NEMA 14-50 position in garage for PMCC

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3686.JPG

Just had mine installed today so here are pictures of the actual plug if helpful. Will be planning on putting the PMCC to the right of that which is why I had them install it slightly off center.
Fyi, the ground pin needs to be at the 6 o’clock position if installing the PMCC next to the outlet. Also if you are using the basic charger mount it cannot be too far away from the outlet otherwise the power cord from the top of the PMCC will not reach after making the U bend.,

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3686.JPG

Just had mine installed today so here are pictures of the actual plug if helpful. Will be planning on putting the PMCC to the right of that which is why I had them install it slightly off center.
Your plug orientation (ground pin up) is perfect if your PMCC will be slightly right and slightly lower (no Porsche Dock). Your electrician installed it perfectly for normal use.

If using the Porsche Dock this orientation would require the longer input cable (~3 ft.). The short (1 ft.) Porsche input cable with the Dock requires the ground pin to be down.

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 position in garage for PMCC IMG_0145

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If installed next to the outlet it will look like this.
1599350436864.jpeg
Your installation has the ground pin down, the correct orientation for the Porsche Dock (if there was room to the right of the plug for the Dock).

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Your installation has the ground pin down, the correct orientation for the Porsche Dock (if there was room to the right of the plug for the Dock).
Correct, but it would still be ground pin down if I had the Porsche dock to the right.

vertebae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
pending
Country flag
@wmras, I think we are saying the same thing - mounted next then ground pin down. Mounted below ground pin up. ;)
Agree, mine will be to the right and below the plug level :D . But all the included pictures are helpful for confirming that and for anyone else who wants to mount it more evenly side-by-side, or even above, in which case they may want the ground plug down at 6 o’clock.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I'm picking up my car Saturday. In trying to be proactive I had an electrician come in and install a NEMA 14-50 with a 50A breaker on my panel before taking delivery of the car.

Not very smart of me...the NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage is installed 3 feet off the ground. Only to realize the charger needs the NEMA plug above it since in its proper orientation the cord that connects to the NEMA outlet is above the charger and also pretty damn short.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Looks like my only option is to have the outlet re-installed higher or not wall mount the PMCC (with the PMCC basic wall mount) and leave it on the floor!

I thought since the supply and car cable can be removed maybe they could be swapped top to bottom but it doesn't look that way.

Not very diligent on my part
No Offense, but this stuff isn't rocket science...

Shut off the breaker, open the box, disconnect the outlet, cut the conduit up higher, trim the wires and re-assemble everything higher on the wall... 20 minutes max...

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Agree, mine will be to the right and below the plug level :D . But all the included pictures are helpful for confirming that and for anyone else who wants to mount it more evenly side-by-side, or even above, in which case they may want the ground plug down at 6 o’clock.
Ok guess I’ll ask one more inane question. Isn’t it more ideal to NOT have the u-turn in the short cord from the outlet to the charger? Meaning more like @wmras? Or does it not matter? Also worth saying I won’t have the dock - I realize the dock requires the u-turn.

Last edited:
OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No Offense, but this stuff isn't rocket science...

Shut off the breaker, open the box, disconnect the outlet, cut the conduit up higher, trim the wires and re-assemble everything higher on the wall... 20 minutes max...
I've gotten a safety inspection and certification after the install for local code compliance and insurance reasons so I wouldn't attempt that. Makes sense if you are in a situation where local codes don't require certification etc.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok guess I’ll ask one more inane question. Isn’t it more ideal to NOT have the u-turn in the short cord from the outlet to the charger? Meaning more like @wmras? Or does it not matter? Also worth saying I won’t have the dock - I realize the dock requires the u-turn.
Electricians avoid sharp turns because they concentrate heat, so there is an element of truth to not have a sharp u-turn. In my installation, the charger position down and to the right was chosen so the charger strain relief "has no strain" - the wire is not touching the strain relief (perfectly centered).

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I too had a problem with an outlet that was mounted too low. I discovered I could just turn the PMCC upside down in the mount. As someone else mentioned, you rarely need to be able to read the text on the PMCC screen.
Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 position in garage for PMCC IMG_0995

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
lol. Turn it upside down! Are you guys for real? Surly you want it to look nice in your garage and actually be able to read the display etc!

Jasco999

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Cad. Escalade, 2018 Range Rover, 2018 Yukon Denali XL
Country flag
Nice! I didn't know this existed. If I can't re-install the outlet since it may require to do an entirely new run from the basement panel to the garage I'll go with an extension. Only concern is safety or loss of output if I introduce an extension...I'll have to research this bit thanks.
The extension cord will work- but these heavy cords typically have handles that make their removal easy. So it’s a safety hazard if you have young children that can get anywhere near them.
Sponsored