Have you had problems with the 12V battery or the electrical systems in your Taycan?

• Total voters

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Given all the concern regarding the 12V battery and electrical system failures, and per the recommendation of another user, I decided to start a poll. I would like our European counterparts to answer as well. I don't have my Taycan yet but it is scheduled to be delivered in late Oct and I am getting worried with all the issues people have been having with their 12V battery and their Taycan essentially becoming nonfunctional. Hopefully this will give us a better perspective on what percentage of owners here have actually had the problem and then see if it's related to the method of charging or their charger itself.
Sponsored

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Very curious if anyone outside the US has experienced this. As I just had a thought that could it somehow be related to the electricity voltage? Which is different in Europe. This is a very "out there" theory but it doesn't hurt to speculate.

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
Given all the concern regarding the 12V battery and electrical system failures, and per the recommendation of another user, I decided to start a poll. I would like our European counterparts to answer as well. I don't have my Taycan yet but it is scheduled to be delivered in late Oct and I am getting worried with all the issues people have been having with their 12V battery and their Taycan essentially becoming nonfunctional. Hopefully this will give us a better perspective on what percentage of owners here have actually had the problem and then see if it's related to the method of charging or their charger itself.
Have you seen my last post about this ?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Very curious if anyone outside the US has experienced this. As I just had a thought that could it somehow be related to the electricity voltage? Which is different in Europe. This is a very "out there" theory but it doesn't hurt to speculate.
I remember that
That is one difference ok! The other difference is the charging connectors? Wonder if the communication protocol is involved in any way? Speculations!

OP
OP

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you seen my last post about this ?
Was it the one regarding the response from your dealer? I did see that. I am hopeful that Porsche is actually aware and is working on a solution. This poll was hopefully to see how prevalent this problem actually is.

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
Was it the one regarding the response from your dealer? I did see that. I am hopeful that Porsche is actually aware and is working on a solution. This poll was hopefully to see how prevalent this problem actually is.
Yes it is....
For the moment, there is indeed a 12 volt battery problem that some person has had in the world.

so, it is not only in USA.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Folks,
Change perspective here for a moment.

Fact:
Porsche is aware there is a problem.

Assumption:
Porsche doesn’t want unhappy customers and/or bad press. Or cars that require Roadside assistance towing and Service. (Read: expenses that affect Profit)

Therefore:
Porsche is actively working on a fix.

My Recommendation:
Don’t panic. Chill. Don’t cancel orders. Don’t lose sleep. Don’t panic. Enjoy your cars. Enjoy the anticipation. Did I mention DON’T PANIC!!!?

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is a rare instance that I disagree with you louv (although only partially).

I agree we shouldn't panic. But I do think it's prudent to independently gather as much data as possible so we can pressure Porsche to prioritize this issue.

Will they fix the issue? One would assume so.

By emphasizing how big of a deal this is to customers can we speed that process up? Possibly.

I'm not panicked but I am concerned.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Porsche will know of every incident of this. These individual incidents will be rolled up into a problem ticket. The problem will be worked on, a solution will found and rolled town to the incident requesters. Standard procedure in triage. Porsche will definitely have this in hand. But it does no harm to poll the community.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did I mention DON’T PANIC!!!?
This is 2020, we are supposed to panic over everything ;)

Question - does having that special battery charger mitigate the downside if this happens? I don't mind waiting for a fix, but I prefer to have a way to temp. fix at home if it happens to me.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
No panic on my end but definitely a bit worried. I'm no tinkerer and there is no way I'll be able to do anything about this myself. I just need the car to work reliably.

I'm certain this is a high priority at Porsche. Let's wait and see.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
This is a rare instance that I disagree with you louv (although only partially).

I agree we shouldn't panic. But I do think it's prudent to independently gather as much data as possible so we can pressure Porsche to prioritize this issue.

Will they fix the issue? One would assume so.

By emphasizing how big of a deal this is to customers can we speed that process up? Possibly.

I'm not panicked but I am concerned.
Ok. I guess my point, having been on teams developing very high profile products, is that “pressure” probably isn’t needed. The internal pressure will be very high.

And it’s generally not possible to speed up most of the process. Speed up the decision to fix it? Yes. (But I’d wager my car that decision was made months ago). Speed up the investigation, coding, testing, and distribution of a fix? Not likely.

One of the best ways I ever heard to communicate “you can’t speed up the process” is this:

“You can’t have a baby in one month by throwing 9 women in a room.”

Information is great. More information is better. Just give them a little credit for being on top of this already. Or at least as much as they can be given how complex it is shipping firmware for an automobile.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Ok. I guess my point, having been on teams developing very high profile products, is that “pressure” probably isn’t needed. The internal pressure will be very high.

And it’s generally not possible to speed up most of the process. Speed up the decision to fix it? Yes. (But I’d wager my car that decision was made months ago). Speed up the investigation, coding, testing, and distribution of a fix? Not likely.

One of the best ways I ever heard to communicate “you can’t speed up the process” is this:

“You can’t have a baby in one month by throwing 9 women in a room.”

Information is great. More information is better. Just give them a little credit for being on top of this already. Or at least as much as they can be given how complex it is shipping firmware for an automobile.
Don’t tell me about the labour, just show me the baby!

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I guess I will jump in the thread since my 4s is currently in the shop awaiting a new 12v battery, after mine crapped out.

To follow up on Louv's post, I can confirm that Porsche knows the 12v battery is a problem because I reached out to senior Porsche NA folks in Atlanta today and they confirmed the problem, and that they are exploring options for a fix. In the meantime, these same people confirmed that a shipment of 12v batteries on its way to the US. Having this inventory will shorten repair times for vehicles in North America that exhibit 12v battery issues. This same senior individual also confirmed that they will do everything they can to rush one of these batteries to Denver, so my vehicle can get repaired.

While it sucks that my Taycan was affected, I am impressed that senior members of the Porsche team responded to my email, and provided information to show that they are working to lessen the impact of the 12v battery issue until an overall fix can be released.

At the end of the day, I guess this is the price for being a pioneer and buying generation one of a completely new vehicle. Once again, to quote Louv's post, I am not panicking. Well, maybe a little, I did buy a trickle charger just in case!!!!!!!

Once I get my car back I will make some changes to how I operate the car. I am going to reduce the number of charging profiles, I will log off the app when I get finished checking on vehicle status, and I will keep a closer eye on battery status. I am not sure if that will do anything, but I want to try to minimize the usage of items that require 12v battery power.

After that, I am hopping in the car and driving from Denver to Vegas. Because I can!!! Fingers crossed the EA charging network holds up.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Once I get my car back I will make some changes to how I operate the car. I am going to reduce the number of charging profiles, I will log off the app when I get finished checking on vehicle status, and I will keep a closer eye on battery status. I am not sure if that will do anything, but I want to try to minimize the usage of items that require 12v battery power.
I understand the battery running out of juice, I don't understand why it needs to be completely replaced (vs. just recharged with the right type of charger). Or is it if it goes to 0 it just totally is useless?

I know it is very small consolation, but I appreciate that you have gone through this so that other people can benefit from the experience. I did just get a trickle charger too, so Amazon also appreciates your effort ;)
Sponsored