Electricfy America charging tips

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
So did a few tests, the EA closest place is 50 miles from my house, went site seeing and got the charge down to 82 miles, and started using the charging America app on a 350 kw charger, got 120 kw charging rate the battery was at 85 degrees, set the app to stop charging at 30 minutes, it did that but only charged to 76 percent, ending at 76 kw charging speed. Then choose another charger and used the Porsche connect app, both apps worked great, the battery was now at 96 degrees, started charging at the same 76 kw charging rate, so next time going to race around in sport mode and try at the 5 percent as recommended and that should make the battery hotter. So.. anyone ever started charging at 5 perecent and what kw rate did you get, can anyone give me some tips to make charging optimal.

Porsche Taycan Electricfy America charging tips IMG_1319
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
So did a few tests, the EA closest place is 50 miles from my house, went site seeing and got the charge down to 82 miles, and started using the charging America app on a 350 kw charger, got 120 kw charging rate the battery was at 85 degrees, set the app to stop charging at 30 minutes, it did that but only charged to 76 percent, ending at 76 kw charging speed. Then choose another charger and used the Porsche connect app, both apps worked great, the battery was now at 96 degrees, started charging at the same 76 kw charging rate, so next time going to race around in sport mode and try at the 5 percent as recommended and that should make the battery hotter. So.. anyone ever started charging at 5 perecent and what kw rate did you get, can anyone give me some tips to make charging optimal.

IMG_1319.jpg
When I did my road trip, the highest rate of charge was 256kW for a short period of time. In order to reach those rates the battery needs to be warm (yours was) and the state of charge needs to be 10% or less. In my experience on the 350kW DC chargers most of the time during the 20-30 minute sessions was about 100kW rate of charge. When I had to use a 150kW DC charger I still got from the teens to 85% in about 35 minutes. As you experienced the rate of charge drops as the SOC goes up.

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well at least you guys have had luck with 350kw chargers. Everyone on my first trip from DC to Ashville has been broken! Had to use the 150kw chargers and only got 64kwh on the one location, did get 150kw on the second.

not to happy at this point with EA charging ability. They are always sorry and promise to send out a tech, but really a station with 2 350kwh and none work. Latest error code was 15002.

not fun 300 miles from home.

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
EA sux. VAG needs to get their act together because without a dependable charging network their EV’s won’t sell. Growing pains get a hall pass, but long term issues do not. We are approaching the end of the hall pass phase.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
EA sux. VAG needs to get their act together because without a dependable charging network their EV’s won’t sell. Growing pains get a hall pass, but long term issues do not. We are approaching the end of the hall pass phase.
The problem is, that neither the gov not US manufacturer push hard to get EVs out. The E-Mach is coming, then next year the VW ID.4. Shouldn't that create some demand for these chargers to work?

EU and Chinese regulators push EVs for environmental reasons really hard so the network is much better.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The problem is, that neither the gov not US manufacturer push hard to get EVs out. The E-Mach is coming, then next year the VW ID.4. Shouldn't that create some demand for these chargers to work?

EU and Chinese regulators push EVs for environmental reasons really hard so the network is much better.
Most people here are never going to use public charging. They'll charge at work or at home and drive a different car for long trips.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
For those of you who live in Fort Worth, only one of the four available 350Kw stations is working as of 10-Jul. I reported all three stations that are not working to EA. Sad thing is that Charger 100146-02 has been down for at least three weeks. Ditto port 2 on charger 100146-03. Port 1 works just fine (I’m sitting here charging up right now!).
Just letting my fellow Taycan owners here in Fort Worth know.
Happy charging!!
Toby

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
For those of you who live in Fort Worth, only one of the four available 350Kw stations is working as of 10-Jul. I reported all three stations that are not working to EA. Sad thing is that Charger 100146-02 has been down for at least three weeks. Ditto port 2 on charger 100146-03. Port 1 works just fine (I’m sitting here charging up right now!).
Just letting my fellow Taycan owners here in Fort Worth know.
Happy charging!!
Toby
yup this is EA in a nutshell, they just look like a charging network, they don’t function as one. Same here in MD/NoVA/DC area. I have never had one 350 kw charger of theirs work, brand new station had all 3 350 KW chargers at fault it fault in charging, not one was fixed two weeks after reporting them. Seriously they are a joke.

ill keep saying it, if you are in US call Porsche customer service and tell the,. Fast charging at 350 USA MAJOR feature of an expensive car and EA is the Porsche provided network. And EA is owned by VW group.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Most people here are never going to use public charging. They'll charge at work or at home and drive a different car for long trips.
Agree that most charging is at home. For long trips though, I still used my Tesla instead of the Mercedes. Now that the Taycan replaced my Merc, I don't think I am brave enough to try a long trip with it - my wife's Tesla will have to do.

As others have said, it is not the lack of density, or even the lower number of chargers per station that makes EA troublesome - it is the fact that chargers are apparently not serviced efficiently. My hope is that Porsche NA lives up to the promise and installs the 800V chargers at all their dealers - that will provide some relief. I do not expect free charging, not even cheaper-than-gas charging - reliable and fast charging will suffice for me.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
ill keep saying it, if you are in US call Porsche customer service and tell the,. Fast charging at 350 USA MAJOR feature of an expensive car and EA is the Porsche provided network. And EA is owned by VW group.
Thank you for reminding me to contact the Porsche Connect folks! I will call this morning and advise them about these chargers in Fort Worth. I also STILL have an open ticket on having a second profile enabled for the free charging (my wife's account). I sent quite a bit of documentation about the situation after talking to "Gus" at the Porsche Connect Help Desk in ATl. "Gus" faithfully promised to call me back with an update. We're headed into week 2 with THAT adventure with no response.

Toby

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
EA contracts with independent companies to repair their chargers. Which makes Fiscal sense at the current low density of stations. But that means these third parties “will get to it when it fits their schedule”.

Sadly, without dedicated Electricians (or more strict Service Level Agreements) the network will always be unreliable.

Tesla spends big bucks... and here’s one way they win... again.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Although it will be more costly for me, I plan to rely on the Petro Canada stations. They have decent network now and have a broader reputation to protect. I am hoping maintenance will be better. I just hope I don’t take out an entire town’s power supply like Louv did on his trip.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I implore fellow Taycan drivers to use Plugshare at every stop and leave a rating. It's a nice & free app to use and the more reviews/ratings we get on the 150+ chargers, the easier it'll be for us to plan trips.

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Although it will be more costly for me, I plan to rely on the Petro Canada stations. They have decent network now and have a broader reputation to protect. I am hoping maintenance will be better. I just hope I don’t take out an entire town’s power supply like Louv did on his trip.
Hey!!! It was only a city block!!! :cool:

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
My Mach E neighbor today at electrify America, the engineers said the Mustang was right off the line. Looked pretty nice in person.
And of course charging station issues, the people are always so nice on the phone at EA but I’d say 40% of my visits there has been issues with their system. Hope it gets better

Porsche Taycan Electricfy America charging tips 64A1DE26-DEE0-4786-9A82-8E8F0EA28096

Porsche Taycan Electricfy America charging tips BD4E912C-90FC-4B9F-BDFD-87FE8578927D