What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers?

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Early last year Porsche made a big deal of announcing that Porsche dealers would be installing DC fast chargers to which Taycan customers would have access for charging.

(it's mentioned in one of the last paragraphs in this release https://press.porsche.com/prod/pres...nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=944817 )

As far as I can tell, none of my local Bay Area dealers have done so. Has anyone seen fast charging at their dealer?
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nope. I'm guessing the dealerships scoffed at the cost and Porsche wasn't willing to pay the millions it would cost to do it.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Autobahn in Fort Worth has a ChargePoint DC Fast Charger, but you either need a ChargePoint account, or the dealership will gladly plug your car in while you visit. ParkPlace in Dallas has a DC Fast Charger, but it is not accessible to Customers. Not sure why the dealers are not doing this - other than for cost reasons. Perhaps that will change once the pandemic moves on.....

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Early last year Porsche made a big deal of announcing that Porsche dealers would be installing DC fast chargers to which Taycan customers would have access for charging.

(it's mentioned in one of the last paragraphs in this release https://press.porsche.com/prod/pres...nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=944817 )

As far as I can tell, none of my local Bay Area dealers have done so. Has anyone seen fast charging at their dealer?
Porsche of North Houston has 2 Fast Chargers according to response just now from my rep.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Our dealer has a 50KW round the back of the dealership. I do not think it is for customers use. At the front of the dealer they have Porsche pedestals fitted with chargers. I’d think they will be 22KW AC or less. Not very fast! You would think they would have fitted turbo chargers.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was told there are technical problems with the Porsche fast chargers not to mention the required extra utility feed required to power them.

8/30/20 Update: my dealer in Melbourne FL now has one high speed charger for use by their shop. ( or a customer if it is open....) The customer accessible high speed charger is not installed yet.

Last edited:

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was told there are technical problems with the Porsche fast chargers not to mention the required extra utility feed required to power them.
Doesn’t sound right, 350KW chargers are here in the UK, made by ABB among others. Pretty sure that Porsche would just use them, more likely a licensing issue or something like that. False promises are never good, wonder how long away they are from fulfilling the promise?

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag
Yes. I've seen them.
These are installed at 2 Porsche service centers in Bangkok. Totally accessible to customers and available for free. Apparently, they are the only 350 kw chargers in Thailand as well, for now.

Porsche Taycan What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers? IMG_20200808_214729

Reactions: Dee

taycan4sl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you share your experience if you use the chargers mentioned? I purchased my vehicle out of state (for an earlier allocation) so interested in if these chargers are available for anyone to use and if they are 24 X 7.

Porsche of North Houston has 2 Fast Chargers according to response just now from my rep.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
This is timely; I was at my dealership today (Hennessey Porsche in Alpharetta, GA, USA) to pick up the Porsche Charging Dock so I can install prior to delivery. While I was there I walked around their attached covered parking and saw their DCFC in action today. It's an enormous tower and runs at 800V I believe. I asked my SA if customers could use it. He said he wasn't sure about policy but if I call ahead he would be happy to accommodate me. He said they mainly use it for charging demo and customer delivery vehicles.

BTW, there were at least seven Taycans on the lot that I saw (plus at least one inside I'm sure). I finally got to see one in Gentian Blue and with the 20" Turbo wheels, just like my spec. If it's possible, I think I'm even more excited now.

I'll be back at the dealership on Tuesday to actually finalize my purchase (read: write a big check). If I remember I'll try to grab a picture of the dealership's charger.

Brent

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. I've seen them.
These are installed at 2 Porsche service centers in Bangkok. Totally accessible to customers and available for free. Apparently, they are the only 350 kw chargers in Thailand as well, for now.

IMG_20200808_214729.jpg
That sticker is a 400 volt 150KW charger. A Taycan without the 150 on board upgrade in the UK would only charge at 50KW is my understanding.

Reactions: MyA

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag
That sticker is a 400 volt 150KW charger. A Taycan without the 150 on board upgrade in the UK would only charge at 50KW is my understanding.
Ah. Really? My bad. I thought I could simply multiply 920V and 500A to get watt.
How do you get 150kw from?
Is the 150 before 920V in watt?

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag

My dealer in Montgomery Alabama has tall, 2-headed Charger installed. Don’t have Taycan yet to try it and haven’t inspected it up close for power. SA said he charged the demo Turbo in 30 minutes, so it sounds to be full power charger.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm not sure that is accurate. The input is 400V 3-Phase, but the charger has the ability to transform and output over a wide range of amperage and voltage. The ABB Terra HP 350 cabinet, for example (which this may actually be) takes a 400V 3P input and can output up to 350kW if my reading is correct.

Porsche Taycan What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers? 1597460285244