Taycan Preorders About to Hit 30,000

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I mean despite Porsche's habit to release top models first, this time entry level is more logical if you want to draw customers from Tesla.
I mean, for a few dollars more you can say "I drive Porsche" and that's still an understatement.
Besides, I don't like the interior of Tesla's, even if they are cheaper and go 0-60 in 2,4 sec (if that says anything about performance and handling..).
They aren't true sportscars either I think.
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Starting price at $150K for an EV with a questionable battery is ridiculous. It makes the 992 Carrera 4S at $120K look like a steal.
As an EV owner I can say range is an overrated item.
As a petrol user you go to the petrol station every time your tank is empty.
That's maybe not every day so you don't really realize what distance you use per day.
It's really not that much, check it.
In my country people live within 21km from work...
That's what the difference is with EVs cuz you can drive 4 hours and have 20 hours left for charging, at home and/or work.
You have to look what you need per day, not per charge.
On a full charge I can do 100km, that's plenty for 95% of my trips.
Really, when I do travel further, I know where the chargers are, no problem.
So, talking about a "questionable battery", you can drive for 4 hours and recharge while you take a rest for 30 minutes...
That's what you would do while having a petrol car anyway, right?
I think 96kWh with 400+km range is sufficient for 99,9% of the time if not 100%.
Unless you drive 1000km/day but I don't know anybody who does that on a regular basis.
Still, it's just possible, no problem at all.
It's all a matter of mind set.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
This all depends as you say, on your average drive per day.... I am also an ev owner.... we actually only have evs in our household. And all of a sudden range becomes very important. Because we do drive long distances. This is why I lease evs.... except collection cars.... that way I can upgrade when a bigger and/or better battery comes along. As I have already done 3 times.... So range is important in this aspect but what is obviously even more important is that there is a healthy quick-charging network built around the battery tech being used in the ev..... this is where TESLA excels for the time being, and I dearly hope Porsche will live up to their promises with the 800V charging system since time to recharge is also important in the end..... :)

If they can have sufficient fast-charging stations that use the 800V capability at the outset then the slightly smaller battery than the tesla becomes negligible since the Porsche tech is currently 2x faster to charge back up.

Another aspect that is very important in an ev is the efficiency of the overall package. Since an ev is really like an ice with a very small tank. So the Cw value has to be as low as possible and then the elec motors have to distribute power as efficiently as possible during different driving situations so as to maximize usable power stock from the battery. Here TESLA is still much better than most. And probably one of the main reasons why the e-tron and the I-pace are having some problems getting into customers hands. They are just not as efficient in using their electrons as the TESLAs. :)

Last edited:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I don't think so.
People who shop for an EV may go for the Model 3 or Model S then.
I’m still hearing that the Turbo S will be one of the initial models in the market........ we will see..... just barely one month left. :)

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
  1. Mileage for some of us is paramount. Here where I live in Texas the state is roughly 850 miles (1368 km) East to West and 850 miles (1368 km) North to South so distances between events can be far apart. I agree that a EV for many folks just going to work does not need a large battery but for other use mileage is King. My family has a weekend house that is 550 miles (885 km) from our regular house and at this point taking a EV out there would be problamatic.

soly20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 TT, Range Rover Sport, BMW 525
Country flag
Porsche in my area told me the Turbo S will have 700BHP and similar performance number as the of the 911 GT2RS. 0-60 around 2.5s but the big difference to Tesla performance model, they are saying, is the handling of the car. Meaning in a track it will destroy a Tesla. Also the drivign feel they claim is like a sports car.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
It's not the size of the battery I'm worried about, the range will be plenty enough for my needs including my trips in Europe provided I can find fast chargers where and when I need them. No my problem is that they cut the max charge rate from 350 to 250kW. This tells me they have discovered degradation problems with the current battery packs. I dont think I'm willing to pay a starting price of $150K for a car which value will most probably drop like a stone now that people already know that a much better battery pack will be available from 2021.

Last edited:

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
I mean despite Porsche's habit to release top models first.......
Sorry but...what series are you referring to with this order?
Maybe over where you are that has been the order?
I've been buying Porsches for quite a while and generally recall the base model usually out 1st.....but I could be wrong?
Over here the order for the 992 was Carrera, S, 4S & Cab, and then Turbo.
That's why I'd said earlier ......that the rumor of Taycan Turbo as being 1st (along with sticker shock for $80K waiting-placeholders) seemed a bit strange.

The only rational I can think of for Turbo and 4S to be first is that they'd (apparently) share the same drive-line.....making 1st assemblies at their new facility a bit easier. That said, the existing 911 assembly line is capable of alternating any model in succession at any time.....as I've seen it.

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Porsche in my area told me the Turbo S will have 700BHP and similar performance number as the of the 911 GT2RS. 0-60 around 2.5s but the big difference to Tesla performance model, they are saying, is the handling of the car. Meaning in a track it will destroy a Tesla. Also the drivign feel they claim is like a sports car.
In case anyone missed it the Model S Performance with Ludicrous (0-60 in 2.4 sec) now costs $100K with AutoPilot included. I expect the $150K Taycan Turbo S to appeal to the sports car oriented buyer. I expect the less expensive Model S which has more interior room and cargo space to appeal to the performance sedan buyer.

The really crazy thing is that the Model 3 Performance (0-60 in 3.2 sec) now only costs $55K including AutoPilot. It handles better than the Model S and has a Track Mode.

There is plenty of room in the market for all three of these cars. They will be displacing ICE performance sedans from BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Porsche more than they will be displacing each other.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
  1. Mileage for some of us is paramount. Here where I live in Texas the state is roughly 850 miles (1368 km) East to West and 850 miles (1368 km) North to South so distances between events can be far apart. I agree that a EV for many folks just going to work does not need a large battery but for other use mileage is King. My family has a weekend house that is 550 miles (885 km) from our regular house and at this point taking a EV out there would be problamatic.
Is the EV the problem or the infrastructure?
How long do you drive?
I suppose you take rests after a few hours of driving?
That's also the time you can recharge.
People don't realize how long a car sits still.

It also depends on how many times you drive long distances, but then again, it's just possible, easy, it may be inconvenient but not impossible, far from it.
It's just a state of mind.
But I know what you mean, it's just what you are used to.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Sorry but...what series are you referring to with this order?
Maybe over where you are that has been the order?
I've been buying Porsches for quite a while and generally recall the base model usually out 1st.....but I could be wrong?
Over here the order for the 992 was Carrera, S, 4S & Cab, and then Turbo.
That's why I'd said earlier ......that the rumor of Taycan Turbo as being 1st (along with sticker shock for $80K waiting-placeholders) seemed a bit strange.

The only rational I can think of for Turbo and 4S to be first is that they'd (apparently) share the same drive-line.....making 1st assemblies at their new facility a bit easier. That said, the existing 911 assembly line is capable of alternating any model in succession at any time.....as I've seen it.
Here in the Netherlands the base model of the 992 is out now.

It's also nice to see big difference in prices, Europe, the Netherlands, Denmark and US.
Take a look at a Carrera S:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Preorders About to Hit 30,000 Screenshot_20190731-152454~2
That's US prices (I think every state has different taxes right? But still...)

Here are the prices in Germany, and are the same in Europe:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Preorders About to Hit 30,000 Screenshot_20190731-162536

But in my country ,the Netherlands, we have CO2-tax...
Look at this:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Preorders About to Hit 30,000 Screenshot_20190731-152707~2

Indeed, that's a lot of taxes right there!
But in Denmark it's even worse:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Preorders About to Hit 30,000 Screenshot_20190731-193422

That's a little over €300K....

I thought it would be nice to share this with you guys.
Maybe now you understand I'm interested in an power EV cuz there's no CO2-tax and we'll pay the same as in the rest of the world...
Our government is totally into environment and CO2-madness as you can see here.

Last edited:

soly20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 TT, Range Rover Sport, BMW 525
Country flag
Here in the Netherlands the base model of the 992 is out now.

It's also nice to see big difference in prices, Europe, the Netherlands, Denmark and US.
Take a look at this:
Screenshot_20190731-152454~2.png
That's US prices (I think every state has different taxes right? But still...)

Here are the prices in Germany, and are the same in Europe:
Screenshot_20190731-162536.png

But in my country ,the Netherlands, we have CO2-tax...
Look at this:
Screenshot_20190731-152707~2.png

Indeed, that's a lot of taxes right there!
But in Denmark it's even worse:
Screenshot_20190731-193422.png

That's a little over €300K....

I thought it would be nice to share this with you guys.
Maybe now you understand I'm interested in an power EV cuz there's no CO2-tax and we'll pay the same as in the rest of the world...
Our government is totally into environment and CO2-madness as you can see here.
I am in the same boat regarding government taxes. I think we are a little cheaper in Lebanon. The 911 Carrera S starts at $203,300.

EVs are the same price as everywhere else. No tax!

Reactions: Dee