Device temperature is too high Error Message

MTM2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo, '19 Cayenne Turbo
Country flag
Anyone get this message? I have found it every time I have charged the car (3 time now). Charge primarily at night, but live in Houston and garage is not climate controlled. Charge process completes each time. Unclear at what point the error occurs.
Porsche Taycan Device temperature is too high Error Message IMG_2266
Sponsored

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
MTM2012 - you are likely experiencing the heating issues actively being discussed in the NEMA 14-50-Supply-Cable-Heat-Data thread - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/nema-14-50-supply-cable-heat-data.1940/

You may want to follow that thread for additional information.

Toby

P.S - Have you found many available L2 chargers or (preferably) L3 DC fast chargers in Houston? We make trips down to Houston from Dallas from time to time (we have a townhouse in the Montrose area that we rent out) so sooner or later we will drive down in the Taycan. Making it down I45 will be NBD, recharging in the city itself looks to be a bit more problematic! TBP

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
It's been pretty warm in Minnesota this summer - not at Houston level, but still frequent 80s-90s. Have not seen that message.

I would try in the short run to reduce current to 30A for safety, and in the long run have the mobile charger inspected.

OP
OP
MTM2012

MTM2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo, '19 Cayenne Turbo
Country flag
MTM2012 - you are likely experiencing the heating issues actively being discussed in the NEMA 14-50-Supply-Cable-Heat-Data thread - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/nema-14-50-supply-cable-heat-data.1940/

You may want to follow that thread for additional information.

Toby

P.S - Have you found many available L2 chargers or (preferably) L3 DC fast chargers in Houston? We make trips down to Houston from Dallas from time to time (we have a townhouse in the Montrose area that we rent out) so sooner or later we will drive down in the Taycan. Making it down I45 will be NBD, recharging in the city itself looks to be a bit more problematic! TBP
Thanks. I had read a bit about the elevated cable temperatures but hadn't run across anyone with a device error.

Haven't looked around too much for any fast chargers yet. The only in the 610 loop is near the Heights at a Walmart and is 150 kW. There are 2 350 kW chargers at a Walmart pretty far east, near Channelview.

JJTO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S Cab; '97 NSX; BMW X5, Suburban
Country flag
Thanks. I had read a bit about the elevated cable temperatures but hadn't run across anyone with a device error.

Haven't looked around too much for any fast chargers yet. The only in the 610 loop is near the Heights at a Walmart and is 150 kW. There are 2 350 kW chargers at a Walmart pretty far east, near Channelview.
Quite interesting that there are 2 350 kW chargers near Channelview....I don't think there a whole lot of EVs out there....maybe it's for drivers going out of town heading east.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is likely in line with what EA has been attempting to - build out charging infrastructure along major highways to support people on "road trips". It would be nice if either EA *or* the local Porsche dealers would install DC fast chargers in the city for use by Taycan, and later for the electric Macan buyers as well.

Toby

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
[

Toby

[/QUOTE]
Toby
I am North of Houston in the Woodlands. The EA chargers in Spring (Walmart), just North of Houston, are only 50kw chargers. I tried going there for the first time last week. 2 of the 4 were working.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am North of Houston in the Woodlands. The EA chargers in Spring (Walmart), just North of Houston, are only 50kw chargers. I tried going there for the first time last week. 2 of the 4 were working.
Sadly, that is a typical scenario - especially with the chargers that are out of order or down for maintenance for extended periods of time. Did Porsche North Houston install DC Fast Chargers? If so, that might be an option.

I continue to wonder how to influence the bigger players like EVGo and ChargePoint to beef up their service WITHIN metropolitan areas. And not with puny L2 chargers! I saw my first eTron in Fort Worth while I was charging at the EA location by Carswell last Sunday. You are beginning to see more EVs "in the wild" and not just Teslas! I hope someone will wake up soon and make some moves here.

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Sadly, that is a typical scenario - especially with the chargers that are out of order or down for maintenance for extended periods of time. Did Porsche North Houston install DC Fast Chargers? If so, that might be an option.

I continue to wonder how to influence the bigger players like EVGo and ChargePoint to beef up their service WITHIN metropolitan areas. And not with puny L2 chargers! I saw my first eTron in Fort Worth while I was charging at the EA location by Carswell last Sunday. You are beginning to see more EVs "in the wild" and not just Teslas! I hope someone will wake up soon and make some moves here.
Fully agree with you, On the DC Fast Charger, I only recall the L2's but have reached out to rep to confirm. Will message you separately when I hear back.
Sponsored