Funny little things that drive me crazy | diva safe zone

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
17 months. Wow! Now I’m feeling ‘lucky’. I’m waiting on a Sport Turismo. I originally ordered a CT but when they brought out the ST I switched within a couple of days as I wanted the convenience of the hatchback for golf clubs but felt I was compromising with the CT as the higher ride height and wheel arch trims weren’t really for me. I guess it meant that I was one of the first to order an ST. Interestingly though, my dealer was always quoting later delivery dates and then suddenly, I got a build date and things moved ahead quickly. I’ve never really got to the bottom of why that was; the dealer just said that a build slot came up and they gave it to me 🤷‍♂️

What car have you ordered?
I ordered a Turbo CT. When ST came out few months later, I told the dealer I would be open to ST Turbo, but that is still to be offered in the USA. I didn't want a GTS primarily because the 4S I test drove was slower than what I drive now and I didn't want to step down (there was no GTS to test drive, but I figured it would be closer to 4S than Turbo). Over a year later I found myself in the very same spot in line thanks to merging of CT and sedan allocations. Luckily after realizing I was looking at 4+ years at the NW dealer, I started searching nationwide and eventually found an allocation just before I was about to give up and jump on a Lucid allocation (though work contacts). Original Taycan ETA was in December, but now the estimate is late February. Nobody knows when it will really get here.
Sponsored

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any idea if Porsche can even fix that camera fish eye via ota software upgrade? That is kind of inexcusable

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
My issue is the volume of cheap plastic in the car. The door sills, the bottom of the B-Panels, the area between back seats and the side of the car. All cheap plastic. One great thing about the DB11 was that every surface you could see was covered in leather.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If I'm encouraged to complain...

1. It's a hard car for dust... I like to drive with the windows down sometimes, but all those touchscreens and piano black surfaces.
2. It's a PITA to get in and out of in a tight space, as I have in my garage.
3. The side bolsters crease if you look at them funny. I've resigned myself to the side bolster crease that's developing no matter how much of my weight I try to bear getting in and out.
4. I have to press the air recirculation button every time I get in the car. My office building/garage houses a couple of very smelly restaurants. Unless I want my interior to smell like kimchi, this is mandatory.
5. Fisheye back-up camera (duh)

Pretty minor stuff. Great car.
3. Do you have 14 way or 18 way seats?

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fellow North Westerner, 17 months and counting. Car not even built yet (latest production ETA moved recently from November to January). What Taycan you waiting for?
Wow that's crazy. What did you order?

I ordered in April and it is being built right now, so 7 month wait. Ordered a GTS and I'm in Canada.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
See post #61 above.
Yeah I saw it after posting.... that is still insane. 17 months to wait for a car and you're pretty much ordering one of their top tier models. Props to you for sticking it out. I'm only 7 months into my wait and was being super impatient.

Dr Monty

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, BMW iX50, Audi
Country flag
Complaint mode engaged!

Ingress/Egress. My wife and I are small statured, so easy for us but not our passengers

Backup camera distortion. I drove a buddy's Ionic 5 and I loved his surround view options. Made precision parking very easy. The Taycan is so long and wide. I still struggle to dock this yacht.

PCM issues still present, even after the update. Car just spent a week at the dealer as they could not get SmartLift, Trunk Open Errors, Various system warnings to stay fixed. Dealer was great, but I am still pleasantly surprised when everything works.

Having overboost power available during normal driving instead of just launch mode would be nice.

I'd love it if the Night Vison Assist screen was available on the Passenger display and if the warning notifications showed on the Head Up Display.

I wish the Comfort Access for trunk and frunk worked more reliably.

A sports sedan should have a sunglass holder.

On the other hand, I was driving the other day and could not think of a car I'd rather own, regardless of price or availability. I have never felt that way about any other vehicle I owned.
Good suggestions, particularly on Night Vision Assist notifications showing up on HUD.
With regard to the parking cameras, it is shocking how useless they are in a real narrow world situation. 360 degree view security cameras are able to “Un-distort” their images, I can’t understand why our Porsche’s can’t actually help us out as we try to park in narrow garages, i.e., where one has to turn in sharply off a narrow street. The views look fine in an open space, but the moment you need them, it becomes a carnival funhouse of distortion.
I saw another thread that suggested a fix was coming/ has come (albeit not to Japan yet, where the updates seem quite delayed due to localization??). Can anyone shed some light on this possible fix?
Thanks.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Love this thread, in part because the PCM update has really cleared up all the BIG annoyances.

I back up my driveway to park in the garage and the reverse lights are not bright at all. The brake lights are far brighter. Backing up at night is hard with the fisheye and lack of light.
Totally agree with JRMuppet ... even with the fog lights on, the backup visibility in a dark driveway, etc. is marginal at best. Perhaps we've all be spoiled by iPhone cameras night vision but if the camera cannot brighten up a dark driveway or parking lot, the backup lights should have been far brighter.

Also have to wonder what the car can detect in such dim lights?! Hope it can see better than me.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Totally agree with JRMuppet ... even with the fog lights on, the backup visibility in a dark driveway, etc. is marginal at best. Perhaps we've all be spoiled by iPhone cameras night vision but if the camera cannot brighten up a dark driveway or parking lot, the backup lights should have been far brighter.

Also have to wonder what the car can detect in such dim lights?! Hope it can see better than me.
UPDATE: Perhaps obvious to everyone else, I just discovered that the brightness/dimness of the camera image is affected by the brightness setting for the Taycan display on which the camera image appears. I had mine set at "-5" ... when I went to "+5" the brightness of the image improved noticeably.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
After 2 months and 5k miles:
- high frequency rattle in the door somewhere (can't find it, can't repro it standing, definitely drives me nuts)
- fingerprints on the screens (I _just_ wiped this with the microfiber towel neatly folded under the console!!)
- I'm a bit OCD about shutting doors with the optimal effort - minimum force required for a soft sound and tight shut. _All_ of my passengers slam the door and make me wince. But that's ok, cause it's on them/I can always banish passengers for this unforgivable mistake. But I use the rear door quite often, and even I can't get it just right - the difference between not shut and perfectly shut seems to be a random, small number.
- finding the rear hatch button in the dark. Which I have to do because there is no rear hatch hard button in the driver's door, and the soft button on the console screen requires 2-3 taps (see 'fingerprints' above). Besides, i've shut off the car already, the screen is dark/asleep.
- (edit; how could I forget about this) absence of an indicator that steering wheel heating is on. It's pretty smart in that it'll turn it on automatically below 5-6*C (?) but it won't do that if you drive out of a warmer garage into colder air. And when it does, I have to toggle through the warnings "it's off now!" in the 3rd tube to turn it back on. No hardship, but a nice, warmly glowing icon in the instrument cluster would have been so much better.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
So, minor issue here but I despise the cargo hatch cover. Having a hard cover is useless and a waste of space. The sole function is to hide anything you may have in the hatch from prying eyes.

I would far prefer that they use electrochroamatic glass in the rear that automatically switches to black when the car is not moving with, at most, a screen that deploys vertically between the rear seats and the ceiling to keep people from looking in from the front.

On that note, the trim in the rear hatch should be as thin and close to the body as possible so as to maximize cargo space. Each inch back there makes a difference, and it is irksome that they have sacrificed utility merely to have a marginally more aesthetic appearance for a space that nobody looks at anyway. The same is true for the frunk. Who cares if it is symmetrical? So much wasted space. Just stupid.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
After 2 months and 5k miles:

- finding the rear hatch button in the dark. Which I have to do because there is no rear hatch hard button in the driver's door, and the soft button on the console screen requires 2-3 taps (see 'fingerprints' above). Besides, i've shut off the car already, the screen is dark/asleep.
You don't use the under car 'kick'?

I remember thinking I will almost certainly never use this feature when first spec'ing the car as it seemed naff and never had it on any other vehicle but have to say that I now almost always open the rear hatch with this method - no need to locate that button!

And before others comment I have literally had 100% success rate in initiating the opening this way too - rock solid :)
Sponsored