Greetings Bay Area ppl!

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag
Btw speaking about chargers, there is a very interesting EA charger in SF with a robotic arm in development (closed to the public), I would be happy to try that:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/1/20750154/vw-electrify-america-ev-robot-chargers

https://www.plugshare.com/location/223778
Interesting article

" A test site in San Francisco will be constructed with the aim to open in early 2020."

I guess COVID pushed the schedule out a bit . I would definitely want to be one of the first ones to try it out though
Sponsored

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
I believe it’s developed for fleets, traditional car manufacturers are thinking ahead, hopefully Covid actually put more funds in this project to make charging touch-less faster.

Tesla have been working on it for many years with no commercial success... just like autopilot..

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Caught this one today at the Stanford Electrify America charger, any one from here? Needs a wash!!!

25A79C62-BCB6-4BF8-89D1-AF24CFBC7D88.jpeg
I was there today...but alas, that is not my Taycan.

But I'm glad you got a picture of the EA chargers. Our Meet-Up in November is supposed to be near here, but I don't think we should be in a parking garage!

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Question for owners: Are you seeking the California Car Pool stickers for your Taycan? If so, do you already have them on your car?

My understanding is that California distributes them by the car brand. Given that this is Porsche's first EV, there should be plenty of them to go around, should you decide to ask. I will definitely ask for them, but I'm reluctant to put it on the car!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
They aren't by brand. I'll wait until January to file for mine.
Yes, I think @BayAreaKen may have mistaken the rule with the Federal Rebate which is by brand. Porsche is still at the full $7500. The California state rebate is income restricted so most don't qualify so the carpool lane stickers is the best we get from the state. I believe that they are easily removable at least. Not sure if removing would affect a clear wrap though. Probably see your wrap person to have it removed when it expires.

Good idea by the way @Miwa to wait till January to get next year's sticker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miwa

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The stickers suck to get off. I removed the white ones for red ones for my wife's previous Bolt.

I'm considering getting some of the backing film people custom cut to apply them to so that it's easier to remove them. The downside of that is "easier to remove" so I guess someone could steal them, but I doubt I'd ever park the Tayan anywhere that'd be a concern.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Question for owners: Are you seeking the California Car Pool stickers for your Taycan? If so, do you already have them on your car?

My understanding is that California distributes them by the car brand. Given that this is Porsche's first EV, there should be plenty of them to go around, should you decide to ask. I will definitely ask for them, but I'm reluctant to put it on the car!
There are great film under-sticker protectors that you can put on your car. I have them on both of our EVs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NK8S13G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_qVpyFbTT0GT6C

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
They aren't by brand. I'll wait until January to file for mine.

I looked it up and had a fact backwards. Here is the detail:

The carpool stickers are NOT rationed by brand. They just have to meet the low emissions standards. Here is a list of all eligible vehicles.

The cap on quantity of cars sold is for the Federal Income Tax credit. Once a manufacturer has sold 200,000 EVs, the tax credit is phased out over the course of a year for all of that manufacturers' models. As of now, GM and Tesla are the only two manufacturers who have hit that limit. So you can't apply for a tax credit if you purchase a Chevy Bolt (or any other GM electric vehicle) or a Tesla.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you know if you need to submit your application by certain number of days from your purchase date?
Nope. The rules are on the CA DMV web site:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehic...n-air-vehicle-decals-for-using-carpool-lanes/

and there's no mention anywhere of a time limit for filing. We bought my wife's e-Golf last September but didn't apply for decals until January to get us an extra year of eligibility.

You only get the decals issued once per car, and they stay with the car. They're only good for four years, so particularly given the current situation it feels like it's worth waiting until January to apply.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you know if you need to submit your application by certain number of days from your purchase date?
BTW, the reason to wait till January, is that you get the sticker for a certain number of calendar years, so if you got the sticker on the last day of Dec 2020, it would count for 1 calendar year already!)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan, 911
Country flag
BTW, the reason to wait till January, is that you get the sticker for a certain number of calendar years, so if you got the sticker on the last day of Dec 2020, it would count for 1 calendar year already!)
Yeah - I realized that but apparently I misread the part of 60 days within purchase for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles applying to EVs. Good thing I didn't mail it in yet ;P

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And I should add: the whole program ends on September 30, 2025. Which means that this coming January is about as late as it makes sense to wait to apply for your decals.

OP
OP
Miwa

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And I should add: the whole program ends on September 30, 2025. Which means that this coming January is about as late as it makes sense to wait to apply for your decals.
Unless they extend it again like they did in 2019. You'll have to wait for 2025 to see though. :p

BTW, I just got notice that my $800 rebate from PG&E for the wife's Bolt (filed for it a few weeks ago) was approved.
Sponsored