evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I wanted a mount for my phone so I could actually use its functions independent of any PCM connectivity. The more screens the better (IMHO) - and yes I have the passenger control console...

Anyway, I wanted the mount to meet the following criteria:

- Clearly in View
- Easily Accessible (to use)
- Not block access to anything else
- Allow me to charge my phone (at a full 2.4A) while mounted
- No wires to plug in/out or route every time I "mount my phone"
- Phone slides into mount and automatically lines up and establishes USB connection
- Securely mounted
- No Adhesives, Screws, or anything else that would permanently effect the interior of the car

I've been designing and making mounts, clamps, and all kinds of things for cars, boats, airplanes, home use etc for many years. So this clearly was another opportunity to make a custom mount that worked exactly the way I wanted. Version 1.0 is ready and I think it works quite well. However, its also likely I'll continue to tweak it as I move forward. (I have attached the 3D Printer Files if anyone else would like to print or join this design effort).

So, here is the mount attached to my console with my phone charging in full view and easily accessible. The mount clamps onto the shoulders of that little cavity under the console. More on that later...

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 0R0A1548.JPG

Here is the actual phone holder. My Note 10+ slides right in and automatically aligns and connects with the USB plug at the bottom. No screwing around with cables every time I mount/dismount my phone. The little slots in the bottom are for speaker sound redirection as I also use these mounts in places without any Bluetooth functions. (I realize most folks here are Apple users, so if anyone wants the 3D print files for this Note 10+ holder just sent me a PM). However, lots of companies sell similar (but less perfect! ;-) ) holders for iPhones. The back side of this holder has a 1" RAM ball attached so it can be swiveled and adjusted. RAM mounts are absolutely perfect for this type of application. Check their web site for iPhone specific holders as well!

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 0R0A1552.JPG

Here is what the actual clamp looks like without the phone mount attached. Note the 1" RAM ball mount. The little screw head you see is to pull the two halves of the clamp together to clamp it between the top and bottom of the console. The edges are all rounded, but I might be able to make it even cleaner by rounding the shape of the clamp more. However, if I want to keep the clamp as small as possible, this shape gives me the best structural integrity I think.

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 0R0A1562.JPG

Here is what the clamp looks like when it is removed from the car yet fully assembled. Note the curve on the inside of the clamp which follows the outline of the console shoulder. Yes, that little notch is supposed to be there so I have a little extra gap when pulling the clamp together using the screw.

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 0R0A1574.JPG

Here is what the clamp looks like when "exploded" into all its individual components. The plastic parts are obviously 3D printed. The tightening screw is a standard drywall screw. The Ball mount comes from RAM Mounts. However, I did remove the longer threaded rod which came with the ball mount and replaced it with my own shorter machine screw. There is a recess in the underside of the top part to keep the head of the machine screw from contacting the leather of the console shoulder.

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 0R0A1577.JPG

The 3D printed parts are all carefully designed so as not to require any printing supports. (If you do any 3D Printing you will appreciate this). This is always one of my goals when doing a 3D Printed design. If I have to use printing "supports" then I always feel my design has failed somehow...

I am also going to check if adding an adhesive strip of velcro ( just the fuzzy side) to the clamp surface helps protect the leather even further.

Anyway, if you are also a "maker" feel free to use my files to print your own clamp. ...or maybe you know someone who is? I'm also happy to completely discount any suggestions for changes to my already amazing design (YES - That WAS a joke!). If anyone has any suggestions or questions please let me know.

Now... I'm off to figure out how to make, and where to put, a similarly "noninvasive" mount for a dedicated USB 2.4A charging port somewhere near the console so I can plug this all in. Luckily we have this nice handy fuse panel in the passenger footwell! Here are a couple of USB charging ports I have standing by:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNDDTP6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078FTSJWJ

...and here are the 3D Printer files for the clamp:

Attachments

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I didn't realize that was available!

However, I think it fails one of my primary criteria. It requires that adhesive be applied to the console. I expect that this also indicates it can't be moved or relocated if you want to switch sides or slide it up and down. Hopefully that adhesive is not gluing it to the leather!

"1. Use the enclosed alcohol pad to clean the area where the ProClip is to be installed. Peel off the adhesive tape cover on the ProClip. Press the thin edge on the upper part of the ProClip into the gap between the console frame and the display. "

They do have some very cool stuff though! Lots of specific phone mounts WITH USB aligned connectors! Very nice! Very reasonable pricing!

ProClip (USA)

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
(Cross Post)

I got the 2.4A / 4.0A charger wired up and installed. This little guy fit just perfect:

Here's a photo of the charger sitting on that little rail just below my phone. Attached with VHB tape (removable). Looks like I need to get a shorter USB cable...

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 20200826_133107

My phone mount is now "hard wired" to a high power USB charger. The charger turns on/off when the car turns on/off. The phone automatically connects/disconnects to the USB connector when its slid in/out of the phone mount. :)

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 20200826_133059

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is Version 2 of the clamp. I cleaned up the profile and tweaked a few of the angles. Note also the fuzzy Velcro strip to help protect the leather!

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 20200829_192145

and I replaced my longer USB-C charging cable with a 12 inch version. It fits perfectly!

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 20200829_193507

...and here are the Version 2 3D Print Files if anyone wants them:

Attachments

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Here is Version 2 of the clamp. I cleaned up the profile and tweaked a few of the angles. Note also the fuzzy Velcro strip to help protect the leather!

20200829_192145.jpg

and I replaced my longer USB-C charging cable with a 12 inch version. It fits perfectly!

20200829_193507.jpg

...and here are the Version 2 3D Print Files if anyone wants them:
[/QUOTE

To what power source are you connecting the charger? Where is it located?
(Cross Post)

I got the 2.4A / 4.0A charger wired up and installed. This little guy fit just perfect:

Here's a photo of the charger sitting on that little rail just below my phone. Attached with VHB tape (removable). Looks like I need to get a shorter USB cable...

20200826_133107.jpg

My phone mount is now "hard wired" to a high power USB charger. The charger turns on/off when the car turns on/off. The phone automatically connects/disconnects to the USB connector when its slid in/out of the phone mount. :)

20200826_133059.jpg
To what power source are you connecting the charger? Where is it located?

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Directly into an unused socket in the fuse box located in the passenger foot well. I documented the exact slot somewhere in the forums. let me look for it...

Here ya go

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I admire your skills in making stuff like this.
But why would you use your phone while driving?
I mean, the only thing that I need is handsfree calling and that's already implemented.
And a charge option is also already available...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- Waze (While the PCM is displaying the default Nav screen)
- Valentine One Radar remote interface
- Weather / Radar
- Porsche Connect (assuming they get it working reliably someday)
- Charging NA (also assuming they get it fixed)
- ABRP
- Plugshare
- EA App

Lots of stuff... It provides an additional screen to display data that is not available, or to augment, what is being displayed on the main console. Its nice to have options!

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
- Waze (While the PCM is displaying the default Nav screen)
- Valentine One Radar remote interface
- Weather / Radar
- Porsche Connect (assuming they get it working reliably someday)
- Charging NA (also assuming they get it fixed)
- ABRP
- Plugshare
- EA App

Lots of stuff... It provides an additional screen to display data that is not available, or to augment, what is being displayed on the main console. Its nice to have options!
I think it's just highly distracting but that's just me:
- Waze: Google nav shows what I need (like construction, de-tour etc).
- Valentine One Radar remote interface: doesn't need to be in reach or being displayed, connection through BT maybe? (my radar warnings come through BT of my Radar app).
- Weather / Radar: Taycan has the weather button, don't need that while driving. I know what weather it is and what it will be for the next hours.
- Porsche Connect: don't need that either, what for?
- Charging NA: don't need that, set the destination in nav and I'm off, no problem.
- ABRP: what's that?
- Plugshare: like before, plan your trip in front, don't need it while driving.
- EA App: same, don't need it.

I don't want to be distracted by all this so I really don't need my phone.
Anyway, it's still a nice holder.
Now, can you fix something that'll activate my passenger screen while driving?
I really would like that....(just for fun, not for actual use of course) :)

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it's just highly distracting but that's just me:
- Waze: Google nav shows what I need (like construction, de-tour etc).
- Valentine One Radar remote interface: doesn't need to be in reach or being displayed, connection through BT maybe? (my radar warnings come through BT of my Radar app).
- Weather / Radar: Taycan has the weather button, don't need that while driving. I know what weather it is and what it will be for the next hours.
- Porsche Connect: don't need that either, what for?
- Charging NA: don't need that, set the destination in nav and I'm off, no problem.
- ABRP: what's that?
- Plugshare: like before, plan your trip in front, don't need it while driving.
- EA App: same, don't need it.

I don't want to be distracted by all this so I really don't need my phone.
Anyway, it's still a nice holder.
Now, can you fix something that'll activate my passenger screen while driving?
I really would like that....(just for fun, not for actual use of course) :)
Who are you trying to convince? Me or You?

You asked what I would use it for... So I gave you a few examples. I want my phone within reach and available as an additional independent standalone display/interface.

Its OK that YOU don't want/need it... But please don't try and tell me what I want/need...

...and, its only "distracting" if you get "distracted"...

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Who are you trying to convince? Me or You?

You asked what I would use it for... So I gave you a few examples. I want my phone within reach and available as an additional independent standalone display/interface.

Its OK that YOU don't want/need it... But please don't try and tell me what I want/need...

...and, its only "distracting" if you get "distracted"...
I guess I wanted to order one but apparently I don't need one.
So yes, I've convinced myself.
If it bothers you, I can remove my msg. :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I admire your skills in making stuff like this.
But why would you use your phone while driving?
I mean, the only thing that I need is handsfree calling and that's already implemented.
And a charge option is also already available...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I need my phone because the navi in the car does not show how busy the roads are.

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 1600857422786

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congratulations to those for which the Porsche PCM/Nav screen offers anything and everything they could ever want!

However, the possibilities for what can be displayed on a smart phone are virtually limitless.

...and I like having the additional screen and interface available - even if it just keeps my phone handy when I stop for a beverage or a charge.
Sponsored

Last edited: