Depreciated Value

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
With the conversions of HOV lanes to Express Lanes, how useful the sticker will be is declining also. I'm not convinced there wont be another program after the current one sunsets in 2024. Look at the mess that late white and red stickers were. :p
Sponsored

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
I agree that the depreciation on the Taycan won't exactly be pretty, but I do think there will be a floor on these things. I think the gap to that floor will be narrower on a 4S vs a turbo vs a turbo S. First, I think this is a timeless car especially because it's not duking it out with everyone else in terms of current design language—who has the biggest front grill or the hardest angles across the car. Those of you who own one just reflect on the comments and looks you get. Second, there are countless articles each week talking about the next breakthrough in battery technology etc., but these things take time to flow through supply chains. In that sense I think near-term progress is going to be iterative rather than occurring in massive jumps—especially with COVID impacting automotive revenue and R&D budgets. Third, having lived with an EV with 200 miles of range for over a year I’ve learned that 250+ miles of range is actually ample for 98% of travel. I can see a lot of people opting for a long range EV in the future (probably an SUV) with something fun as a second or third car. What the Taycan offers in performance and driving dynamics will put smiles on people’s faces for many years to come. My neighbor kid next store with his modified hot-hatch doesn’t care about cars that will drive themselves—he wants to drive his car, just like many of us and I think those people will continue to exist in the future. Now I’m not saying this is a great investment, but it may not be as catastrophic as an iPhone.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Hi, just wondering what people are seeing on residual value as I was considering a lease vs buy outright and my local Porsche dealer said they are seeing that Porsche has pushed the residual values down into the low 40% after 36 months. I asked why a car that only makes 20,000+ units a year could depreciate that much over 3 years? Any thoughts are appreciated. If you are leasing, can you share your residual value calculation (residual value/MSRP)?

I bet most didn't know that Porsche sets a limit on any vehicle for leasing purposes with a max out front value so when you spec above that value all of those additional dollars are not coming back in residual.

Love to hear what others are seeing on this topic.
I don't know if these numbers have changed, but back in April when I got my car these were the numbers, including the MRM (Maximum Residualized MSRP) which is the limit that I think you are referring to.

With Porsche Financial Services, the residual on the 4S for a 39 month lease is 49% for 10k miles/yr and 48% for 12k or 15k miles/yr (those were the numbers when I got my car). The MRM is $138,200. Those numbers are not subject to negotiation with the dealer, and are set by PFS. You will have more wiggle room with the Money Factor since the dealer usually does not do a straight pass through on its cost of funds.

dredman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2020 Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, previously 2019 BMW M5, 2016 BMW 5.0 X6, BMW N54 335i, BMW N54 Z4 35i, Nissan 350Z, Jeep Wrangler 4.0, Mazda Miata.
Country flag
Large luxury sedans have terrible resale value to begin with, and I'd expect a first-run EV to be even worse. It's like buying a cell phone in 2010. Tech will be a lot better in 3 years. I expect to lose my ass in depreciation on this car. :p
I traded in my 2019 M5 - 10K miles for my Taycan Turbo - I didnt want to lose the M5, but wife only lets me have so many toys - that hurt.. 120K to 80k in 18 months.. That is nothing compared to my i8 though - 155k down to 60K in 6 years.. which is why I kept it. I was had a deposit on a McLaren 570GT just before I got the Taycan allocation, the McLaren had almost 6k miles on it, was 3 years old and had eaten 100k - and this was the price the dealer wanted, so the original owner ate more and barely drove it - beautiful car, but I really wanted the Taycan, so I cancelled.

Depreciation is a thing but IMO cars (with a few exceptions) are not investments - I buy what I want to drive, while it would be nice if it didnt also burn dollars when I feel like changing them, thats life.

I'm expecting the depreciation on the Taycans to be horrific.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I don't know if these numbers have changed, but back in April when I got my car these were the numbers, including the MRM (Maximum Residualized MSRP) which is the limit that I think you are referring to.

With Porsche Financial Services, the residual on the 4S for a 39 month lease is 49% for 10k miles/yr and 48% for 12k or 15k miles/yr (those were the numbers when I got my car). The MRM is $138,200. Those numbers are not subject to negotiation with the dealer, and are set by PFS. You will have more wiggle room with the Money Factor since the dealer usually does not do a straight pass through on its cost of funds.
I was referring to the MRM. That is why heavy specs on cars are for the 1st owner to enjoy because there isn’t even a spot on the NADA value for some of the crazy bells we put on these cars. Most honest dealers say a 4S should spec for less than MRM but what ends up happening is that second buyer gets the bells for pennies on our original dollars. That is why they call us all early adopters. The guy who gets your green one and my red one will smile even more but at least we smiled first.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I was referring to the MRM. That is why heavy specs on cars are for the 1st owner to enjoy because there isn’t even a spot on the NADA value for some of the crazy bells we put on these cars. Most honest dealers say a 4S should spec for less than MRM but what ends up happening is that second buyer gets the bells for pennies on our original dollars. That is why they call us all early adopters. The guy who gets your green one and my red one will smile even more but at least we smiled first.
If your build is over the MRM, you should strongly consider moving up to the next trim level. Porsche know what they're doing; the options packages and pricing are very carefully designed.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
If your build is over the MRM, you should strongly consider moving up to the next trim level. Porsche know what they're doing; the options packages and pricing are very carefully designed.
In reality no one needs a daily driver at these price points. All of us as early adopters are paying sticker price or close to sticker. We are all subject to a big hit from the bells and whistles but also because there was little room to negotiate the price we paid. I ordered the car with the exact features that I wanted. Although my spec brings me closer to the price of the Turbo, my 4S is still better optioned (except for the additional HP) than the starting price for the Turbo. I'm enjoying it, and as mentioned by @rquinton the next owner will enjoy it too (at a better price). By then I'll have another toy to play with and enjoy.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
With the conversions of HOV lanes to Express Lanes, how useful the sticker will be is declining also. I'm not convinced there wont be another program after the current one sunsets in 2024. Look at the mess that late white and red stickers were. :p
I agree they will probably have another program but the current sticker on the Taycan will expire Since 2014 I've staggered my cars so I get the new color each year Its really only a game changer of the Bay bride commute it saves 30 minutes each way. If they announce a new program for 2025 and bone Ill just get another Taycan :)

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Whenever next gen batteries (solid state, 1000km-ish range) comes along - this gen taycan will be old news. Until then... I'm keeping it (aiming for 10 years ownership!)
If Porsche or an aftermarket supplier chooses to package new battery technology for earlier Taycans, it's good that the Taycan was designed to simplify battery pack replacement. As quoted in Jalopnik, battery pack replacement is “’...really quite easy,’ claims Steffen König, who led the Taycan’s body design.”

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
If Porsche or an aftermarket supplier chooses to package new battery technology for earlier Taycans, it's good that the Taycan was designed to simplify battery pack replacement. As quoted in Jalopnik, battery pack replacement is “’...really quite easy,’ claims Steffen König, who led the Taycan’s body design.”
That is interesting to hear. I plan to keep this car a long time so having an option to replace the battery would be welcome.

GDHazy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No one wants their arses handed to them but thats life qith pretty much any car isn't it. Obviously some get hurt more than others but as some others have said a car is rarely and investment, its either a transportation tool or a toy! This is the most expensive car I've ever owned by some distance, and I just intend to enjoy it as I may never have a car like this again in my life. YOLO!

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I personally plan to keep the car for 2 years and move on and I don't anticipate it loosing half of it's value in this time. The car is fantastic, whoever drives one loves it, motoring press love it, enthusiasts on forums love it, instagrammers love it.

Technology may move on slightly but I don't expect to see a 500 mile plus Taycan with 1000BHP in the near future. I guess these are the only 2 things that would render our cars being redundant! New headlights, cosmetic updates and interior changes etc will not hit values that hard. A replacement model will be at least 4-5 years away. What's there to worry about!?

Not worried at all and will enjoy it without worrying about depreciation. It's a car of course it will depreciate!

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I personally plan to keep the car for 2 years and move on and I don't anticipate it loosing half of it's value in this time. The car is fantastic, whoever drives one loves it, motoring press love it, enthusiasts on forums love it, instagrammers love it.

Technology may move on slightly but I don't expect to see a 500 mile plus Taycan with 1000BHP in the near future. I guess these are the only 2 things that would render our cars being redundant! New headlights, cosmetic updates and interior changes etc will not hit values that hard. A replacement model will be at least 4-5 years away. What's there to worry about!?

Not worried at all and will enjoy it without worrying about depreciation. It's a car of course it will depreciate!
I think your 4S Performance is also a kind sweet spot with these. More range, still powerful and a more competitive price than the Turbo and the Turbo S. Plus all the Taycans look almost the same unlike a 911 Turbo S vs a C4 or C2 which has some extra bits and bobs.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I think your 4S Performance is also a kind sweet spot with these. More range, still powerful and a more competitive price than the Turbo and the Turbo S. Plus all the Taycans look almost the same unlike a 911 Turbo S vs a C4 or C2 which has some extra bits and bobs.
Very true sir. Very hard to tell the difference between mine and the top whack Turbo S especially after the colour coding mods I have done.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I expect it will hold decent 2nd hand value.
They are (extemely) desireable, fun to drive, can be all-arounders.

Whenever next gen batteries (solid state, 1000km-ish range) comes along - this gen taycan will be old news. Until then... I'm keeping it (aiming for 10 years ownership!)
First gen EV from Prosche after a 100 years? In 10 years the price will go up, if you keep the car in excellent condition.
Sponsored