PPF on wheels - bad?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm calling detailing shops in the area about getting a full car PPF wrap, and ceramic coating. I just talked to a shop, the guy sounded like he knew his stuff, and he strongly recommends against doing PPF on the wheels. (I will have the Mission E wheels, painted white). I know some people on the forum have done this, and some have also done a tinted wrap. He said that with the heat generated by the brakes, and other stresses, the wrap wouldn't last and would peel or bubble. I pointed out that most braking will be regen braking, but he still recommends against this.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I'm calling detailing shops in the area about getting a full car PPF wrap, and ceramic coating. I just talked to a shop, the guy sounded like he knew his stuff, and he strongly recommends against doing PPF on the wheels. (I will have the Mission E wheels, painted white). I know some people on the forum have done this, and some have also done a tinted wrap. He said that with the heat generated by the brakes, and other stresses, the wrap wouldn't last and would peel or bubble. I pointed out that most braking will be regen braking, but he still recommends against this.

Thoughts?
The shop guy is probably right. Even ceramic coatings are optimized for wheels because of heat and rock hits. Film helps with rocks but is likely a disaster with hard driving or track use. If you drive hard enough to smell rubber when you stop, the plastic film will not survive.

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The shop guy is probably right. Even ceramic coatings are optimized for wheels because of heat and rock hits. Film helps with rocks but is likely a disaster with hard driving or track use. If you drive hard enough to smell rubber when you stop, the plastic film will not survive.
Agreed - I have full PPF on the bodywork (+ ceramic) and then Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour on the wheels.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm getting the full wrap with ceramic on my carrera white with mission e wheels, and decided to just do the ceramic on the wheels. That should be good enough. If you think about it, the painted inner rims of the wheels shouldn't see a lot of rocks/debris from the road because they're basically shielded by the tires. The front bumper/hood and mirrors on the other hand definitely will see a lot of road debris impact.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am also getting a full PPF wrap and the shop said doing the wheels was a bad idea for the reasons stated by the original poster. My wrap is xpel stealth and the shop said they could coat the wheels to make them matte. I chose not to do that to start as I can always add it.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I asked the same when I had PPS carried out and they declined to do the wheels. Ceramic coat is the way to go but that won't protect from chips - just makes it easier to clean and repels brake dust.