Taycan - the "reverse" one-pedal driving. Comparison with Tesla model 3 performance after 1 month.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
So today I took my wife's Tesla for a spin. With the COVID situation my wife is working from home, so the model 3 performance is getting pretty sad in the garage - that and it is not pugged in (the Taycan has now the 14-50 socket), so I went to the local supercharger for a quick top-up.

It was an interesting experience - I disliked one pedal driving on the Tesla almost as much as I disliked the lack of one pedal driving when I first got the Taycan. Such a nuisance to have to keep your foot just so in order for the car not to slow down, not to accelerate. And then it hit me what is the most amazing part about the Taycan drivetrain - coasting is surreal. When you lift the foot off the accelerator, the car seems like going forever unimpeded - almost like floating on the road. With all other ICE cars, lifting your foot of the gas gets some engine brake, so you do not maintain speed for too long. In the Taycan there is no braking when you coast. The closest you can come to that sensation is putting your ICE car in neutral.

I am thinking this is the reverse of one-pedal driving concept, and now that I got used to it I find it more appealing than the other EV implementations.

What I still loved about the Tesla was the sprint (yes, as much as I regret to admit it, the model 3 performance is faster than the Taycan 4S). Model 3 feels less connected to the road, but is very spry. Also at low speed, the car is virtually silent - which is not the case in the Taycan, all thanks to the new regulations in both EU and US for EV to produce a sound. And it uses its own internet connection for Spotify (Porsche, are you hearing that).

Overall, the Taycan is more beautiful, luxurious, and more comfortable on long roads, the model 3 performance faster, better user interface and obviously just about half the price.
Sponsored

GDHazy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
So today I took my wife's Tesla for a spin. With the COVID situation my wife is working from home, so the model 3 performance is getting pretty sad in the garage - that and it is not pugged in (the Taycan has now the 14-50 socket), so I went to the local supercharger for a quick top-up.

It was an interesting experience - I disliked one pedal driving on the Tesla almost as much as I disliked the lack of one pedal driving when I first got the Taycan. Such a nuisance to have to keep your foot just so in order for the car not to slow down, not to accelerate. And then it hit me what is the most amazing part about the Taycan drivetrain - coasting is surreal. When you lift the foot off the accelerator, the car seems like going forever unimpeded - almost like floating on the road. With all other ICE cars, lifting your foot of the gas gets some engine brake, so you do not maintain speed for too long. In the Taycan there is no braking when you coast. The closest you can come to that sensation is putting your ICE car in neutral.

I am thinking this is the reverse of one-pedal driving concept, and now that I got used to it I find it more appealing than the other EV implementations.

What I still loved about the Tesla was the sprint (yes, as much as I regret to admit it, the model 3 performance is faster than the Taycan 4S). Model 3 feels less connected to the road, but is very spry. Also at low speed, the car is virtually silent - which is not the case in the Taycan, all thanks to the new regulations in both EU and US for EV to produce a sound. And it uses its own internet connection for Spotify (Porsche, are you hearing that).

Overall, the Taycan is more beautiful, luxurious, and more comfortable on long roads, the model 3 performance faster, better user interface and obviously just about half the price.
I wish people would stop saying a model 3 is faster. In a 0-60 drag yeah, but on a track or bendy Road... not a chance in hell, so many people just focus on 0-60, and the reality is no one does drags apart from bloody YouTube!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wish people would stop saying a model 3 is...
not just faster, but cheaper, better looking, more fart apps, whatever.

I know comparisons are inevitable, but they really don't need to be all about Tesla...all the Time...nonstop. There are other cars out there too.

Just because Tesla is also an EV, does not mean that it always has to be compared to the Taycan. For instance, I was thinking of a MB E63 before the Taycan became real.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Model 3 faster? Only in 0-100kph type of scenarios. If you look at 0-200kph acceleration the Model 3 Performance sits at 14.1 sec and the 4S with the larger battery is 12.9 sec & the small battery version at 13.3 sec.

So if you look at for example highway overtake speed, the 4S will be a lot faster than the Model 3. As based on these numbers their 100-200 acceleration is vastly in favor of the 4S. The 100-160 should also be in favor of the 4S although I don't really have data on this.

And yes, as discussed here, on most tracks I'd imagine 4S would beat the Model 3.

That being said, I haven't driven 1-pedal EVs so can't really compare, but I do love the coasting with Taycan. I'm a coasting type driver with ICE traditionally so having this magic ability to hyper coast is very much to my liking.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I wish people would stop saying a model 3 is faster. In a 0-60 drag yeah, but on a track or bendy Road... not a chance in hell, so many people just focus on 0-60, and the reality is no one does drags apart from bloody YouTube!
Why worry about a model 3 ? The 4S will leave many of the ICE sports car wanting to go to a tuner!

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is similar to my experience owning an iPace. For a while I thought one pedal driving was the best thing ever.. then I turned it off and realized I preferred not using regen.

I'm very glad the Taycan operates the way it does with regen/recup. Coupled with the excellent efficiency numbers I've seen, I think they nailed it.

OP
OP
svp6

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I'm driving the 4S, that should tell you which car I prefer. But as much as I love this car, it does not make it faster than the model 3 performance. I don't track my car, so the only comparison I have is the "seat of the pants" sensation. Drive them back to back, you will see what I mean. The difference is not large, but notable - as it should given the performance numbers (model 3 is 3.2 s to 60, 4S is 3.8s). I still prefer the being pampered sensation that my Taycan provides.

On the Tesla forums there is a lot of hate for the Taycan, here a little anxiety about Tesla - but I must say this is a much more civil forum. My point is that Tesla should learn from Porsche and Porsche from Tesla - all to the benefit of EV enthusiast like all of us.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

And then it hit me what is the most amazing part about the Taycan drivetrain - coasting is surreal. When you lift the foot off the accelerator, the car seems like going forever unimpeded - almost like floating on the road.
I think you are very right, of course. But I also think that the coasting mode of operation - no regeneration unless you brake or you deliberately switch the car to regeneration mode - is the natural mode for efficiency-oriented driving. As long as batteries weight 500 or 750kgs, efficiency must be key part of the overall game. And coasting with regeneration-during-braking (i.e. on demand) should be more efficient than regeneration-sort-of-always and subsequent reaccelleration.

Cheers,
Henrik

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had a Bolt EV now for over 2 years. I used L mode (heavy regen on lifting accelerator) the first 1.5years. with only 2 wheel this caused uneven wear on the tires and generally gave my passengers a less smooth experience.

I have now switched cold turkey to D mode for several reasons, address above and get ready for the behavior of the Taycan. I think 2 peddles gives the best control.

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
I have had a Bolt EV now for over 2 years. I used L mode (heavy regen on lifting accelerator) the first 1.5years. with only 2 wheel this caused uneven wear on the tires and generally gave my passengers a less smooth experience.

I have now switched cold turkey to D mode for several reasons, address above and get ready for the behavior of the Taycan. I think 2 peddles gives the best control.
How many miles on the bolt when you noticed the uneven wear. I only have 5k on mine. I like the L mode, but now I’m wondering?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
How many miles on the bolt when you noticed the uneven wear. I only have 5k on mine. I like the L mode, but now I’m wondering?
I had to have tires replaced at 21k miles about 1.5yr. I recommend frequent rotations like 5k.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had to have tires replaced at 21k miles about 1.5yr. I recommend frequent rotations like 5k.
Michelin did help with a discount, they were quite good, also used America's Tire btw. I wasn't aware that OEM tires have no milage warranty technically.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I don’t understand why all electric cars just don’t let you set a driver mode that you either “coast” or “drive” one pedal and a regen setting. The Leaf has it, the Bolt has it, I-Pace allows a version of it (but not full regen with one pedal, just high and low with high being only 30% of the amazing amount of regen it has).

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t understand why all electric cars just don’t let you set a driver mode that you either “coast” or “drive” one pedal and a regen setting. The Leaf has it, the Bolt has it, I-Pace allows a version of it (but not full regen with one pedal, just high and low with high being only 30% of the amazing amount of regen it has).
Well as I said I was a believer. And I know Leaf started this then Tesla took it as they didn't want to solve the blended breaking complexity. But why do we want it, would you want a fossil car that applied the break pads when you let up the accelerator like a Disney Land kiddy car ride?
I really am now embracing the fact that the car does no sudden change when releasing the accelerator.

Now all that being said I know people like what they like, maybe Porsche will eventually add a PCM setting to change regen level on accelerator release.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Because the Taycan has 265kW regen which is equivalent of hitting a regular break quite hard! If you put all this on one pedal and accidentally slip off - happens to me sometimes - you will produce accidents. Different tech level, requires different solutions.
Sponsored