r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Ok- been scanning other threads and think I have at least a potential cause for my 12V battery drain/shutdown. I was merrily deleting profiles on my app in the evening while the Taycan was plugged in. I had set some profiles up...but with a timer set up every day for 85% at 7:00am via mobile charger and the car generally plugged in overnight, didn’t see the need for profiles. Anyway, seems that futzing with charging settings while charging is a no-no. Now that I’m down to just the single timer and no profiles, hopefully won’t happen again. Porsche service still thinks they need to replace my manual charger eject pull cord (although it isn’t damaged...just hanging in the door jamb) so I’ll update forum when I go through that process. Happy motoring!
Scott,
Does your car have all the latest fixes installed?

Rob
Sponsored

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
Does your car have all the latest fixes installed?

According to local Porsche service folks I don’t have any outstanding updates on my VIN. Although I wouldn’t say I am enthralled with their level of Taycan service knowledge. I took remote delivery of mine from OH dealer - they did do an update on arrival from Germany before shipping to me...so¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I feel like there should be an “about” screen on the car where it shows all the current software levels.

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does this not just boil down to simply using the on/off button when switching off the car and before locking it? Maybe too simplistic but looking through these issues on the forum, it seems to be largely US cars that are impacted. Unless I am mistaken I have not heard of anyone in Europe having this issue but I am wandering whether its just how people switch off the car after use vs an actual issue with the car/components of it?
Well, yes- it is possible the Americans are all forgetting to turn off their cars. :). Seriously, though, I suppose it could be that simple....Don’t hold down the button until the cute little taillight graphic goes off, and your 12V system might stay on and drain itself. I would think, though, that if you lock the car and walk away, the car should be smart enough to shut itself down. It is super easy to forget the button press/hold step after you put it in park.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there is _NO_ excuse for there to be a dead 12 volt battery in an electric car with a 93 kWh main battery - none - zero - zip - nada - even under duress the main battery can/should charge the 12 volt battery.

for it not to do so is a complete fail on Porsche's part and we should all be demanding Porsche investigate and resolve this clear and unfortunate bug in their gen-1 products.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
there is _NO_ excuse for there to be a dead 12 volt battery in an electric car with a 93 kWh main battery - none - zero - zip - nada - even under duress the main battery can/should charge the 12 volt battery.

for it not to do so is a complete fail on Porsche's part and we should all be demanding Porsche investigate and resolve this clear and unfortunate bug in their gen-1 products.
I don’t disagree with any of that. However, I was just trying to figure out if it’s something as simple (and stupid) like that. At least then (whilst Porsche fixes the issue) others do not need to suffer the outcome some have already had to endure. I would rather know that and prevent my car being bricked for weeks/ months it seems in some instances.

I agree Porsche should ensure its fixed regardless, but I would rather be driving the car than just looking at it because it’s got a dead battery that now needs replacing...

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, yes- it is possible the Americans are all forgetting to turn off their cars. :). Seriously, though, I suppose it could be that simple....Don’t hold down the button until the cute little taillight graphic goes off, and your 12V system might stay on and drain itself. I would think, though, that if you lock the car and walk away, the car should be smart enough to shut itself down. It is super easy to forget the button press/hold step after you put it in park.
Yep agree on all of that. Though unlike other ground up EV manufacturers, Porsche comes from the ICE world and in an ICE car you would not stick it in park and walk away locking the doors expecting everything to switch off, though you probably would not be able to lock the doors from the outside on some cars anyway with the engine running.

In fact, if they had just removed the on/off button it would have saved cost and the extra complexity in the process, ie they would have had to cater for the on/off process. I think it’s there more for heritage purposes and to show lineage back to all Porsche’s...

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Every Plugin Hybrid/EV I have owned (Chevy Volt, Volvo T8, Tesla Model S) has had a dead battery like this. Eventually, some combination of software/hardware update and behavior made the problem go away. For all three cars, I started locking the car before charging, believing that locking the car when parked would prevent any weird logic in the car from believing that someone was inside. I have no idea if it really helped.

Strangely enough, it has NEVER happened to me with an ICE vehicle.
I’ve had my Tesla Model S for 5 years and over 50,000 miles and have NEVER had a dead 12-volt battery. At 4.5 years, I had to replace my 12-volt battery, but my Tesla told me politely that it was time to replace it. Mobile repair Technician replaced it on a Saturday.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I’ve had my Tesla Model S for 5 years and over 50,000 miles and have NEVER had a dead 12-volt battery. At 4.5 years, I had to replace my 12-volt battery, but my Tesla told me politely that it was time to replace it. Mobile repair Technician replaced it on a Saturday.
That makes sense. I failed to note that each one of my cars was purchased within the first two model years. It seems like the manufacturers each figured out what was causing the issue and the problems went away. My father also has not had a dead battery in his Model S, which he purchased about five years ago. I was merely suggesting that this dead battery problem appears to be a very common growing pain for manufacturers who launch EVs.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not to repeat others, but had a major 12V issue this morning. Taycan last driven 3 days ago. Overnight timer set for 85% max at 7am. no issues at all so far with mobile charger with 40A max. 385 total miles....should mention, very fun miles!

Go to car in morning All dark. Locked, so learned how to manually open door. Learned how to release charger connection manually on passenger side (who knew there was a string involved?). Porsche roadside contractor and I learned together how to jump the fuse panel in order to get enough juice for the frunk to open. Put the charger on the 12V terminals up front...and like magic, everything lites up inside. “Low 12V warning” on the display,, but otherwise fine.

Had them take the car to dealership to evaluate. My theory is some software sequence Is setting up an electrical drain on the 12V system. The modern day equivalent of leaving the lights on overnight in my 1972 240Z which would have the same net effect.

will post if I get any meaningful info from dealership.
Anyone in UK had this issue ?

Subzilla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 992, Tesla model X 100d, Taycan turbo on order
Country flag
My business partner text me a pic of his car this morning on the back of a low loader heading back to Porsche Chester.
seems there’s a problem with certain chargers and the car software. There’s an update being distributed by recall.
Porsche Taycan Another 12V issue 31FB87B4-8A53-4D0F-BDD8-83D816012523

Last edited:

Mike_D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S; 2017 Macan GTS
Country flag
Took my car into my dealer today for a tire problem and was told they were going to replace my 12V battery on the basis of a recall. Sadly I don't have any more details but it was apparently issued in the last few days.

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Took my car into my dealer today for a tire problem and was told they were going to replace my 12V battery on the basis of a recall. Sadly I don't have any more details but it was apparently issued in the last few days.
Thanks for posting- and sorry about that. When did you take delivery of your Taycan? I was just at Porsche Service last week and didn't get the same message (delivery in late July)

Subzilla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 992, Tesla model X 100d, Taycan turbo on order
Country flag
Thanks for posting- and sorry about that. When did you take delivery of your Taycan? I was just at Porsche Service last week and didn't get the same message (delivery in late July)
Hi we took delivery about 5 weeks ago, the car is back fixed. Chester Porsche pulled out all the stops to get it back ASAP
Apparently there’s a letter going out to inform owners ?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My business partner text me a pic of his car this morning on the back of a low loader heading back to Porsche Chester.
seems there’s a problem with certain chargers and the car software. There’s an update being distributed by recall.
31FB87B4-8A53-4D0F-BDD8-83D816012523.jpeg
Was this the same 12v issue and has it been fixed now?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi we took delivery about 5 weeks ago, the car is back fixed. Chester Porsche pulled out all the stops to get it back ASAP
Apparently there’s a letter going out to inform owners ?
What's the letter for - is there a specific issue/recall or is it to outline steps to prevent the issue?
Sponsored