Country flag

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Punched Cards.
Paper Tape if you subscribe to the AtHomeUpdate FoD.
...or was it Cassette Tapes?

A show of hands for anyone who actually loaded software into a computer via any or all of those methods... Anyone? Anyone other than me?!? And, no, doing it as part of a Civil War Re-enactments doesn’t count.
I saw my dad do punch cards. I started using computers just as tapes gave way to floppy.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
My birth announcement was on punched cards. Dad was a nerd too. He was working at Bell Labs at the time. I can only imagine the confusion as family and friends opened the mail to find a blue, 80-column punched card with a bunch of weird square holes in it.

I had no choice, really. It’s was a nerd’s life for me. Destiny.

[photo of a photo of the actual punched card removed]

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Punched Cards.

A show of hands for anyone who actually loaded software into a computer via any or all of those methods... Anyone? Anyone other than me?!? And, no, doing it as part of a Civil War Re-enactments doesn’t count.
[Hand Up]

Remember the Altair 8080? 1976 or thereabouts... You had to load the bootstrap program BY HAND (which then enabled it to load the O/S via a tape reader in an LA120 Line Printer). There was no such thing as BIOS or ROM back then. You had to actually set 8 dip switches and hit LOAD over and over (to pull each of the 8 bits in through the accumulator) just so you could make it smart enough to load the O/S via a paper tape. You never wanted to shut that baby down...

So, Yeah!

Punch cards came much later for me. They were a luxury. (PDP 11/80).

"One's and Zero's? Hah kid, you had it good... We had to use the letter 'l'!" (That's an "el" for those who don't get the joke) ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[Hand Up]

Remember the Altair 8080? 1976 I think... You had to load the bootstrap program BY HAND (which enabled it to then load the O/S via a tape reader in an LA120 Line Printer). There was no such thing as BIOS or ROM back then. You had to actually set 8 dip switches and hit LOAD over and over (to pull each of the 8 bits in through the accumulator) just so you could make it smart enough to load the O/S.

So, Yeah!

Punch cards came much later for me. They were a luxury. (PDP 11/80)
Yup. Programmed one of those in my first college CS class. Years after using punched cards.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
My birth announcement was on punched cards. Dad was a nerd too. He was working at Bell Labs at the time. I can only imagine the confusion as family and friends opened the mail to find a blue, 80-column punched card with a bunch of weird square holes in it.

I had no choice, really. It’s was a nerd’s life for me. Destiny.
Careful... So much personal info there... (Gotcha by 4 years)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Careful... So much personal info there... (Gotcha by 4 years)
Yes. A birthdate. A full name. Ok. Someone will steal my identity. Grrr. I was going to edit out the date... but then I’d have to blur the holes! :)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Punched Cards.

I learned programming on punched cards !

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Punched Cards.

Punch cards I WISH. Until the mid-1990's, we had to manually type in Minuteman III ICBM target updates stored on a 128 pound magnetic drum with 1 MB total storage capacity. Don't ask about checksums. We were blessed to have paper tape for crypto loads. That said, that EMP hardened, nuclear-certified weapon system was infinitely more stable and debugged than the Taycan.
Sponsored