3 Random questions

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Only the trunk or frunk (to a limited extent) - a gadget too far IMHO for any other doors.
Actually, with friends and family, particularly with inclement weather, the ability to open and close doors from the touchscreen is genuinely useful, and not just a toy with which one can enjoy himself or herself, like the fart horn which is totally useless and not missed by me.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Actually, with friends and family, particularly with inclement weather, the ability to open and close doors from the touchscreen is genuinely useful, and not just a toy with which one can enjoy himself or herself, like the fart horn which is totally useless and not missed by me.
I think there is post here somewhere where someone looked at installing after-market soft close doors (not sure if they also open them).

Until Tesla came along with their gadget galore approach I don't think we thought someone might need it. I can just see many door opening incidents in our cramped car parks and misplaced bollards - a door ding waiting to happen.

I like the big old Toyota Taxis in Japan where the driver pulls a lever to manually open the rear passenger door.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
First car I see that has pressure plates according to the wheel size fitted at factory.
My other car's pressure plates have a row for each wheel option that was given at order time. My MB has normal and full load pressures, front and back for both 17 and 18'' wheels (those were the options back when the car was ordered).

I wouldn't have thought porsche would go to that extend of detail tbh.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Until Tesla came along with their gadget galore approach I don't think we thought someone might need it. I can just see many door opening incidents in our cramped car parks and misplaced bollards - a door ding waiting to happen.
I had soft close doors on my C6 RS6 and that was pretty nice back in 2009, especially with the Audi characteristic heavy thud. A lot of people simply wouldn’t close the doors hard enough - compared to the tin thin Asian cars, you really had to give them a decent thwack. Soft close just sucked it up 😅

On our model X, the rear doors are fully electrically actuated anyway so making them remote opening (screen, app, or key fob) in addition to three sets of buttons (inside B pillar, outside ‘handle’ and small button on the rear inside edge) makes them dead easy for anyone.

The addition of an e-actuator on the front doors rounds out the ability to open /close all the doors from anywhere - which is as said above sometime really useful.

The gimmick being when they chuck in Easter eggs like this…🤣

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had soft close doors on my C6 RS6 and that was pretty nice back in 2009, especially with the Audi characteristic heavy thud. A lot of people simply wouldn’t close the doors hard enough - compared to the tin thin Asian cars, you really had to give them a decent thwack. Soft close just sucked it up 😅

On our model X, the rear doors are fully electrically actuated anyway so making them remote opening (screen, app, or key fob) in addition to three sets of buttons (inside B pillar, outside ‘handle’ and small button on the rear inside edge) makes them dead easy for anyone.

The addition of an e-actuator on the front doors rounds out the ability to open /close all the doors from anywhere - which is as said above sometime really useful.

The gimmick being when they chuck in Easter eggs like this…🤣

Yes, until you have them and learn how useful it is, then you wouldn't miss it. But try going from having it for almost a decade to suddenly not having it.

Now, I read an article in The Washington Post today with interviews from the engineers who worked on autopilot about how Musk undermined them, and it was infuriating. Maybe Porsche could hire the disgruntled Tesla engineers and get the best of both worlds? Imagine the brilliance of a car like the Taycan with some of the UI and convenience improvements of the Tesla.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think there is post here somewhere where someone looked at installing after-market soft close doors (not sure if they also open them).

I like the big old Toyota Taxis in Japan where the driver pulls a lever to manually open the rear passenger door.
The sensors on the doors worked pretty well, and I never had a door ding. If an obstacle was detected, the door would either not open or just partially open.
Sponsored