. On this one, they bit hard and felt natural (no, this didn’t have PCCBs or ceramic-coated option).

So the brakes are fabulous and the power ample once in the zone. Couple that with a turn, and the Taycan comes into its own. You can put full power down - deep into a curve - and the car dances. This is pure Porsche. There’s delicacy here. The Taycan is a joy to build a rhythm with as you fly down the road.

Porsche had done a magnificent job here. Perhaps too good. It isn’t just a good Taycan - for some people, it may be the best. Lightly optioned, it’s a steal.

I’m going to buy one. The only lingering question is whether the GTS - which I have not driven - has some magic that’s worth the significant jump in cost. But picking up a lightly optioned base for ~ 105 feels like one hell of a deal. The only thing that bothers me is the base stereo. You can’t option Bose right now, and spending 7 grand on Burmester seems inconsistent with the base ethos. But we shall see. I may ask this forum for input on specific options in the near future.

Notably, the base I drove today lacked PASM, PTV, sports chrono, and RWS. I’d surely tick the boxes for those options. The fact that the car drove as well as it did without those attributes speaks to its innate quality. It did have 21s, though, which likely helped with grip (the car was still, extremely comfortable, even on steel suspension).

I hope this is obvious, but I don’t mean to impugn anyone lucky enough to own other models in the range. The 4S and Turbo models are spectacular, and I can see why one couldn’t look past the lack of immediate punch at low speeds in the base. But I’m incredulous at how good the regular Taycan is.

Final thought: I’m at a loss to understand how people compare Taycans to Panameras. They’re different cars, with distinct use cases. Dimensions notwithstanding, the Taycan is significantly more restrictive inside, particularly in the back, and has less trunk space. I’m 6’1, and could barely squeeze in behind the driver’s seat with it set for me. To be sure, the Taycan brings a hefty dose of practicality, but the Panamera feels more spacious and luxurious. And it’s definitely the better long-distance cruiser. I’m going to keep my GTS. But the Taycan brings its own exceptional benefits, and I think it’ll be a brilliant stablemate to the old-fashioned V8 model. :)

Thank you, all, for the tremendous knowledge and entertainment in this forum. And specially warm congratulations to those of you with a Taycan in the garage. I hope to join that fortunate group soon!
I totally agree regarding the RWD performance in the 30-50mph range. In city driving that's exactly where you'd want the power to be, IMO. I use that power in that range all the time to catch a light or pass a sluggish vehicle once a lane opens up.

Bobrae99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I'm a bit confused by your post (but enjoyed it). The first several paragraphs compare your prior experience with Taycan 4S and Turbo and saying that once you get past the acceleration, there isn't much emotion in an EV compared to the ICE vehicles you have (I agree with that by the way). But you seem to do an about face with the base Taycan 4. Isn't it just as emotionless?

I test drove a Taycan Cross Turismo 4 last autumn and what impressed me was: (1) ride quality/handling, (2) interior serenity and (3) instantaneous acceleration. Maybe its my age (65) but I just don't see the need for the Turbo models. In the Canadian market the base configuration is the 4S.

When I build a Taycan Cross Turismo 4S on the Canadian configurator, for about $15,000 more I can get a Taycan Sport Turismo GTS. I'm wondering what the handling is like compared to the 4 or 4S. That is where the emotion comes into it for me.

I test drove every variant of Cayenne in 2021 before settling on a GTS model. It was just the best driver of all of the variants (the Turbo GT wasn't released at that time). I recently had a base Cayenne for week while my GTS was in for a repair and was reminded that the GTS is tuned for the "driver" and was the right choice for me. Is the Taycan GTS the same story? If so, a base model would be a "miss" for me. My dealer has a Taycan GTS (non Tourismo) in stock and I'll be driving it in the next week or so and comparing the handling to the base cars. If it is a noticeable improvement over the 4S, I'd try and get an allocation for a Sport Tourismo GTS.

At this stage of development, I think all of the Taycans are very expensive for the range they offer, but if they meet one's commuting needs a wonderful car to drive. I'd look at a lease though because in 2 years when the refresh arrives, if it has improved range (likely), current owners will really get hit on trade value. We are in early days for EVs and early adopters can expect resale values to plummet. :)

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
For what it is worth, just for reference, as I have read some of the comments re speed RWD vs 4s etc...
I did some testing today with my 4s CT.
Herewith the dragy results.
Definitely the car is faster than is claimed by Porsche, that is no news.

To me the 4s CT delivers...albeit it does't feel so fast to me. This is because my second car is a stage 3 RS5 B9 coupe (nearly 700hp crank on abt 1700kg), which will dwarf these numbers.

Then again, to me the Taycan is a comfy car that I use to go comfortably from A to B, in a quick enough manner with plenty of space in the trunk.
Happy with it.
Porsche Taycan The Base Taycan is a gem... drove it and was blown away Screenshot_20230118_132412_dragy

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Imagine somebody finds a software hack to unlock the initial power reduction of the base model. And an easy button to always enable 'launch mode'.
That would be nice....
Is it software limited or the fact that the base has a single motor 402hp and the 4S has two motors with 523/563 hp. The base weighs less and RWD helps with driving dynamics.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Is it software limited or the fact that the base has a single motor 402hp and the 4S has two motors with 523/563 hp. The base weighs less and RWD helps with driving dynamics.
Most RWD are specced with PB+, in which case they have 469 hp instead of 402hp, but have the extra weight obviously.

OP
OP

Irish Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche GT3; 2022 Porsche Panamera GTS
Country flag
I'm a bit confused by your post (but enjoyed it). The first several paragraphs compare your prior experience with Taycan 4S and Turbo and saying that once you get past the acceleration, there isn't much emotion in an EV compared to the ICE vehicles you have (I agree with that by the way). But you seem to do an about face with the base Taycan 4. Isn't it just as emotionless?

I test drove a Taycan Cross Turismo 4 last autumn and what impressed me was: (1) ride quality/handling, (2) interior serenity and (3) instantaneous acceleration. Maybe its my age (65) but I just don't see the need for the Turbo models. In the Canadian market the base configuration is the 4S.

When I build a Taycan Cross Turismo 4S on the Canadian configurator, for about $15,000 more I can get a Taycan Sport Turismo GTS. I'm wondering what the handling is like compared to the 4 or 4S. That is where the emotion comes into it for me.

I test drove every variant of Cayenne in 2021 before settling on a GTS model. It was just the best driver of all of the variants (the Turbo GT wasn't released at that time). I recently had a base Cayenne for week while my GTS was in for a repair and was reminded that the GTS is tuned for the "driver" and was the right choice for me. Is the Taycan GTS the same story? If so, a base model would be a "miss" for me. My dealer has a Taycan GTS (non Tourismo) in stock and I'll be driving it in the next week or so and comparing the handling to the base cars. If it is a noticeable improvement over the 4S, I'd try and get an allocation for a Sport Tourismo GTS.

At this stage of development, I think all of the Taycans are very expensive for the range they offer, but if they meet one's commuting needs a wonderful car to drive. I'd look at a lease though because in 2 years when the refresh arrives, if it has improved range (likely), current owners will really get hit on trade value. We are in early days for EVs and early adopters can expect resale values to plummet. :)
Thanks for the terrific question - perhaps it's just a detail, but I drove the Taycan (RWD) not the Taycan 4.

The power delivery was altogether different than the 4S and Turbo that I'd driven previously. In the base Taycan, from a stop or low speed, pinning the accelerator induces only a mild response. The car picks up speed gently at first, but once you hit 30 or so the power starts to ramp up. By 40+, you're flying. The way the power is blended in reminded me of an NA ICE car - e.g., if you pin it at low RPM, you get little torque, but the power starts to ramp up and up as you head up the tach. It's not exactly the same with the Taycan, of course, but it does have a real ramp-up in push as you stay in it. That was the critical difference. Many see that dynamic (delayed shove) as a negative, I'm sure, but not me. It was more interesting - it rewards you for keeping your foot pinned. The more powerful models are fabulous, of course, but they hit you with everything right away. The base doesn't do that. This was the biggest surprise to me, and it's why I enjoyed driving the RWD so much. Rolling out of a corner, I'd put the foot down - you get instant response, but also the sensation of progressive, expanding power. Super fun!

Last edited:

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I am more than satisfied with my RWD base and can't think of anything to add to the OP's piece. I often wonder if I (and perhaps the OP) would feel as strongly about it, if it was the only sports car they could drive.
Having a GT3 only makes the Taycan RWD even more satisfying. There is no "speed itch" to scratch.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
But it costs more than 99% of the cars on the road. I think the RWD is a fantastic car, but $100k is a lot to spend on a 5.1s car IMO. But that’s why it’s great that there are options, as we all have different perspectives.
Even though I’m sure I can live with the base Taycan, there’s a part of me that would think I paid to much for a car that SHOULD be faster than cars from 1990 from a dead stop, but that’s just me 🤷‍♂️

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Even though I’m sure I can live with the base Taycan, there’s a part of me that would think I paid to much for a car that SHOULD be faster than cars from 1990 from a dead stop, but that’s just me 🤷‍♂️
I think it depends on perspective and what you value. For me as a daily driver and a fast car already in the garage, I didn’t need something that blew me away launching from a stop, but I did want something that had great ride quality combined with great handling (for a sedan of this size), as well as low NVH and high build quality

I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much for how my Taycan is actually used - even in my 458 the number of times I’m able to actually go full throttle or launch is pretty limited, and that’s on weekend drives for fun.

Last edited:

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think it depends on perspective and what you value. For me as a daily driver and a fast car already in the garage, I didn’t need something that blew me away launching from a stop, but I did want something that had great ride quality combined with great handling (for a sedan of this size), as well as low NVH and high build quality
I get it , just part of me thinks it should have the extra oomph for a 6 figure car , some people it clearly don’t mind …🙋‍♂️

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I get it , just part of me thinks it should have the extra oomph for a 6 figure car , some people it clearly don’t mind …🙋‍♂️
Yep, and for that reason it’s great that they do offer the higher trims for those that do mind and want the extra power
Sponsored